Valinor

Mar 3 2015, 12:44am

Post #26 of 32 (1969 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Ilmatar [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you able translate these:

Link to original image: http://screencapped.net/...19#top_display_media

Link to original image: http://screencapped.net/...20#top_display_media

Also, have you ever read Oakentoons? Most of them have a whole bunch of runes in between the panels. Not sure if they're real, or just images Peckish Owl randomly included, but would be fun to find out. Here's an example: http://peckishowl.deviantart.com/...y-Mountain-514158789

Thanks for checking these out when you have the time! Smile

#OneLastTime

Ilmatar
Rohan

Mar 3 2015, 8:21am

Post #27 of 32 (1955 views)
Shortcut
rune snippets [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy to be of service. Smile

1) The top on the stairway's side says "the founda" (foundation?) and the lower row maybe "...bor are (some letter) Erebor"? But that doesn't make sense. The first letters are not that clear but in the middle it says "Erebor". The top row on the right says "hammer". These don't seem to make a sensible whole, it looks like the texts should continue in a nearby stairway so they could be read while facing the stairs from a certain direction.

2) Top row: "...head ta gu..." ??? And after Bilbo's head "...ecret" (secret?).
Bottom row at first made so sense, but then I realized that the runes are UPSIDE DOWN: "...ith ge..." and after Bilbo's arm "...herein", I can't make out the rest.

I have read Oakentoons but not all of them (yet). In the "Not So Lonely Mountain" Tongue at least, the same text repeats between pictures: "Oakentoons the impressive adventures of Thorin the Majestic peckish".
In this one the text goes "Oakentoons the impressive adventures of Thorin the Majestic pecish deuiantart com." Either deuiant has a typo, or the letter that should be F is taken from some other runic alphabet.

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on Mar 3 2015, 8:24am)

Kim
Valinor

Mar 3 2015, 8:46pm

Post #28 of 32 (1923 views)
Shortcut
Thanks again [In reply to] Can't Post

I did see that first one had some snippets of translations done previously, and it does seem like there's more content wrapped around the side of the stairs. And that's kind of funny that some were upside down in the second - whoops! I'm impressed that Peckish Owl did create relevant content for her posts (assuming that was a little typo for DeviantArt).

#OneLastTime

Ilmatar
Rohan

Mar 3 2015, 9:02pm

Post #29 of 32 (1922 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

A correction to my post: Naturally I meant the letter V in DeviantArt, not F. Blush And as there really is no specific letter for V in Elder Futhark - not that I know of, anyway - U can be used in its place. So there is no typo after all.

banaili
Bree

Mar 4 2015, 2:32pm

Post #30 of 32 (1887 views)
Shortcut
Yes--how beautiful are those! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I know what you mean! Generally, the only clue that the song is in dwarvish is when its sung by a chorus of men with baritone or bass voices. I think that's what I liked about "Feast of Starlight," though. We got to hear it as though it is a more immortal language, through an angelic soprano voice! Heart (And it's just SO cool that they mixed dwarvish and elvish into one song!)

I'm sure Mr. Kircher has a whole bunch of dwarvish words and phrases stored away in his arsenal! Tongue He seems like the sort to really get into the language aspect of his character, which does seem quite fun! ^_^

Cirashala
Valinor

Mar 7 2015, 10:13pm

Post #31 of 32 (1850 views)
Shortcut
now I can only imagine [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel trying to have a very serious conversation, call Kili "Amralime" and for him to burst out laughing.....Wink

Ah, the puzzles of masculine and feminine forms for an English speaker.....it can be very confusing for us Evil

Ilmatar
Rohan

Mar 7 2015, 10:35pm

Post #32 of 32 (1844 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel trying to have a very serious conversation, call Kili "Amralime" and for him to burst out laughing.....Wink

Indeed! Laugh

But at least an English speaker has "he" and "she". Masculine and feminine forms are totally nonexistent in my native tongue, and we have only one third-person personal pronoun. I recall that when I was younger and learning English,
a few times I accidentally said "him" when referring to a female (or "her" for a male) and got corrected quite quickly. Blush

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.