Feb 27 2015, 10:10pm

Post #26 of 49 (525 views)
Shortcut
Of all the souls... [In reply to] Can't Post

... his was the most human.

Rest well, Mr. Nimoy.

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 10:13pm

Post #27 of 49 (508 views)
Shortcut
Do you know what my answer to 'what do you want to be' when I was little was? [In reply to] Can't Post

A Vulcan. Really. My career choice.

My first TV crush was The Professor on Gilligan's Island. Spock was waaaay out of crush league: he was to be emulated, for me.

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 27 2015, 10:16pm

Post #28 of 49 (513 views)
Shortcut
I always thought it was a little ironic... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that a guy who had such a beautiful smile was cast to play an emotionless Vulcan.

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2015, 10:42pm

Post #29 of 49 (495 views)
Shortcut
My brother wanted to be a Vulcan too! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 11:23pm

Post #30 of 49 (498 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't seem possible. [In reply to] Can't Post

I also grew up with Star Trek like many here, and I have to say his character sort of got wired into my brain somewhere. I still find my self saying "interesting" in complete deadpan, and then catch myself afterwards.

I did finally quit saying "fascinating" somewhere in my teens, but it took real effort.Evil

Rest in peace, Mr. Spock. And be free to smile all you want.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 27 2015, 11:43pm

Post #31 of 49 (486 views)
Shortcut
Very sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

His final tweet:

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP."

May he go boldly into "The undiscovered country, from whose bourn no traveller returns".

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 27 2015, 11:43pm

Post #32 of 49 (481 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful, Lily. Thank you. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Adrianna
Lorien

Feb 28 2015, 12:35am

Post #33 of 49 (483 views)
Shortcut
Sad! [In reply to] Can't Post

He lived long and prospered. He was Star Trek and always will be.Frown

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 28 2015, 2:14am

Post #34 of 49 (475 views)
Shortcut
What a wonderful memory of that time. [In reply to] Can't Post

Recording the audio - what a clever idea!

My middle-school friends and I took pride in flashing the Live Long and Prosper hand sign at one another. I bought the episode booklets, and scoured the magazine racks for anything with Star Trek articles.

That was so much of Spock's appeal: the unattainability! Didn't your heart also break when he said, "For the first time in my life, I was happy"?

And when the original Star Trek ended, I was so happy to find he was in Mission: Impossible...

Peace, dear soul. Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2015, 2:21am

Post #35 of 49 (476 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Star Trek II Wrath of Khan remains my favorite of all the the movies and the Original Series I will love forever in spite of it's campiness which gave it it's flavor. I loved Spock, Kirk, McCoy and all of them. Rest in Peace Mr. Nimoy. You inspired so many for so many years and we enjoyed your acting, directing and writing. We look forward to seeing you In Memoriam next year at the Emmys and Oscars.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you, Gandalf the Grey

Sunflower
Valinor

Feb 28 2015, 4:56pm

Post #36 of 49 (444 views)
Shortcut
Oh no [In reply to] Can't Post

I really have no words. I will always treasure that last shot of him in Abrams's first film, when he looks down from the balcony, like he was already an angel looking down on the creation he helped to popularize. Like he was the true believer in it after trying to run from his screen alter ego so long. He did so many other films and plays , but this is how he will be best remembered.

LLAP, he wrote. And whatever else was said here.

Annael
Immortal

Feb 28 2015, 5:07pm

Post #37 of 49 (509 views)
Shortcut
The backstory of the "Live Long and Prosper" gesture [In reply to] Can't Post

as a mythologist I LOVE this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t5I9y2CZbA

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 28 2015, 5:24pm

Post #38 of 49 (440 views)
Shortcut
This is great footage. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've read Leonard's statements before, but never seen him discuss it on camera. Its such a fabulous use of self, in creating the Vulcan culture. I think that's why it resonates so much. It came from a very personal place for him. Thus I was touched when Zachary Quinto was interviewed about what Nimoy passed on to him about playing Spock, and creating that culture. He started to answer, and then said something along the lines of no, its just too intimate. I'm going to keep it private.

Interesting in the 2009 Trek film, the actor addressing Nero calls him, "Prahd" (sp?) instead of "Captain". And JJ Abrams said, hmmm. Let's keep it in; thus we have some sort of new honorarium created which is like another layer of Romulan culture to build upon. Mythos evolving.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 28 2015, 8:06pm

Post #39 of 49 (430 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've encountered the story of the Vulcan gesture of greeting before, but not with such a full explanation!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Elarie
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2015, 8:25pm

Post #40 of 49 (437 views)
Shortcut
Sad and a little hard to grasp [In reply to] Can't Post

The Star Trek universe has been part of my imagination for most of my life. Saying good-bye to Mr. Nimoy is just too sad.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

GloryBox
Bree

Feb 28 2015, 9:30pm

Post #41 of 49 (427 views)
Shortcut
Leonard Nimoy: "Go, Bilbo!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Many of you may have already seen this, but I thought I'd try to post it anyway. The Nimoy-Quinto Audi commercial -- Best commercial ever made! Leonard and Zachary together, and every little scene is a gem --plus we get a fragment of Leonard's rendition of Bilbo Baggins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPkByAkAdZs

I'll always remember this 2-minute spot for the friendly, unforced rapport between the actors, the little homages, and the sheer good humor of it all.

Many thanks, Mr Nimoy. It was a privilege to watch any and all of your film work. We'll miss you.

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

Kim
Valinor

Feb 28 2015, 9:35pm

Post #42 of 49 (419 views)
Shortcut
That's very interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd never heard that before. And how fitting that the gesture goes so well with the Vulcan verbal blessing.

#OneLastTime

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 28 2015, 10:57pm

Post #43 of 49 (459 views)
Shortcut
You are already sorely missed Mr. Nimoy. . . "Behold! [In reply to] Can't Post

we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory, Farewell!"

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2015, 11:59pm

Post #44 of 49 (405 views)
Shortcut
He lived long - and so we have all prospered. [In reply to] Can't Post

May we continue to, remembering his humor, artistic ability, vision, and humanity.

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 1 2015, 1:34am

Post #45 of 49 (420 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* [In reply to] Can't Post

"He's not really dead as long as we remember him."
And he will definitely be remembered.

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 1 2015, 5:35am

Post #46 of 49 (383 views)
Shortcut
LLAP [In reply to] Can't Post

I was on the road, listening to NPR. I cried, then did the Vulcan salute with one hand. I can do it with both, but I was driving.

He lived long and prospered; his career was not the flash across the sky Oscar glomming "success" of some, but a longer, more steady success.

And nobody else could have been Spock. Nobody else could have taken what might have been a campy, cartoony role and turned it into a character with relatablility, with gravitas, with heart and soul.

For those of us who were wired differently, who sat in the back of the class hidden in our books, who liked science better than Barbie or the latest fashion, Spock was an archetype we could relate to. He was Different. Not just the pointy ears, or the green copper-based blood (I learned later that one of my favorite animals, the horseshoe crab, has blue copper-based blood), or even the logic... or the cool Vulcan Neck Pinch.

He was Different. He was Alien. He was Us. He was randomly bemused by humans. And misunderstood by them. But he was also a significant member of the USS Enterprise's team, the Science Officer, the one who often came up with solutions to problems by thinking them through, where Kirk reacted with, well, very loud physical action. He was the Priest/Advisor to the Warrior King. He made Science cool.

He made being Different cool.

I have read accounts by kids who were bi-racial, or on the outside because of their ethnicity, and they found something in Spock (half human, half Vulcan) to relate to. In 1968, Leonard Nimoy answered a letter a girl sent to a teen magazine, the teen was bi-racial, and felt like an outsider, like no one would ever like her.

'Not everyone will like me,' " Nimoy wrote. "But there will be those who will accept me just for who I am."

The rest of his detailed reply is here: http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2015/02/27/389589676/leonard-nimoys-advice-to-a-biracial-girl-in-1968

He was more than one character on one mid-60s science fiction show, he was Archetype, one we recognized, related to, and always will.

Spock lives on; in recordings of Star Trek: TOS, the films, the books, the collectibles, and in the new series by JJ Abrams. Zachary Quinto inherits the character, reincarnating him for a new generation.

LLAP

I still occasionally say "fascinating" or "logical" with just that intonation...

I can do the Vulcan salute with two hands at once...

In 6th grade we used to go outside at recess and one girl was very good at making up Star Trek stories on the spot (I dreamed this last night...)... we'd constantly get each other with the Vulcan Neck Pinch...

I was in 6th, 7th and 8th grades when ST:TOS was in its original run. Favorite character: Spock. Crush: Sulu.

I discovered that diversity is awesome because of Star Trek...

Spock taught me that I didn't have to "fit in"...

All my favorite fictional characters have pointy ears...

The Bilbo Baggins song thing is priceless, two of my favorite universes colliding...

The two Spocks car commercial is more than priceless... it's clear that Zachary Quinto has inherited the character with great love and will care for him well.

I too recorded audio only of some TV shows, back in the day.

We only could get one channel, it was NBC... YEAY!!!! STAR TREK!!!!

I never got to see ST in color until years later in syndication. Then...hey Spock's wearing my favorite color!

everyone now needs to make one of those Hobbit Hole birthday cakes...

Lily: "I wish we still had tape which immortalized her mother’s voice saying, “You girls are going to be so embarrassed when you grow up and remember how you acted over this program.” " LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Wish I had tape of some of those playground moments...

wow, what a legacy... to embody a character that touched so many

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Mar 1 2015, 6:27am

Post #47 of 49 (392 views)
Shortcut
What a loss [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to watch Star Trek on TV every week, and will always remember Leonard Nimoy fondly as the definitive Mr. Spock. Somehow he made the character timeless. We will miss you forever. Live long and prosper, Leonard, wherever you are, and thank you for all you have given us.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 1 2015, 2:59pm

Post #48 of 49 (377 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful story! /// [In reply to] Can't Post

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 1 2015, 3:08pm

Post #49 of 49 (379 views)
Shortcut
Lthat was great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had never seen that! You're right that it was very special. Smile

Loved all the little bits relating to Spock's character.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.