Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Still in Chicago area theaters but farther away from me and standard format - 2 showings

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 1 2015, 9:39pm

Post #1 of 14 (1001 views)
Shortcut
Still in Chicago area theaters but farther away from me and standard format - 2 showings Can't Post

Showtimes for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Sun, Mar 1Mon, Mar 2Tue, Mar 3Wed, Mar 4
All timesMorningAfternoonEveningNight
Picture Show @ Bloomingdale - Map
Standard 6:40pm 9:50

Marcus Value Oak Creek Cinema - Map
Standard 6:00pm 9:00

Budget South Cinemas - Map
Standard 7:00pm 9:45

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Mar 1 2015, 9:40pm)

Bofur's Hat
The Shire

Mar 1 2015, 10:01pm

Post #2 of 14 (946 views)
Shortcut
Kinda Wierd [In reply to] Can't Post

Its strange that the digital version of BOFA comes out on iTunes on Tuesday and there are still showings :)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Mar 1 2015, 10:29pm

Post #3 of 14 (939 views)
Shortcut
BOTFA is back in Columbus in 3D HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

I was very pleasantly surprised Friday to see that BOTFA had appeared at our second run theater not just in 3D, which I expected, but also in HFR, which they've never done before. Naturally I went to see it right away and though it was in one of the small theaters, the picture and sound were excellent. In fact, perhaps because of the smallness of the theater, the sound was really good, especially during Smaug's fly-overs of Laketown at the beginning. I heard a lot more sounds mixed in with the "rushing" sound when he was approaching and then going overhead and it really added a lot to that scene where we see Tauriel listening, so that was kind of cool.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 1 2015, 11:09pm

Post #4 of 14 (926 views)
Shortcut
Were you alone? ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Elarie
Grey Havens

Mar 1 2015, 11:43pm

Post #5 of 14 (916 views)
Shortcut
No, there were some other people there [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a Friday matinee, so not too many people, but that particular theater does lots of family business (because of the low prices) and gets good crowds on the weekends so I would guess that there were more people there later. I was thinking about going again today, but woke up this morning to more snow, and it's been snowing all day and the streets are bad, so I put it off. Looking forward to some more viewings though. Smile

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 1 2015, 11:49pm

Post #6 of 14 (915 views)
Shortcut
I wonder when the global last showing will be....when they have an official tally? [In reply to] Can't Post

I would assume sometime this month.

It does not show up on Boxoffice Mojo...odd as some older releases still do.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hobbit3.htm
Domestic total as of 2/26 - $254,038,783

No updated foreign gross...still 2/16.....$697,600,000
China was up to 121M.

Sitting at $951,638,783.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Mar 1 2015, 11:55pm)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Mar 2 2015, 12:00am

Post #7 of 14 (905 views)
Shortcut
I don't know - do they count second run theaters? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not really sure how that works. I think the previous Hobbit movies were here in our second run theater for about a month at least, but I don't remember exactly. I think they were still showing when the DVD came out, but I admit my memory is a little bit fuzzy, I could be wrong.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 2 2015, 12:10am

Post #8 of 14 (898 views)
Shortcut
I am sure they do but the receipts total is now pretty low...not enough to [In reply to] Can't Post

budge the last overall total much....maybe $100,000 or so.

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2015, 9:16pm

Post #9 of 14 (832 views)
Shortcut
Last showing here was yesterday. [In reply to] Can't Post

I managed to see it yesterday, and I'm glad I got to go since that turns out to be its last showing on New Zealand's South Island, as far as I can tell. There were about 10 people in there with me, and at least a couple of them hadn't seen it before (and had not read the book) because I heard them talking afterwards and they were astonished that Thorin, Fili and Kili were killed. Seems like the end of an era now -- no more Middle-earth movies in a theatre. I wonder if there's any hope to vague rumours that we could have something more to look forward to in a few years? Fingers crossed. I can't think of anything better -- well, *almost* -- than sitting back in a squishy theatre seat and losing myself in Middle-earth once again.

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 2 2015, 11:46pm

Post #10 of 14 (814 views)
Shortcut
*Sigh*... Couldn't agree more // [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarewien
Rohan

Mar 3 2015, 12:16am

Post #11 of 14 (811 views)
Shortcut
It ended its theater run last Thursday in my neck of the woods... [In reply to] Can't Post

and wasn't playing nearly as long as the other two (since both AUJ and DoS were playing for at least another month, right up until the Blu-ray and DVD was released). Unlike the other two, I only managed to catch it six times (though it would have been eight if I wouldn't have skipped those two weeks I could have gone) as opposed to 11 for DoS and 10 for AUJ, but there was a good chance I wouldn't have went as much anyway, due to the fate of certain characters (I prefer both AUJ and DoS to BoFA, even though the end of AUJ also makes me cry, but it's not as bad as BoFA, not by a long shot).Unsure

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 4 2015, 5:05pm

Post #12 of 14 (751 views)
Shortcut
I checked today since the digital download became available and it is still in one theater [In reply to] Can't Post

in the suburban area with several showings through the weekend.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 4 2015, 8:14pm

Post #13 of 14 (741 views)
Shortcut
According to Box Office Mojo... [In reply to] Can't Post

... BOFA is still playing in 304 theatres in North America.

http://boxofficemojo.com/...y&id=hobbit3.htm

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 4 2015, 11:47pm

Post #14 of 14 (725 views)
Shortcut
I believe... [In reply to] Can't Post

We have dollar theaters to thank for the increase in showings. Good chance for people to see it once more, if its nearby (I'm not seeing it near me--then again, I'm waiting for the disc).

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Mar 4 2015, 11:48pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.