JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit: On the Doorstep
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Goldeneye
Lorien

Feb 28 2015, 6:10pm

Post #1 of 31 (2082 views)
Shortcut
JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit: On the Doorstep Can't Post

I could use some helpful opinions here. I realize the scene of the company finding the secret door is pretty close to how it was in the book. But after watching it over and over, I felt like it could be condensed without losing too much, so a 7-minute scene was then cut down to 2 minutes. Basically, I cut out the section where the dwarves try breaking the door down, become discouraged and start heading home. Like I said, I know parts of this were in the book but it really does take up a lot of time in the film. This in turn could give more breathing room for some EE scenes when BOTFA is released.
I'm honestly undecided whether I want to keep this altered version in my fanedit or not, so let me know what you think. Trimming a scene like this means I'm not completely adhering to a "book faithful" version of the film, but at the same time the film's pace is more consistent with the other cuts I've made. Naturally I can't share the clip here but I'm sure you can find it with a bit of digging.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2015, 6:21pm

Post #2 of 31 (1970 views)
Shortcut
In the book... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it took even more time. Since you can't add in days or weeks to be more "faithful" I see no reason why you cannot make additional simplification to improve the flow of your edit.

I'm a little unclear what exactly takes 7 minutes, from your discussion. Have you cut out (for example) the view of Dale? Or are you starting the 7 minute clock at a later point?

Goldeneye
Lorien

Feb 28 2015, 6:25pm

Post #3 of 31 (1966 views)
Shortcut
re: [In reply to] Can't Post

From the first shot in my clip to the last shot, in the original film there is about 6-7 minutes of footage in between those clips. I've cut it down to two minutes. The scene where they are overlooking Dale is before all of that stuff (and I definitely kept that in!).

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 28 2015, 6:39pm

Post #4 of 31 (1969 views)
Shortcut
Another poster gave you one helpful suggestion... [In reply to] Can't Post

...which you don't seem to have taken on board. It really isn't wise to call your fan edit "JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit". That name really isn't yours to use and it could land you in trouble.

As for the scene, I think it's one of the best in the film. It takes up time because it's important.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Feb 28 2015, 6:45pm

Post #5 of 31 (1965 views)
Shortcut
dormouse [In reply to] Can't Post

I have taken the title suggestion into consideration. If you have any ideas I'd like to hear them.

How about just The Hobbit? No subtitles or prefixes.

(This post was edited by Goldeneye on Feb 28 2015, 6:45pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 28 2015, 7:54pm

Post #6 of 31 (1909 views)
Shortcut
How about "My edit of Peter Jackson's Hobbit" [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be much more accurate.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

burrahobbit
Rohan

Feb 28 2015, 8:22pm

Post #7 of 31 (1896 views)
Shortcut
It's a confusing thread name [In reply to] Can't Post

When I see a thread title "JRR Tolkien's the Hobbit", it seems like it's a discussion about how PJ adapted the book, rather than fan editing.

Maybe include Fan Edit at the beginning of the thread title, especially if there's going to be a lot of these

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 28 2015, 11:04pm

Post #8 of 31 (1823 views)
Shortcut
Not sure why you need a title for something that's meant..... [In reply to] Can't Post

... just for yourself to watch - but I couldn't improve on Voronwe's suggestion.

The Hobbit has already been taken!

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 28 2015, 11:20pm

Post #9 of 31 (1813 views)
Shortcut
Here's a few titles... [In reply to] Can't Post

A Hobbit's Tale
A Hobbit's Holiday
There and Back Again (I prefer this)

Or any mixture, eg.

The Hobbit: There and Back Again
or
There and Back Again: A Hobbit's Tale.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Feb 28 2015, 11:42pm

Post #10 of 31 (1802 views)
Shortcut
There and Back Again [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I've seen quite a few planned fanedits that are already using There and Back Again, unfortunately.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 28 2015, 11:52pm

Post #11 of 31 (1790 views)
Shortcut
Just cut out the filler: 'Th Hbbt' // [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 1 2015, 12:19am

Post #12 of 31 (1782 views)
Shortcut
Or 'The Hobbit: Legoless Edition' [In reply to] Can't Post

If you can think of a better pun you might attract more attention through sheer silliness. People remember a funny title. Smile

Bishop
Gondor

Mar 1 2015, 12:30am

Post #13 of 31 (1779 views)
Shortcut
Why not just call it [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit: Goldeneye Fan Edit

TheHutt
Gondor

Mar 1 2015, 8:11am

Post #14 of 31 (1689 views)
Shortcut
Do consider changing the title [In reply to] Can't Post

Usage of the Professor's name by a mere fan editor is prepostrous to say the least.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 1 2015, 3:28pm

Post #15 of 31 (1591 views)
Shortcut
It's not just for him to watch [In reply to] Can't Post

Goldeneye has been quite upfront that he means to distribute his fan edit of Peter Jackson's Hobbit to anyone who claims that they own the source materials. Of course, how he is going to verify those claims has not yet been made clear. I think we might have to wait quite some time for that little tidbit of information.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 1 2015, 3:48pm

Post #16 of 31 (1585 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately. Yes, I know ..... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that was just a gentle reminder that if he wants to stay within the law that's all it really should be. Something just for him to watch. The very act of giving the thing a title at all seems so inappropriate to me. How can you give a title to someone else's work...

Sorry, I think this really gets to me because I inhabit a world where nothing happens without copyright clearance...

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 1 2015, 4:00pm

Post #17 of 31 (1578 views)
Shortcut
Oh, for an ignore function on these boards [In reply to] Can't Post

I share your sentiments, dormouse, as ever. I really wish all these fan so-called 'edit' threads would be deleted by the moderators. Coming from a background where any such tampering with original, copyrighted work is considered an absolute 'no-no' (and where I have come across people being sued for lesser offences), I find it bizarre that these threads are not deleted straightaway.

Anyway, nothing I can do about it, unfortunately.

Very off-putting.

In Reply To
... that was just a gentle reminder that if he wants to stay within the law that's all it really should be. Something just for him to watch. The very act of giving the thing a title at all seems so inappropriate to me. How can you give a title to someone else's work...

Sorry, I think this really gets to me because I inhabit a world where nothing happens without copyright clearance...

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Mar 1 2015, 4:02pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 1 2015, 4:22pm

Post #18 of 31 (1561 views)
Shortcut
Fan edits are not illegal [In reply to] Can't Post

and we do not suppress discussion of perfectly legal behavior as long as the discussion is within the boundaries of the Terms of Service. This is not a work environment and rules that might be required in a professional capacity do not apply here.

Anyone is free to ignore threads - there's no need to open them if you find them off-putting.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Mar 1 2015, 4:44pm

Post #19 of 31 (1540 views)
Shortcut
more titles [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are a few title suggestions I've gathered up. I'd rather not attach my own name to the title since (as so many on here have adamantly reminded me) these are not my films to begin with anyway. Right now I still prefer the original title (JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit), because this version will be much closer to Tolkien's book than the current films.

-The Hobbit
-JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit
-There and Back Again: A Hobbit's Tale
-An Unexpected Vision: A Hobbit's Tale
-The Hobbit: The Quest of Erebor
-The Hobbit: Electric Boogaloo

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 1 2015, 4:49pm

Post #20 of 31 (1532 views)
Shortcut
Can't fan edit threads go to the Fan Art board? [In reply to] Can't Post

Rather than clogging up the movie spoiler and discussion board? In the past couple of days, there has been no movie discussion. At the end of the day, it's just fan art. Would a piece of fan fiction using the movie script and removing what they didn't like stay on this board?

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 1 2015, 4:57pm

Post #21 of 31 (1527 views)
Shortcut
I'd go with... [In reply to] Can't Post

... There and Back Again: A Hobbit's Tale, the in-story title.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 1 2015, 4:58pm

Post #22 of 31 (1524 views)
Shortcut
It's a fine line [In reply to] Can't Post

Discussion about the scenes from the movies and how one might use them to build a fan edit are appropriate for this board. Links to actual fan edits and not allowed at all, so what might otherwise go on the Fan Art board are not allowed anywhere.

Fan fiction based on a script is better on Fan Art because the movie script is not what's been distributed to theaters. It's more like a book. I realize there's a bit of discrepancy between fan fiction and movie edits, but the law is very clear on distributing fan edits of movies, but not as clear on fan fiction - fan fiction mostly is comprised of imagined scenes and dialogue, but fan edits are using published material. We do review the fan fiction that is posted here to make sure it doesn't contain too much text from the books, but fan edits of the movies inherently include copyrighted material.

If someone creates a home made version of the movies, that goes to Fan Art, and we make sure they don't contain word-for-word dialogue from the movies before we allow them to stay on the Fan Art board.

If there's no discussion about the movies, why not start one? The content is determined by the people who post here.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 1 2015, 5:11pm

Post #23 of 31 (1518 views)
Shortcut
I find it hilarious [In reply to] Can't Post

how worked up people get around here over something people do for fun which hurts no one. It honestly never occurred to me that people would be so vociferously opposed to fan edits until i came here.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 1 2015, 5:32pm

Post #24 of 31 (1496 views)
Shortcut
I'm not questioning the legality of it. [In reply to] Can't Post

That horse has been flogged.

I'm questioning the nature of fan edits. Honestly, I do not see the difference between someone taking the moving pictures of the movie, turning it into their definitive version, and asking for peer opinions; than someone taking the written words of the movie, turning it into their definitive version, and asking for peer opinions.

The very essence of both means they are fan art. Surely a thread should go onto the board which describes it best, rather than what potential it might have.

I did ask this on Feedback, so I'm happy to take this discussion there, rather than further clogging up this thread with non-movie discussions.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Mar 1 2015, 5:35pm

Post #25 of 31 (1496 views)
Shortcut
It is a fine line but, for what it's worth, I would agree with Daniel. [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of the recent posts seem to be less about the movies and how one might create a fan edit and more about specific edits.

I would assume this is the same for fan fiction/ pictures. It may generate discussion on how those fan items have used the sources but the primary focus is the fan item, not the source.

I would also imagine the posters might have more of the sort of discussion they are (seem to be) looking for there I.e. About the editing / fan item making process.

But your call, of course.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.