The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I predict the future!

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2015, 3:03am

Post #1 of 23 (1693 views)
Shortcut
I predict the future! Can't Post

* Before the end of 2016 Warner Bros. will announce a new movie (or movies) set between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
* The film will be about Legolas and Aragorn's adventure hinted at in the Battle of the Five Armies.
* Peter Jackson will not direct but he will produce and maybe be a creative consultant if he has the time.
* If PJ, Fran and/or Phillipa are involved with the story they will use whatever they can from the books (appendix material, or unfilmed events from the books used to make new scenes with Aragorn and Legolas). If the films have totally new writers it will be purely made up material with little to none inspiration from the books (only from the already established films).
* None of the films will use Silmarillion-material as it is off limits by the Tolkien Estate.
* Orlando Bloom will return as Legolas, but a new actor will play Aragorn.
* Howard Shore will make the music if available.
* Andy Serkis will be involved somehow. Either in front of the camera or behind the camera.

This is my prediction!

Vocalist of the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium.

(This post was edited by painjoiker on Feb 28 2015, 3:07am)

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 28 2015, 3:14am

Post #2 of 23 (1567 views)
Shortcut
It does seem that way... [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ and co. (I think also del Toro?) were planning to make a bridge movie set between The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings way back in the early drafts of the script, so they clearly have ideas.

The problem is what exactly are these ideas? Not much happens between the two trilogies that's of any interest or importance
Crazy You can't make a three hour movie about the capture of Gollum, and anything involving Aragorn will kinda wreck his introduction in LotR, if you watch them in that order.

What would it be about?! I love Middle-earth, but I'm really not interested in seeing an installment that isn't going to tell us anything new or drive the story in any new direction. It's just an unnecessary depiction of stuff that happened, that has no real relation the main plot.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Feb 28 2015, 3:15am)

Jeffrodo
Bree

Feb 28 2015, 3:36am

Post #3 of 23 (1547 views)
Shortcut
Not much happens... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think your comment "not much happens" implies that the books are the sole source of inspiration for any possible new films. They're not. We saw that PJ is willing to invent from scratch plots, characters, etc.

In the Middle Earth movie universe there can be plenty that happens between The Hobbit and LOTR.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 28 2015, 3:51am

Post #4 of 23 (1536 views)
Shortcut
There could be, but would it be interesting? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure anyone is really interested in seeing every random piece of Lord of the Rings trivia shoe-horned into a spin-off film just for the sake of more Middle-earth. The worst parts of The Hobbit were the made-up stuff and the self-referencing, and that's all this film would be. Sure there's stuff like Bain becoming king of Dale and the dwarves reclaiming Moria or whatever else. But is it necessary to see that stuff?

I think there's a reason Tolkien never wrote more stories in or around Lord of the Rings, and that's because there's no enemy - and it's the presence of an enemy that drives the narrative forward. By the end of The Hobbit Sauron is busy gathering strength, it's not until Lord of the Rings' timeline that he starts to really take action. So there'd be no major enemy in another film - which is why Tolkien moved on to concentrating on the distant past when Melkor was the enemy. Without an enemy to overcome you're just creating a list of events.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Feb 28 2015, 3:52am)

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 28 2015, 3:56am

Post #5 of 23 (1530 views)
Shortcut
I meant not much happens in the book... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not much happens in the book, so what would another movie involve? I'm not saying nothing happens, so it will be bad. An original story could be great, it could be amazing. But the problem is getting my attention when, as far as I'm aware, there's not much worth seeing. The only reason I got through The Hobbit movies was because I love the books. There's no reason for me to invest in something just because it's related to the movies.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Feb 28 2015, 3:59am)

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Feb 28 2015, 4:04am

Post #6 of 23 (1526 views)
Shortcut
Yep!! My thoughts exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

I, too, think something's up. Let's just hope they don't film in 3D. And lets hope they go the more practical route of LOTR.

Moahunter
Rohan

Feb 28 2015, 5:22am

Post #7 of 23 (1504 views)
Shortcut
What about Tauriel? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe she travels to break the news to Dis and has lots of encounters en route..

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2015, 9:55am

Post #8 of 23 (1408 views)
Shortcut
I hope not. [In reply to] Can't Post

I could actually see that happening though, which scares me...

I'd prefer a reboot/remake/another adaption. Not because I think there needs to be one. But if Warner Bros is going to make more Middle-earth movies, I think it'd be much more interesting to see something like a six film adaption of Lord of the Rings that has stuff like Tom Bombadil and the Scouring of the Shire.

That'd be crazy though.

haarp
Rivendell

Feb 28 2015, 11:08am

Post #9 of 23 (1381 views)
Shortcut
8 [In reply to] Can't Post

just don't view the film if you don't want it

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 28 2015, 11:42am

Post #10 of 23 (1371 views)
Shortcut
I don't think I could stomach any more of Orlando Bloom [In reply to] Can't Post

…especially not as any major character. He's also much too old (probably at least 40 once/if this thing gets off the ground) to be playing Legolas.

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 28 2015, 12:40pm

Post #11 of 23 (1340 views)
Shortcut
They could do an animated TV show... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd be fine with that, kinda like the Disney TV show spin-offs for Lilo and Stitch, Hercules and Aladdin. Animated Legolas and Aragorn adventures - then their age wouldn't matter and if it sucks it would be easier to ignore.

But making a film would be like getting everything that's bad about The Hobbit and taking it way too far.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 28 2015, 1:51pm

Post #12 of 23 (1307 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that could be an idea [In reply to] Can't Post

In an animated version they could even make Legolas and Aragorn look like the LotR versions (more or less). It would be bizarre to have other actors playing both characters, in a non-animated film about a middle part of the story, between the Hobbit and LotR…

In Reply To
I'd be fine with that, kinda like the Disney TV show spin-offs for Lilo and Stitch, Hercules and Aladdin. Animated Legolas and Aragorn adventures - then their age wouldn't matter and if it sucks it would be easier to ignore.

But making a film would be like getting everything that's bad about The Hobbit and taking it way too far.

moreorless
Gondor

Feb 28 2015, 4:15pm

Post #13 of 23 (1218 views)
Shortcut
You could I spose argue Aragorn's character might be the main basis for the film.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Not much happens in the book, so what would another movie involve? I'm not saying nothing happens, so it will be bad. An original story could be great, it could be amazing. But the problem is getting my attention when, as far as I'm aware, there's not much worth seeing. The only reason I got through The Hobbit movies was because I love the books. There's no reason for me to invest in something just because it's related to the movies.

I would agree that there doesn't seem to be much in terms of actual events to cover between the two film series that would effectively drive the plot. That said you could argue that the film need not follow the same style as LOTR and the Hobbit where the plot is driven by grand events.

You could potentially have a much tighter drama focused more on a younger Aragorn. Maybe about him learning to accept his legacy or the early romance with Arwen? Such a film wouldn't really need any epic events, maybe some orgs/trolls?

Personally for me though if anything there seemed to be more setup in the Hobbit films for some kind of prequel based on the war with Angmar and theres plenty of material there to drive a LOTR/Hobbit style film. I would certainly enjoy more of Thranduil, theres a lot more use that character could be put to.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Feb 28 2015, 4:17pm)

frodolives
Lorien

Feb 28 2015, 4:22pm

Post #14 of 23 (1224 views)
Shortcut
As much as I would love that... [In reply to] Can't Post

… I don't think we will see any more middle earth films for a while. While the Hobbit films all grossed around $1 billion, they weren't enthusiastically received in the way that was hoped for. I could be wring, but I think it will be a while (unless they want to get the same actors before they grow too old). Hope I'm wrong.

Pandallo
Rivendell

Feb 28 2015, 5:17pm

Post #15 of 23 (1186 views)
Shortcut
Not by crtiics... [In reply to] Can't Post

Because of the George Lucas Syndrome, all prequels are bad prequels to them. Not to mention AUJ may have been a bit slow for their tastes and it colored their perceptions of all the rest of the movies from thereon out.

The box office speaks for itself though. BotFA would have broken 1 Billion were it not for exchange rates.

frodolives
Lorien

Feb 28 2015, 5:39pm

Post #16 of 23 (1170 views)
Shortcut
My perception only [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Because of the George Lucas Syndrome, all prequels are bad prequels to them. Not to mention AUJ may have been a bit slow for their tastes and it colored their perceptions of all the rest of the movies from thereon out.

The box office speaks for itself though. BotFA would have broken 1 Billion were it not for exchange rates.

There's no question that $1 billion is successful. It's my anecdotal, totally non-scientific, opinion that the films were not received with tremendous enthusiasm by the viewing public. Whenever I mention the films, the reaction is generally lukewarm. Again, just anecdotal.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2015, 5:43pm

Post #17 of 23 (1170 views)
Shortcut
Sounds a bit odd... [In reply to] Can't Post

But, ignoring that for the sake of argument, provided people liked them enough to keep going back to the cinema and buying the DVDs and downloads, why would studios be dissuaded by the reception?

burrahobbit
Rohan

Feb 28 2015, 8:51pm

Post #18 of 23 (1111 views)
Shortcut
It's possible, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

So the main things that made the Hobbit trilogy a commercial safe bet, and green-lighted it's huge $500+ million budget were-
*Peter Jackson returning as director after commercial and critical acclaim
*Substantial Tolkien source material
*Key members of the LotR cast returning such as Ian McKellan, Cate Blanchett and Andy Serkis.
*Huge fan expectation, even going so far as for thousands of fans to petition for the adaptation.

Any proposals for further adaptations I think are going to struggle on many, if not all of these fronts. Certainly the amount of source material is very minimal, and nothing like a coherent story. I'm struggling to see why key cast members would be likely to return, when they have more exciting projects on offer.

Finally I really don't see it as being in Jackson's interest, even as a producer. He's now very wealthy and has no pressing commercial reason for more Middle Earth movies. He's also a multi-oscar winning director of many acclaimed films, and can't be happy with the critical reception of The Hobbit.

It seems like now is the ideal time for Jackson to return to smaller movies, and for him to experiment with new films and new fantasy adaptations that could grow into the next big franchise.

There are likely to be big Middle Earth computer games and other spin-offs, but I don't see another huge movie adaptation for a long time.

moreorless
Gondor

Mar 1 2015, 5:58am

Post #19 of 23 (1002 views)
Shortcut
I can see a few personally... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So the main things that made the Hobbit trilogy a commercial safe bet, and green-lighted it's huge $500+ million budget were-
*Peter Jackson returning as director after commercial and critical acclaim
*Substantial Tolkien source material
*Key members of the LotR cast returning such as Ian McKellan, Cate Blanchett and Andy Serkis.
*Huge fan expectation, even going so far as for thousands of fans to petition for the adaptation.

Any proposals for further adaptations I think are going to struggle on many, if not all of these fronts. Certainly the amount of source material is very minimal, and nothing like a coherent story. I'm struggling to see why key cast members would be likely to return, when they have more exciting projects on offer.

Finally I really don't see it as being in Jackson's interest, even as a producer. He's now very wealthy and has no pressing commercial reason for more Middle Earth movies. He's also a multi-oscar winning director of many acclaimed films, and can't be happy with the critical reception of The Hobbit.

It seems like now is the ideal time for Jackson to return to smaller movies, and for him to experiment with new films and new fantasy adaptations that could grow into the next big franchise.

There are likely to be big Middle Earth computer games and other spin-offs, but I don't see another huge movie adaptation for a long time.

I can see a few reasons Jackson might want to be involved...

Firstly the choice for more films or not isn't his its the studio's who own the rights so if they deside to make more films I can see Jackson wanting to be involved to some degree as he was originally going to be with the Hobbit.

Secondly I think that partly due to the issues you raised this would be a very different challenge to any Tolkien film he's made thus far. Basically it would be an original script in a Tolkien environment and would also have the potential for a very different kind of style.My guess is part of the reason Jackson agreed to the Hobbit was that it allowed for a different tone to LOTR rather than just going over the same ground, the same could be even more true here.

Lastly I must admit I get the feeling Jackson will struggle to go back to smaller films. The Hobbit films and Kong weren't maybe quite to LOTR's standards but they were all excellent by blockbuster standards and making blockbusters with a real heart to them and a good deal of visual flare is in the words of a great man "his first best destiny".

(This post was edited by moreorless on Mar 1 2015, 5:59am)

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Mar 1 2015, 12:09pm

Post #20 of 23 (939 views)
Shortcut
One of the benefits of the relative lack of source material - [In reply to] Can't Post

- is that it can give writers more freedom (of course, that is not always a good thing). It could help with the budget, too.

Personally, I think it is possible to come up with good original stories set in the Middle-Earth movie-verse. I'd actually like an anthology-type TV series with each episode telling a different tale.

One question I would like to ask is, why would any studio give up a film franchise where each movie made, at least, almost a billion?

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Mar 1 2015, 12:17pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 1 2015, 4:25pm

Post #21 of 23 (888 views)
Shortcut
The Law of Diminishing Returns [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
- is that it can give writers more freedom (of course, that is not always a good thing). It could help with the budget, too.

Personally, I think it is possible to come up with good original stories set in the Middle-Earth movie-verse. I'd actually like an anthology-type TV series with each episode telling a different tale.

One question I would like to ask is, why would any studio give up a film franchise where each movie made, at least, almost a billion?

It depends on if the studio heads think that they can continue the franchise with a viable project that is likely to continue to find a large audience. Even the most likely possibilities to continue the Middle-earth series would carry the risk of not sparking enough interest.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 1 2015, 6:28pm

Post #22 of 23 (850 views)
Shortcut
But is risk not true of any film project? [In reply to] Can't Post

It depends on if the studio heads think that they can continue the franchise with a viable project that is likely to continue to find a large audience. Even the most likely possibilities to continue the Middle-earth series would carry the risk of not sparking enough interest.

Personally I was surprised at the reboots that seem to happen so fast (Spiderman and even Batman). To me those were risky.

Unless it was straight-to-DVD horrible, seems to me there is a ready market for a well-made ME prequel/sequel, especially w. a little passage of time, letting folks miss ME for a bit. Tolkien "purists" may frown, I guess, but it wasn't Tolkien fans alone that made the Hobbit movies a success.

And I'd sooner see another ME film made than more comic book films, even tho re the Avengers, Ironman, Cpt. America etc. have been great - more examples of what good casting, script, and direction can do. So I think the same could be true of an ME sequel/prequel.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 1 2015, 6:38pm

Post #23 of 23 (847 views)
Shortcut
Not all risks are seen as equal. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some film projects seem like a safer bet than others; although, even seeming shoe-ins can fail (Ghostbusters 2 anyone?). Studios are more comfortable with sequels that keep the same actors in the same roles and use essentially the same formula as the previous film(s). Of course, this attitude also discourages muich originality in big-budget Hollywood films.

You do bring up an interesting point in regards to made-for-video movies. It is maybe a bit surprising that we haven't seen any DTV animated prequels for any of the Middle-earth video games such as Shadow of Mordor. Such films have become a common marketing tool in recent years.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.