Does anyone else wish the battle looked more like this

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Feb 28 2015, 2:59am

Post #1 of 22 (2431 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone else wish the battle looked more like this Can't Post

Link
Mod note: Original "search results" link replaced with direct link to image on artist Justin Gerard's blog.

Instead of Pellonor fields 2?
For anyone not being bothered to copy the link its that Alan Howe illustration, I speak of.

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Feb 28 2015, 5:43am)

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 28 2015, 3:20am

Post #2 of 22 (2325 views)
Shortcut
But it did look exactly like that! [In reply to] Can't Post

For the split second that Beorn got involved, it really reminded my of all the illustrations of BoFA that I'd ever seen.

I just wish it was more than a split second Unsure

by the way to make links work just type like this: [*url]google.com[*/url] but without the *s

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Feb 28 2015, 3:24am)

CathrineB
Rohan

Feb 28 2015, 3:42am

Post #3 of 22 (2302 views)
Shortcut
I thought so too! [In reply to] Can't Post

It hit me so hard when Beorn entered the battle in the movie because it reminded me too of the illustrations of botfa! It looked SO amazing! I can't even start to begin to explain how shocking it is they didn't keep more of that in. I loved those precious seconds so much. Very powerful.

banaili
Bree

Feb 28 2015, 3:49pm

Post #4 of 22 (2058 views)
Shortcut
I simply would have enjoyed more dwarves! [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you mean regarding the landscape? I agree, the image of the landscape evoked from Howe's illustration is visually more appealing, in my opinion, than another LOTR-style open field. I suppose what I would have liked more of though would have been to see more of the dwarves fighting. I expect that will all come with the EE, but still...

One thing I loved about the first film was seeing how each dwarf's unique fighting style worked and meshed (usually well) with those of the other dwarves'. I hope we'll get a chance to see that on the DVD!

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 28 2015, 4:34pm

Post #5 of 22 (2042 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish the whole film could look like this!

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Feb 28 2015, 8:15pm

Post #6 of 22 (1968 views)
Shortcut
imagine that [In reply to] Can't Post

all the dwarves making a stand instead of what we were left with. Love that picture.

CathrineB
Rohan

Mar 1 2015, 1:08am

Post #7 of 22 (1902 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I was shocked how little we got of the dwarves in the actual battle. We get a glimpse right after the change and zoooom Ravenhill! It's like wow. The main characters aren't even in the titled battle for more than what two minutes on screen because of PJs love for the elves in this movie.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 1 2015, 11:08am

Post #8 of 22 (1837 views)
Shortcut
Who's Alan Howe? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if you meant Alan Lee or John Howe, but that illustration is by Justin Gerard. Angelic

I don't like the exaggerated faces of the dwarves. I like the two banners, King beneath the mountain and Iron hills, and that Orcrist is kinda cool. Looks like that might be Kili dying just below Thorin.

Not sure I like the style, but the details are cool. Smile

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Mar 1 2015, 11:50am

Post #9 of 22 (1826 views)
Shortcut
I really like Matt Stewart's work.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's his take on Beorn at the Bo5A:

http://tolkiengateway.net/...der_the_Mountain.jpg

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 1 2015, 1:46pm

Post #10 of 22 (1808 views)
Shortcut
No, he meant John Lee [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, couldn't help myself. AngelicEvil

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 1 2015, 1:52pm

Post #11 of 22 (1803 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

The BotFA looked like this.

For 3 seconds. Literally.

What a shame.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 1 2015, 10:34pm

Post #12 of 22 (1719 views)
Shortcut
John Lee? Doesn't he do cameos in all the Batman movies? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I know my stuff AngelicEvil

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 1 2015, 11:19pm

Post #13 of 22 (1694 views)
Shortcut
Yup, that's him. // [In reply to] Can't Post

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2015, 6:55pm

Post #14 of 22 (1616 views)
Shortcut
fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

This guy can do not only men, Elves and Dwarves, but orcs, and great natural world stuff like the eagles, wolves and bear... and that fantastic mountain!

In detail and realism reminds me a bit of Alan Lee, though Lee is more soft and watercolory and dreamy.

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2015, 6:57pm

Post #15 of 22 (1611 views)
Shortcut
the first artist... [In reply to] Can't Post

is more exaggerated and cartoony...

might be a nice storyboard for a Pixar piece...

nice atmosphere...

(wargs....not...so....good..... Frown )

To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2015, 9:33pm

Post #16 of 22 (1582 views)
Shortcut
Glad you liked it too! [In reply to] Can't Post

He's done some fantastic Middle-earth paintings - his Aragorn and Arwen is my all-time favourite, and also a great Eowyn and Faramir...

Check out his website www.matthew-stewart.com (though his portfolio on there is not complete, but you can simply search Google images for his work to get a more complete selection. )

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Mar 3 2015, 7:24am

Post #17 of 22 (1535 views)
Shortcut
that aragorn and arwen is darn near perfect [In reply to] Can't Post

his portraits of gandalf and gimli likewise

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Mar 3 2015, 3:24pm)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2015, 4:38pm

Post #18 of 22 (1507 views)
Shortcut
checked out his page, thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

really awesome stuff.

I grew up on horses and drawing them, so the first thing I look at is an artist's horses. Most artists post 1950 can't draw a horse to save their buns, especially in the fantasy and kids' book genres. (Alan Lee being a notable exception ).

This guy is a good enough artist, and has clearly used reference to his advantage, that he puts forth a reasonable horse (with a few goobers, mainly in the way the bits fit in the mouth and the shape of the eye, and some other head details).

I'm sure some of what I'm looking at is from various time periods as well (the white wolf is a bit, uh, not all there... I live with "wolves", Siberians, so yeah, that doesn't quite fly)(but I bet it's an old piece, because the style isn't as awesome as some of the others). And his wolves in the BOFA were fantastic!

Also loving that cheetah cat person thing.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2015, 7:28pm

Post #19 of 22 (1489 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I'd heard that horses are about the most difficult animal to get right...my newly-teen daughter's still in the horse-mad stage and loves drawing portraits of her favourites - mainly the head and neck only!

¯ Victoria Monfort

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2015, 6:53pm

Post #20 of 22 (1451 views)
Shortcut
horsies! [In reply to] Can't Post

Horses probably saved my (geeky misfit) life as a kid, and I drew them everywhere.

Best thing is to draw draw draw. Keep a sketchbook and scribble.

Use photo and video reference.

go see real horses and understand how they work (and their gear)

Look up George Stubbs' anatomy book, he's the best!

Sam Savitt, Wesley Dennis, and CW Anderson are some of the best horse artists of the 20th century. They illustrated many books.

I did a pinterest board here on my favorites: https://www.pinterest.com/swordwhale/great-equine-illustrators-savitt-and-dennis/

and here: https://www.pinterest.com/swordwhale/drawing-horses-epic-win/

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2015, 11:08pm

Post #21 of 22 (1438 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've bookmarked both boards to show my daughter - her favourite horse series is the Silver Brumby stories by Elyne Mitchell...

¯ Victoria Monfort

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2015, 4:11pm

Post #22 of 22 (1403 views)
Shortcut
ooooooooooooooooo [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to try to find that..

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.