The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Shipping charges US to NZ.

Moahunter
Rohan

Feb 28 2015, 9:26pm

Post #1 of 10 (688 views)
Shortcut
Shipping charges US to NZ. Can't Post

I have recently been buying some books online.
Some Abebooks vendors have extortionate charges for shipping, US$75 for a single book when others ask as little as US$5 for the same book.
I have even asked for lower/slower shipping and been refused.
Is there some kind of fraud being practiced? .

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 28 2015, 9:37pm

Post #2 of 10 (627 views)
Shortcut
IMO possibly [In reply to] Can't Post

Overpriced shipping goes on in the U.S., why not elsewhere? I know when I ordered the stamps from NZ, I had no problem at all w. shipping rates, considering it was air mail.

Depends on the shipping method and if insurance is being included. But 75$ for one book seems excessive, unless the book is really huge, and what are they shipping it in? A crate? Are they shipping some sort of fast rate? I wouldn't pay it unless it was a very pricey collectible, and there was good reason for that kind of a charge. Sounds squirrely to me - I had some stuff shipped to and from the UK - and there was no charge like that (and I know NZ is farther). Point being, that sounds too high. Does the seller even bother to explain the charges?
Frown

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 28 2015, 10:20pm

Post #3 of 10 (605 views)
Shortcut
It could depend on how many books you're ordering and how they're packaging them [In reply to] Can't Post

I find it close to impossible to figure out how to anticipate how much a package is going to cost me to ship/mail something (either within the US or from the US to other countries).

But my experience is, if I can fit something into a relatively small flat 'envelope' like package, I can get reasonable shipping overseas. But anything in a box seems like an automatic $40 and up.

I've tried to ship to a few different countries now and I'm pretty much giving up sharing anything with overseas friends other than a card or something that will fit in a card. In fact, I'm pretty much looking for other options than shipping boxes even here in the US. I don't spend a lot of money on gifts and often I find myself spending more on the shipping than I do on the gift. That seems to be a poor choice on how to do things, in my opinion.

But I can't offer you any more info than that. Do you do etsy? They have a support forum that I was looking at last night for kicks and someone there might be able to clue you in on overseas shipping from a shipped-from-US perspective. The same support type forum might exist for eBay.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Moahunter
Rohan

Feb 28 2015, 10:26pm

Post #4 of 10 (598 views)
Shortcut
Here is an example....... [In reply to] Can't Post

Shipping Rates:
21 - 36 * business days 21 - 35 * business days
First book: US$ 75.00 US$ 74.99
Additional books from same seller: US$ 30.00 US$ 29.99
Bookseller Shipping Terms: Shipping costs are based on books weighing 2.2 LB, or 1 KG. If your book order is heavy or oversized, we may contact you to let you know extra shipping is required.

* Shipping speeds are estimates based on the carriers' delivery times and cannot be guaranteed. If your order will pass through Customs, please expect a delay. Any applicable Customs duties or brokerage fees are the responsibility of the buyer. If local sales taxes apply, or if the book is heavy or oversized and requires additional shipping, the bookseller may contact you directly about extra charges.

I have paid significantly less for non-express and received the item in 4 days when the estimated delivery time was 25-31 days!!!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 28 2015, 11:15pm

Post #5 of 10 (603 views)
Shortcut
Nothing the least bit rational about shipping charges. [In reply to] Can't Post

When we were in NZ in 2013, we wanted to ship wine home from some lovely vineyards in the Marlborough district. The wines were $NZ25/bottle. The vineyards did not want to ship less than 12 bottles, which was ok, but the price was>$NZ350 a case (air parcel post) just for shipping, even though we'd have been happy to have it go surface and take several weeks. ! So, we just took our quota in our luggage.

Here in Hawaii, we often want to order stuff online from companies on the US mainland. Shipping should be no problem for relatively small stuff, because the USPS has no extra charges for shipping anywhere in the US, including Alaska & Hawaii, but many mainland companies insist on shipping by UPS or FedEx 2nd day air, at a cost which often exceeds the cost of the item, and an amazing number refuse to ship to Hawaii at all.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 1 2015, 3:48pm

Post #6 of 10 (556 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been shipping books out lately myself and it's shocking what I have to pay even using the cheapest, slowest "media mail" option.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 1 2015, 5:23pm

Post #7 of 10 (574 views)
Shortcut
maybe it's using "flat rate boxes"?? from the U.S. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices.aspx?country=10324&m=13&dpb=0&mdt=2015/03/02%2008:00&mt=12&dok=XX&dvi=100.00

I got curious and plugged some numbers into USPS' international calculator for flat rate Priority Mail International, item value $100, medium box, and the flat shipping rate was around $60 from U.S. to NZ.

Yeesh. Maybe that's where the high cost is coming in, the use of flat rates vs. weighing actual item and using "book rate".Unsure And the seller doesn't want to discuss it as using flat rate is easier.

(This post was edited by Avandel on Mar 1 2015, 5:24pm)

Annael
Immortal

Mar 1 2015, 5:24pm

Post #8 of 10 (557 views)
Shortcut
flat rate usually turns out cheaper [In reply to] Can't Post

I shipped a lot of gift boxes to my niece in Morocco when she was in the Peace Corps, and flat rate usually worked out much cheaper. It didn't matter how HEAVY the box was.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 1 2015, 6:33pm

Post #9 of 10 (556 views)
Shortcut
I highly recommend The Book Depository in the UK. [In reply to] Can't Post

It ships books for free - the flipside being that it takes 10 days for books to get down here, but it's still a bargain IMO.

http://www.bookdepository.com/

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 1 2015, 8:18pm

Post #10 of 10 (535 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure book rate for USPS is available for shipments outside the US [In reply to] Can't Post

And book rate is, I believe, only a feature for USPS. Not for FedEx or UPS.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.