The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
The Charm of Thorin Oakenshield in FOTR

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2014, 2:57pm

Post #1 of 6 (1426 views)
Shortcut
The Charm of Thorin Oakenshield in FOTR Can't Post

Dont you feel, watching FOTR, that Thorin´s desire, and charm in his last moments are fully acomplished in the begining of FOTR showing the shire in his full splendour and Bilbo having a really good time?

Also I think Bilbo´s decision of adopting Frodo is something Thorin teached him by taking care of Fili and Kili.

Its very emotive now thinking this, but from now on, the pain of his demise will be eased in the begining of this wonderfull movie and the fact that thanks to the lesson he teached to Bilbo, Frodo Baggins became the heir of Bilbo and ultimately saved Middle Earth

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 27 2014, 4:04pm

Post #2 of 6 (1079 views)
Shortcut
A very thoughtful perspective [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Also I think Bilbo´s decision of adopting Frodo is something Thorin teached him by taking care of Fili and Kili.

I like that idea. Surely Bilbo's experiences influenced him, how he must have observed how Fili and Kili looked up to Thorin. And he was there when Thorin - even under the influence of the gold - called out "Welcome, my sister's sons..." The relationship must have had a bearing on his decision to raise his younger relative.

Very thoughtful observation, Mr A, thanks for that Smile!

Thrain II
Lorien

Jan 5 2015, 5:06pm

Post #3 of 6 (861 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I love the fact that Gandalf mentions Thorin in FOTR EE, and the value of his gift to Bilbo. Smile

Kim
Valinor

Jan 6 2015, 4:02am

Post #4 of 6 (921 views)
Shortcut
I meant to respond to this sooner [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this idea, thank you for posting. Smile

#OneLastTime

He is a wizard, you know!
The Shire

Feb 22 2015, 5:56pm

Post #5 of 6 (750 views)
Shortcut
Why this obsession with Fili and Kili? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I have to respectfully disagree with this one. Maybe it's just a pet peeve of mine that most people seem to favor Fili and Kili, and especially Thorin's relationship with them, over the rest of the Company. Fili and Kili are no more important than any of the other dwarves in The Hobbit. Rant over.

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

"Do you wish me a good morning, or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not, or that you feel good this morning, or that it is a morning to be good on?"

"Thorin and Company at your service!"

"Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole."

"A box without hinges, key, or lid / Yet golden treasure inside is hid."

"I come from under the hill, and under hills and over hills my path has led. And through the air. I am he that walks unseen."

"My armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are like swords, my claws spears, the shock from my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!"

"If more of us valued your ways - food and cheer above hoarded gold - it would be a merrier world."

"You're a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I'm very fond of you, but you're only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all."

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 28 2015, 11:46pm

Post #6 of 6 (729 views)
Shortcut
They were princes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin explains in DoS that Fili is heir to the throne. Thorin, Fili, Kili and Dain are the last in the royal line of Durin. Balin and Dwalin are also in the family tree, but not directly in line for the throne.

So they are more important than the rest of the company in terms of status and what they represent - which is hope for the future of Erebor.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.