Longsword competitions Can't Post

http://www.nytimes.com/...823&kwp_1=124550

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 27 2015, 7:59pm

Post #2 of 7 (207 views)
Shortcut
Very nice. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad that this is being practiced in addtion to more traditional fencing.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 27 2015, 8:40pm

Post #3 of 7 (204 views)
Shortcut
OMG, what fun!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I took fencing classes a few years ago, and, well, I thought it was kind of lame. But THIS looks more like it!!! Yeah, I'm just stupid enough to try something like thisTongue

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 28 2015, 4:03am

Post #4 of 7 (186 views)
Shortcut
Been there, done that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good times. Cool

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 28 2015, 4:06am

Post #5 of 7 (185 views)
Shortcut
Any bruises or broken fingers? [In reply to] Can't Post

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 28 2015, 4:14am

Post #6 of 7 (183 views)
Shortcut
Sure, lots of bruises. [In reply to] Can't Post

Never had any broken bones, though. In ten years of heavy swordplay, I only ever saw one person break a bone and it was his own fault for not wearing the right armor.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 1 2015, 5:50am

Post #7 of 7 (160 views)
Shortcut
cool [In reply to] Can't Post

been there, done that, have the knees to prove it...

This particular version (in Baltimore! not far from me!) seems great! (waiting for rest of video to load).

In the Society for Creative Anachronisms, we did swordplay (early 80s and on) with rattan broadswords (or other medieval weapons) and armour built of anything from heavy stiff leather backed with closed cell foam (and 16 gauge helmets) to plastic buckets cut down and shaped and backed with foam. Various hockey gear also came into play.

As the SCA continued, "rhino-hiding" became a thing, and if you weren't a beefy guy with six black belts you didn't go far with this sport.

As one of the few women in it, I'm glad I did it when I did. It was challenging, unique, and gave some insights into the realities of our favorite fantasy worlds.

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.