DOS Chapter of the Week: Under Arrest

Starglass
Rivendell

Feb 28 2015, 4:32pm

Post #1 of 14 (751 views)
Shortcut
DOS Chapter of the Week: Under Arrest Can't Post

**DOS Chapter of the Week: Under Arrest**

Hello everybody and welcome to this week's CHOW! The current chapter (Under Arrest) is quite short but I'm sure we'll still find some good material for discussion. And, contrary to my last CHOW, I believe I have finally learned how to upload images! Wink
Let's begin.

The scene opens with Bard sneaking out of his house with the black arrow, knowing that Smaug is on his way. He has recently just revealed that he has been keeping the arrow in his house.

1. What do you believe is the main reason Bard kept the arrow for so many years? Was it simply handed down from his ancestor, Girion? Or was he planning in advance for a possible dragon attack?

Bard and Bain have a brief conversation about the arrow and Bard's plan.

2. What does this show about the relationship between father and son? Did you like how that relationship played out in DOS and BotFA?

3. Does this scene build
well on what happens with Bard and Bain in BotFA?

A nice shot of the windlance.

Unfortunately, Bard does not get very far along with his plans before he is spotted by some guards. This initiates a chase sequence through Laketown.

4. What did you think of this brief though busy chase sequence (choreography, etc.)? How does it compare to other chase scenes throughout the films?

A guard informs Bard that he is "under arrest." When do you think the Master decided to go so far as to arrest him? Do you think their disagreement over whether or not Thorin and Co. should go to the mountain precipitated this decision?

6. Clearly the conflict between Bard and the Master is much stronger in the films than the book. Do you like this change?

After being chased through Laketown, Bard is finally cornered and knocked unconscious by the Master. He is then, (as we see later), thrown in jail.

Ouch! Frown

7. What did you think of this change? Did having Bard in jail (and unconscious for some time) heighten the suspense of Smaug's impending attack?

And some general questions.

8. What did you think of the cinematography in this scene? Did any particular shots stand out?

9. Did you like the use of stunts and extras in this scene?

10. Any other thoughts?

Well, that about finishes what I came up with. I very much enjoyed the opportunity to host another CHOW and look forward to hearing all your answers! Smile

(This post was edited by Starglass on Feb 28 2015, 4:32pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 1 2015, 4:16pm

Post #2 of 14 (598 views)
Shortcut
My brief thoughts: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1. What do you believe is the main reason Bard kept the arrow for so many years? Was it simply handed down from his ancestor, Girion? Or was he planning in advance for a possible dragon attack?

I don't think he was planning in advance for a dragon attack, but I imagine he would have kept the arrow out of sentiment at least, and possibly in case he could use it in the future.

2. What does this show about the relationship between father and son? Did you like how that relationship played out in DOS and BotFA?

I think their relationship appears very close and they trust each other. I do like how the relationship played out, especially in BoFA.

3. Does this scene build

Yes, certainly.

4. What did you think of this brief though busy chase sequence (choreography, etc.)? How does it compare to other chase scenes throughout the films?

I think it works very well. It is certainly better than any chase scene involving Bloom.

5. When do you think the Master decided to go so far as to arrest him? Do you think their disagreement over whether or not Thorin and Co. should go to the mountain precipitated this decision?

I think the Master was simply waiting for the opportunity to arrest Bard, since he stood in his way.

6. Clearly the conflict between Bard and the Master is much stronger in the films than the book. Do you like this change?

Yes, definitely. I think Bard is very indistinct in the book, and don't even remember the Master!

7. What did you think of this change? Did having Bard in jail (and unconscious for some time) heighten the suspense of Smaug's impending attack?

I think it fleshed out the story in a good way. In fact, I could have done with more of Bard and Thranduil, and would have preferred it if Legolas and Tauriel had stayed in the Woodland Realm (if they had to appear at all).

8. What did you think of the cinematography in this scene? Did any particular shots stand out?

Great.

Yes. I think the costumes, especially, have been very well thought out.

Thank you so much for putting all this together!

P.S. Apologies for the all-bold responses. Bold and italic functions don't seem to work for me (on a Mac).

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 1 2015, 5:45pm

Post #3 of 14 (586 views)
Shortcut
Law and justice in the later Laketown era [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, great job with the screencaps, Starglass! Cool

I doubt that the black arrow was kept for another possible dragon attack, or else it would have been kept with the carefully-preserved-for-whatever-reason windlance. It seems more like a reminder of Girion's deeds (especially loosening the scale), or that Girion's family had once been important or responsible for the care of the local people--a burden Bard still seems to bear. (Must be in the genes. Wink)

2. Bard and Bain have a brief conversation about the arrow and Bard's plan. What does this show about the relationship between father and son? Did you like how that relationship played out in DOS and BotFA? 3. Does this scene build well on what happens with Bard and Bain in BotFA?

Speaking of genes...I quite like the nod to the kingship-being-passed-down we get here with these two, since we know from the LOTR appendices that Bain's son and grandson are crucial to the (north)western front of the War of the Ring later on. Kinda get geeky chills. Evil Clearly Bard trusts Bain and has been raising him to be a leader. He was probably in on a good many of Bard's Laketown plots (which I'm sure he had!), even if he wasn't an active participant. I love how this plays out in BotFA ("Look at me"). My personal theory is that Tilda grows up to be just such a leader as Bain. Cool

Well, it's fun to jump around Laketown, because it's an interesting place to me. I kind of prefer the "chase" scene in the DOS EE with the Dwarves, though. The real question is, is this chase scene better than Scene 88? Wink

5. A guard informs Bard that he is "under arrest." When do you think the Master decided to go so far as to arrest him? Do you think their disagreement over whether or not Thorin and Co. should go to the mountain precipitated this decision?

This is a TE issue that is solved in the EE. In the EE Alfrid persuades the Master to make up a law that would make Bard liable for arrest, and this is the result. Or at least, that's how I understood it. I don't think the confrontation about the Dwarves going to the mountain played into it except to make the Master more irritated and probably have more acid reflux.

I don't mind it. Conflict drives plots, after all, and Bard has been given a pretty sizeable subplot to maneuver in.

7. Did having Bard in jail (and unconscious for some time) heighten the suspense of Smaug's impending attack?

Yep. It also increases the viewer's sympathy for his kids as they are forced to leave their home without knowing his fate.

10. Any other thoughts?

I love the transition to this chapter, from Smaug's "No blade can pierce ME" straight to a shot of Bard with the black arrow. Nice!

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Bofur's Hat
The Shire

Mar 1 2015, 10:16pm

Post #4 of 14 (552 views)
Shortcut
DOS Chaper of the Week!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just as a reminder of his heritage and a keepsake. If I found a weapon used by my grandfather I would keep it too just so I could remember the bravery and memory of my ancestor.

I liked Bard and Bain's relationship in this movie, especially the trust that Bard has in Bain when he gives him the arrow. I thought they could have shared more scenes in BOFA
3. Does this scene build
Yes, they are together being hunted with the arrow running through laketown in DOS and the same in BOFA

4. What did you think of this brief though busy chase sequence (choreography, etc.)? How does it compare to other chase scenes throughout the films? I thought it was ok, there weren't vary many case scenes in the hobbit trilogies as small as this one but I loved how Bard could said through the obstacles of laketown while the guards were lest stumbling around.

5. When do you think the Master decided to go so far as to arrest him? Do you think their disagreement over whether or not Thorin and Co. should go to the mountain precipitated this decision?
I think the master always wanted to arrest Bard he just saw the Thorin disagreement a reason to tell the town (if they ask) why he arrested Bard

Yes, it fleshes out how Bard is a hero preforming small deeds for the people despit someone telling him not to, shows a hint of bravery that will be used in BOFA

I thought it majorly heightened the suspense, the only person that can do something about the attack is stuck unable to help!

I loved when bard sails across the canal on a boat but besides that I thought the cinematography was great and not many shots stood out besideds the one I mentioned for me

yes relly gives me the idea that bard is a wanted man with all of the men the master sends after him

Kim
Valinor

Mar 1 2015, 11:11pm

Post #5 of 14 (544 views)
Shortcut
Bard on the run [In reply to] Can't Post

I think of it as a family heirloom that’s been passed down for generations, with the story of the dragon attack, and possibly ending with “And when the time comes, it will be up to you to use it against the dragon.” So he kept it close just in case circumstances arose where he would need to use it.

I’ve thought about the exchange, “A black arrow, why did you never tell me?” and “Because you did not need to know” in context of the above supposition that it’s a family heirloom, and decided that eventually Bard would have told Bain, perhaps when he was close to the end of his life, in order to carry on the family story to the next generation. Kind of like how Thorin was not told of the map and key by his father and grandfather when he was younger. But skipping ahead to BOFA, it was a nice touch to have Bain not only bring the arrow to his father because he wanted to help, but for Bard to actually accept his help and use him in such a key way.

3. Does this scene build well on what happens with Bard and Bain in BotFA?
Yes, it’s definitely a nice set up. Although one thing that bothered me is that Bain hid the arrow in a boat. That could be moved. And therefore, potentially lost!

It was unique in that they were running around and on water via the boats, but once thing that stuck out was that Bard was better at using the boats to get away from the guards than they were at following (great screencap of that btw). Since they (presumably) had grown up in Lake-town too, I would have thought they would have been just as adept at running around town like on an obstacle course. Maybe their heavy uniforms and helmets slowed them down and hurt their balance.

5. A guard informs Bard that he is "under arrest." When do you think the Master decided to go so far as to arrest him? Do you think their disagreement over whether or not Thorin and Co. should go to the mountain precipitated this decision?
This was actually a little unclear in the TE, so I just assumed that the Master was using the excuse of the disruption of the dwarves to do something he’d been wanting to do for a while. It was better in the EE when the Master basically said he wanted something done because Bard had questioned his authority in front of the town.

Yes, it adds more to both characters, and gives Bard more of a presence amongst the townspeople.

Since we didn’t know when the dragon would attack, or if it would even be in this movie, this does kind of heighten the suspense of whether Bard would actually be the one to kill Smaug, or if Bain might have to step up.

Lots of cool set design, although it kind of went by too fast to be able to appreciate it. I did notice the lovely statue of the Master - nice touch.

Yeah, the hopping across the boats part was cool and unique.

10. Any other thoughts?

Thorin’s hair: Still gently blowing in the breeze under the moonlight. Wink

Thanks for hosting Starglass and congrats on learning how to post images. There’ll be no stopping you now!

#OneLastTime

Kim
Valinor

Mar 1 2015, 11:29pm

Post #6 of 14 (535 views)
Shortcut
Interesting points [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt that the black arrow was kept for another possible dragon attack, or else it would have been kept with the carefully-preserved-for-whatever-reason windlance. It seems more like a reminder of Girion's deeds (especially loosening the scale), or that Girion's family had once been important or responsible for the care of the local people--a burden Bard still seems to bear. (Must be in the genes. Wink)

That is a good call out about the windlance - was it just placed there right after the dragon attack and maintained for years after? Was it still maintained at this point in time, or was it just left there as it was easier to leave it in place than to dismantle it? Perhaps the black arrow wasn't left with it as it was too rare, and they didn't want to leave it out in the elements or for someone to steal? Hmmmm.

I kind of prefer the "chase" scene in the DOS EE with the Dwarves, though. The real question is, is this chase scene better than Scene 88? Wink

I was kind of thinking the same thing about the EE chase scene with the dwarves. But nothing could be better than the Epic of Scene 88TM!

I love the transition to this chapter, from Smaug's "No blade can pierce ME" straight to a shot of Bard with the black arrow. Nice!

Yes, that was a nice touch.

#OneLastTime

Starglass
Rivendell

Mar 2 2015, 6:28pm

Post #7 of 14 (491 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for your responses Glorfindela! [In reply to] Can't Post

Starglass
Rivendell

Mar 2 2015, 6:34pm

Post #8 of 14 (492 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for your answers, Riven Delve! [In reply to] Can't Post

Speaking of genes...I quite like the nod to the kingship-being-passed-down we get here with these two, since we know from the LOTR appendices that Bain's son and grandson are crucial to the (north)western front of the War of the Ring later on. Kinda get geeky chills. Evil

Good points! Thanks for reminding me of Bard's legacy as it appears in the appendices. It seems I need to read them again- I've only looked through them once, and briefly, at that.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 2 2015, 6:36pm

Post #9 of 14 (490 views)
Shortcut
My pleasure [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciated all the hard work you put into this (I never mastered the technique of posting pictures).

I'm taking a break from the boards for now, so may 'see' you at some point.Wink

Starglass
Rivendell

Mar 2 2015, 6:41pm

Post #10 of 14 (485 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for participating, Bofur's Hat! [In reply to] Can't Post

Starglass
Rivendell

Mar 2 2015, 6:52pm

Post #11 of 14 (482 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for your responses, Kim! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although one thing that bothered me is that Bain hid the arrow in a boat. That could be moved. And therefore, potentially lost!

Yes, I felt the same way about the arrow. I remember wondering my first viewing of DOS if he was going to move it to a better spot later on in the film. And then during BotFA I was surprised how he (apparently) found the arrow so easily and quickly in the midst of such chaos not to mention dragon fire!

Thorin’s hair: Still gently blowing in the breeze under the moonlight.

Tongue

Starglass
Rivendell

Mar 2 2015, 6:56pm

Post #12 of 14 (478 views)
Shortcut
Hope to see you back soon! [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2015, 8:50pm

Post #13 of 14 (472 views)
Shortcut
P.S. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love your avatar, Starglass. Thorin totally looks like he's getting the party started. Laugh

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Starglass
Rivendell

Mar 3 2015, 2:32am

Post #14 of 14 (445 views)
Shortcut
Hehe thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always loved that scene and it's so nice to see him smiling and excited so of course I had to use that particular screencap. See, beneath all that gravitas he really is just a party animal! Tongue

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.