The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
If Gandalf Caught Up with the Dwarves

Bofur's Hat
The Shire

Mar 1 2015, 9:56pm

Post #1 of 4 (728 views)
Shortcut
If Gandalf Caught Up with the Dwarves Can't Post

While watching the DOS EE today a question struck me when Gandalf says "Do not enter the mountain without me" just outside the elven gate of Mirkwood.
This lead me to ask the question: Of Gandalf caught up with the Dwarves before entering Erebor what would happen?

Would Gandalf go with Bilbo to recover the Arkenstone?
If they awoke the dragon would Gandalf try to reason with the Dragon?
If that fails would Gandalf lead the dwarves in a fight against the Dragon?

just a few thoughts

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Mar 1 2015, 10:49pm

Post #2 of 4 (662 views)
Shortcut
If Gandalf was there [In reply to] Can't Post

possibly less ruin in Laketown

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 1 2015, 11:02pm

Post #3 of 4 (656 views)
Shortcut
I think it would've been pretty similar or the same, really... [In reply to] Can't Post

The reason Bilbo was on the quest was to be their burglar. So even with Gandalf there they would have sent Bilbo in alone - because that was their original plan.

So everything inside would likely play out the same Bilbo would let slip the barrel clue and Smaug would probably still have taken it out on Laketown.

I'm not sure what Gandalf's presence would've achieved, really. I think he just said "don't enter without me" because he didn't want to miss out on the fun! But they had to be at that door at the exact right moment, so even without Gandalf it's not really an option to not go inside.

It was Gandalf's fault he was late to the party. But of course he would say he arrived precisely when he meant to. Tongue

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 1 2015, 11:48pm

Post #4 of 4 (624 views)
Shortcut
Interesting question... [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose he would have led the company much as he does in Moria. He might have been able to reason Thorin out of his dragon-sickness or at least distracted him from it.

And maybe when Smaug got angry he would have tried to stand between him and the dwarves as he does with the Balrog.....

And maybe he would have been fried....Shocked

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.