Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Tragic death of the elves in the Silmarillion.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2015, 3:40am

Post #26 of 32 (1378 views)
Shortcut
my overarching favorite character ever outside of LOTR... [In reply to] Can't Post

Beleg is the Staunch Companion, the Faithful Friend, the Immortal Who Lays Down His Life for the mere Mortal (yeah, his death was accidental, but he gave up and risked a great deal to stand by Turin's side through Turin's "adventures").

I hear echoes of Tolkien's Christianity in this Immortal Dying for Mortals thing.

There is a great scene in this tale, when Turin and Co. are in the wilderness in winter, and (quoting from memory here) suddenly a man of great girth, it seems, appears in the midst of their campfire, he sees their shocked faces and laughs (ho ho ho!), throws back his cloak to reveal a great pack full of supplies. it is, of course, Beleg.

There is no way Tolkien is not referencing Father Christmas, Santa Claus, and yule Elves here... SlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySly

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 5 2015, 4:02am

Post #27 of 32 (1378 views)
Shortcut
Clever [In reply to] Can't Post

I like your reactions.

Poor Beleg is heavy collateral damage indeed. But then I see Hurin and even Turin himself as the same: like a feathery kitty toy for Morgoth, his twisting and turning distract the Big Bad Cat from noticing the little mice in Gondolin: the love of Tuor and Idril, from which will rise the Star and the salvation of Arda.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 5 2015, 4:02am)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2015, 4:27pm

Post #28 of 32 (1349 views)
Shortcut
good insights! [In reply to] Can't Post

never thought of the distractor factor.......

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2015, 8:27pm

Post #29 of 32 (1340 views)
Shortcut
Never read any King... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I'm thinking it is the sort of thing I am thinking about.

I hear and agree with much of what you say on the specifics... Though I do think some kind of preparedness is helpful (e.g. What would I do if someone offered me drugs?), but I think that you mean a more random situation without a clear-cut sort of right-wrong factor when you speak here. Indeed, one can never anticipate EVERY occurance so trying to formulate a response for every contingency is hopeless.

I do suppose that the kind of choices I am envisioning are more ambiguous and unforeseeable. I also am considering a more unique kind of situation along the lines of, 'Help me Rem, you are my only hope!'. With no disrespect meant to your noble efforts in assisting the victims of an accident, I think that the kind of situation where only one person can accomplish a special task, for whatever reason, becomes a bit more fraught with peril. In your excellent illustration, there were more than one person who could have given aid, and thus your involvement was not (excuse the word, but no other will do) essential. Hastily begging your pardon, I'm sure that if you had come onto the scene first and there was no help in sight, you would have done your utmost to help. No offence taken, I hope?

Thus, because the kind of thing I am imagining is essentially very exclusive and greatly dependent upon circumstances, I'm sure we cannot anticipate them. However, I am wondering if there is any kind of effective preparation we can do?

At first blush, I am of the mind that self-improvement via training (e.g. as first-aid cerification, personal fitness, etc..), personal development (e.g. spirituality, etc..) might improve the chances that I may rise to the occasion, but then I consider the fact that there are limits to the amount of preparation, both physical and mental, that I can do. When it all comes down to it, I'll still have to make the choice, and I wonder... What will be the deciding factor?

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 5 2015, 11:00pm

Post #30 of 32 (1334 views)
Shortcut
Degrees of preparation [In reply to] Can't Post

No offense taken at all, Rem! You certainly understood the points I was getting across (or trying to).

I think preparation counts for a lot. But I'd also say from personal experience that personal choices get thrust on a person that really test who they are, and there's no preparation for them. As a random example, let's say I prepare to be ready for any medical emergency when I'm the first on the scene, and let's say I really am prepared. Then something else happens--let's say my brother and his wife die, leaving an orphan girl to raise--I didn't prepare for that!!! (This didn't happen to me, but to a relative.) So all that preparation in one area didn't help in the specifics, but probably did in the abstract: if you're preparing yourself to do the right thing, marshal your resources, and make the best of a situation thrust onto you by circumstances, you're better off than saying, "Naw, that will never happen to me. I don't need to think about it."

Maglor

Mar 20 2015, 9:39pm

Post #31 of 32 (1214 views)
Shortcut
Maedhros [In reply to] Can't Post

Maedhros's death is so tragic. He makes one bad decision, swearing the oath. That he spends the rest of his life regretting. I hate how so many view him a bloodthirsty. He swore the oath because that is what was required of him because he is Feanor's eldest son. He is one of the few who was opposed to the burning of the ships. Tolkien originally wrote him as the one who decided to adopt Elrond and Elros. Before he killed others in order to fulfill the oath he did try diplomacy first. When he finally freed himself from the oath that had been tormenting him from so long his suffering finally becomes too much and he commits suicide.

elf-lady
Rivendell

Apr 1 2015, 6:37pm

Post #32 of 32 (1175 views)
Shortcut
Deciding factor... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is likely exigent need. When I was 13 or 14, I was walking with two other friends to the local swimming pool, chatting and acting like care free kids. Then we saw an older girl arguing with a guy just outside the pool building. She was screaming at him and the guy grabbed her arms and was pulling her towards the open door of his car. I swear I gave no thought at all, I just ran towards them and jumped on the guy's back trying to get him to let go. My friends arrived moments later and pulled the girl away from him. Turns out he was an ex-boyfriend trying to make her get back with him. Adults came outside and we told them what we saw and my friends and I were ushered inside along with the girl. The last we'd heard was that the adults threatened the guy with the police and he drove off. I never told my mom or dad about that day as I knew they'd have scolded me about getting involved. Unsure

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.