The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Will we ever see any of GDT's designs?

frodolives
Lorien

Feb 28 2015, 3:41pm

Post #1 of 14 (1115 views)
Shortcut
Will we ever see any of GDT's designs? Can't Post

I would love to see some of the designs and test footage of GDT's aborted adaptation of the Hobbit. Do you think there is any chance of a special feature on the EE that might address this wish? Somehow I see the chances of this as being the same as seeing test footage of Stuart Townsend as Aragorn. :(

deskp
Lorien

Feb 28 2015, 3:43pm

Post #2 of 14 (1077 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, both PJ and GDT want to do SOMETHING with that material. PJ said this not that long ago.

Now you jstu gottaa hope it ends up happening

frodolives
Lorien

Feb 28 2015, 3:46pm

Post #3 of 14 (1068 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes, both PJ and GDT want to do SOMETHING with that material. PJ said this not that long ago.

Do you have a link to a place where he says that?

MedwedtoBeorn
Rivendell

Feb 28 2015, 3:51pm

Post #4 of 14 (1070 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

It was in an article that came out in the run up to BotFA that the material would be put out sometime after the BotFA EE.

frodolives
Lorien

Feb 28 2015, 4:08pm

Post #5 of 14 (1053 views)
Shortcut
After? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It was in an article that came out in the run up to BotFA that the material would be put out sometime after the BotFA EE.

I wonder what 'after' could refer to?

deskp
Lorien

Feb 28 2015, 4:38pm

Post #6 of 14 (1037 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he talked about a self contained thing, like a GDT hobbit design book, or a documentary type thing.

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 28 2015, 4:47pm

Post #7 of 14 (1037 views)
Shortcut
Regarding ST [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't they say Townsend just wasn't right for the role? I can't imagine them showing anything in that case then. But, could be wrong.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

frodolives
Lorien

Feb 28 2015, 4:50pm

Post #8 of 14 (1027 views)
Shortcut
Yes, they thought he was too young [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Didn't they say Townsend just wasn't right for the role? I can't imagine them showing anything in that case then. But, could be wrong.

True, but he did something like 2 months of pre-production work, rehearsals, etc. It would be interesting to see some of that stuff. But I'm much more interested in seeing GDT's work.

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 28 2015, 4:54pm

Post #9 of 14 (1021 views)
Shortcut
That's right, I remember that detail now [In reply to] Can't Post

But, I would expect them to be very sensitive to any perception that any material they shared would reflect negatively on the actor.

Who knows, he might be perfect for a "bridge film" in which Aragorn is younger.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Pandallo
Rivendell

Feb 28 2015, 5:12pm

Post #10 of 14 (1014 views)
Shortcut
We apparently have... [In reply to] Can't Post

Drowned Queen Galadriel was apparently a design from Guirrelmo Del Toro whereas Phillipa Boyens wanted to go with what they used in Fellowship of the Ring...

and it seems that a lot of people on this forum and elsewhere disliked the look that was used in the film, which was GDT's idea in the first place. Now those "GDT would have been a lot better!" people should think about that whenever they daydream GDT's The Hobbit.

frodolives
Lorien

Feb 28 2015, 5:15pm

Post #11 of 14 (1006 views)
Shortcut
And the stone giants scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

…was also apparently GDT's baby.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 28 2015, 8:38pm

Post #12 of 14 (920 views)
Shortcut
Townsend as Aragorn. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But, I would expect them to be very sensitive to any perception that any material they shared would reflect negatively on the actor.

Who knows, he might be perfect for a "bridge film" in which Aragorn is younger.

Now, he would probably be too old!

One thing that disappointed me with Weta's movie-book about Smaug was that it did not include the del Toro-era designs for the dragon--much less the large (6-foot) maquette of Smaug that was produced.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 28 2015, 8:41pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 1 2015, 11:13am

Post #13 of 14 (792 views)
Shortcut
Reading between the lines at the time, c. when FotR was being made [In reply to] Can't Post

I seem to remember speculation that Townsend fell out with PJ (though we will never know if that was indeed the case). It's interesting that Townsend hasn't really worked (as far as I know) since FotR. I get the impression that his career was killed off, for whatever reason (personal or other?). I also remember Mortensen saying something like,' I guess they needed a younger dog,' though this was never elaborated on.

In Reply To

glor
Rohan

Mar 1 2015, 11:44am

Post #14 of 14 (774 views)
Shortcut
Townsend [In reply to] Can't Post

I think ST was quoted as saying some rather negative things about PJ and co after leaving most notably about not being compensated.

The thing is if an actor leaves a project under certain circumstances if one is being diplomatic then, their contract for the film is null and void and the actor does not get the full contractual payment. This means that the film makers no longer own the rights to that actors performance and cannot commercially release any filmed material of said actor.

This means we are unlikely to see any Townsend footage.

However, with GDT he is credited in the released films, his work on The Hobbit is 'owned' by the film makers and production companies and is therefore available for potential release.

No mascara can survive BOTFA

(This post was edited by glor on Mar 1 2015, 11:45am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.