Peter Jackson's message to The One Last Party
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Feb 27 2015, 11:58am

Post #1 of 30 (2323 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson's message to The One Last Party Can't Post

For those of you who didn't catch it in person or via the live stream - here is the message which Peter Jackson sent us, for The One Last Party. Though not quite as good as having him there in person (blame the Academy and the lack of nominations!), it was fabulous to have his support of our celebration - and to know that he doesn't see this as the 'end of all things'!

Link to video

And neither do we; as noted in the post below, TORn isn't going anywhere! We may have thrown our final big celebration of PJ's trilogy, but that doesn't mean there won't be anything to celebrate in future. The Road Goes Ever On...

(This post was edited by Altaira on Feb 27 2015, 9:20pm)

cats16
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 7:20pm

Post #2 of 30 (2184 views)
Shortcut
Get some rest, Sir PJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you dearly look as if you need it. Unsure

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 27 2015, 8:45pm

Post #3 of 30 (2179 views)
Shortcut
I'm replying to you, cats, because the original post doesn't display correctly for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I just watched the video on the Home Page.

It's interesting that he kind of makes it a point to 'not' say it's the end. This is one of a string of comments that hint that there could be something else along the road.

It was very generous of him to tape that for the party. Thanks, PJ. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 8:54pm

Post #4 of 30 (2154 views)
Shortcut
He does look a bit beat! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very sweet, nice of him to think of the One Last Party, and send thoughts. I suppose the goodbyes must be very bittersweet for him; a time to rest but I know how attached he is to Middle-earth, and even to the fandom (and likewise). That open-ended goodbye is the best kind anyway. You never do know.

cats16
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 8:59pm

Post #5 of 30 (2150 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been getting the feeling that he's quietly going to make a big effort behind some closed doors in coming months/years. I haven't heard any indication in his words what he's after, but I'm anxious to see what that 'something' is. Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 27 2015, 9:27pm

Post #6 of 30 (2141 views)
Shortcut
*tearing* Geez I love that guy! *waves fondly, blows kiss* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 27 2015, 10:42pm

Post #7 of 30 (2140 views)
Shortcut
So when can we expect the announcement for a Moria Trilogy? [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson, Ken Stott, Howard Shore, Ian McKellen and Doug Adams have all hinted/suggested that this isn't quite the end of the Middle-earth movie franchise.

If we haven't heard something within 3 years I will be surprised. I suspect there will be murmurs by Christmas, unofficial comments ("no, we're not making another movie") from PJ and co. in 2016, then the official announcement in early 2017.

cats16
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 11:31pm

Post #8 of 30 (2109 views)
Shortcut
Bookmarking this post. [In reply to] Can't Post

*rubs hands together*

Cool

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 28 2015, 12:18am

Post #9 of 30 (2112 views)
Shortcut
String of comments? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you point me to any of the other ones. I haven't perhaps been paying attention, but I don't really recall anything like that.
There certainly is a financial motivation for the studio to try to do some other stuff, but I really would think that Jackson is done with Middle-earth, at least for a long time (although having said that, I could see him getting back involved in the role he was supposed to have with The Hobbit).

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 28 2015, 1:01am

Post #10 of 30 (2110 views)
Shortcut
they started erupting around the time of the movie's premiere [In reply to] Can't Post

Esp. when people in an interview reacted to the suggestion that this was the last film. Some comments were tweeted by actors.

At the moment, I can offer this:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=810648#810648

I'm not sure off hand how many previous comments mention in that thread are cited. I'm on my phone and didn't reread the whole thread.

I might be able to track some down later or maybe someone else has links.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 28 2015, 1:25am

Post #11 of 30 (2090 views)
Shortcut
Thanks very much! [In reply to] Can't Post

Heart

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Annatar598
Rohan

Feb 28 2015, 2:41am

Post #12 of 30 (2095 views)
Shortcut
He looks so tired [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel as if making these movies has completely wrecked him. I'm sure it's just my view but it certainly does look like he's taken a battering.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 28 2015, 2:53am

Post #13 of 30 (2076 views)
Shortcut
Also, the tagline is "The defining chapter"... [In reply to] Can't Post

Which to me is a very intentional way of avoiding saying the "FINAL" chapter. I think there are definite plans, and I think those plans are possibly linked to the "bridge movie" idea that they were playing with before production.

If it is a bridge movie, I wonder what it would contain? Possibly Aragorn and Legolas' adventures and Gollum's capture? But that would definitely have to be seen AFTER Lord of the Rings because it would ruin any mystery in those characters. I can't really think of any other subject matter that needs to be seen, unless they make an entirely original project?

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 28 2015, 10:56am

Post #14 of 30 (2040 views)
Shortcut
The adventures of the Talking Purse? [In reply to] Can't Post

Go on, Daniel - you know you want it! Wink And we do need an explanation of where it was and what it was doing when it should have been protecting the trolls....

Seriously, if there is something brewing, I hope they take all the time they need and have a much, much easier ride in the preparation and pre-production stage; seems to me The Hobbit has been a constant exercise in snatching victory from the jaws of chaos and I'm not surprised PJ looks tired.

And IF there is something going on, I don't think I want to know about it yet - but I do wish them all the luck in the world.

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 28 2015, 2:30pm

Post #15 of 30 (2033 views)
Shortcut
I was there and saw his message. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I didn't pick up any hint that more movies were coming. What more could be possibly do? He doesn't have the film rights to any more Tolkien material.

And if it's just made up stuff/bridge material, I'll be giving it a miss anyway.

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
--Leonard Nimoy

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 28 2015, 4:24pm

Post #16 of 30 (2012 views)
Shortcut
Who knows what might be brewing behind the scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe the studio is looking at the commercial sucess of the string of Marvel movies and thinking they'd like something like that. Maybe they are In talks with The Tolkien estate to create a steady stream of adventures based in ME and on the established "history" but not necessarily written or completed by JRRTolkien or CTolkien. I don't see why that can't find an audience of millions.

I'll have to re-read the authorized biography again but didn't JRRTolkien say he expected people to build upon his stories or something similar?

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 28 2015, 4:37pm

Post #17 of 30 (2019 views)
Shortcut
If it's like the Hobbit movies, there's a deadline [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe the film rights contain a deadline specifying that production on any additional movies based on the material in the LOTR books has to start within a certain time-frame after the last movie was made. I'm pretty sure it's less than three years, but I don't remember the details.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 28 2015, 5:18pm

Post #18 of 30 (2003 views)
Shortcut
That's correct [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I also am not sure of the exact time frame, or even the exact mechanism that triggers the new option. It is a vastly complicated contract.

And, hi Altaira!

The Hall of Fire

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 28 2015, 7:53pm

Post #19 of 30 (2007 views)
Shortcut
Jackson's statements were very ambiguous [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And I didn't pick up any hint that more movies were coming. What more could be possibly do? He doesn't have the film rights to any more Tolkien material.

And if it's just made up stuff/bridge material, I'll be giving it a miss anyway.

I can easily imagine the movie-studio executives testing the waters, but there doesn't seem to be any concrete plans for any follow-ups or sequels. There is material in the Appendices that might possibly support one or more original Middle-earth movies, but it is so sketchy that it couldn't provide much more than a rough outline for any such projects. Between the details we find in Appendices A & B and the hints about Aragorn's early life that we get in the text of The Lord of the Rings, it might be possible to make a decent movie based on Aragorn's upbringing and early adventures. Cinematically, the logical place to end such a film would be in Lothlorien with Arwen and Aragorn plying their troth. We would need younger actors to play Estel/Thorongil/Strider, but Viggo Mortensen as King Elessar could book-end the story and narrate.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2015, 9:10pm

Post #20 of 30 (2002 views)
Shortcut
Indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

These movies have quite literally made him go grey. Unsure He looks utterly exhausted, and that honestly makes me worried for him. Not to mention the weight he put back on throughout the production.

I hope he takes it easy, and that his projects going forward are more easy-going. Given that he's said he wants to work on smaller stuff, I hope he sticks to that. The stress is not good for him.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 28 2015, 10:26pm

Post #21 of 30 (1970 views)
Shortcut
Lots of people go grey at relatively younger ages [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think there's any correlation between grey and stress.

I think he looks aged. I look aged. People are always fussing about how I look when I just look like someone who's aged and not done anything about it. No hair color. No botox. No face lifts.

I think we're getting so used to how people look with ageing hiding technology that we think something is wrong when we see people age naturally.

I was pretty grey at his age. I've known people who were grey as young as 40.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2015, 10:31pm

Post #22 of 30 (1971 views)
Shortcut
Yes but he's aged an enormous amount in just the past couple years. [In reply to] Can't Post

If I thought it was just natural aging, I wouldn't be worried. But he also looks incredibly stressed out - and out of shape. I know a lot of people on here like him more rotund (saying they think he looks healthier), but I can't help but think that's nostalgia for his LotR days ("hobbity") appearance.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Feb 28 2015, 10:33pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 28 2015, 10:41pm

Post #23 of 30 (1977 views)
Shortcut
well... *shrugs shoulders* [In reply to] Can't Post

there are plenty of people out there more than willing to comment on how he looks, how lots of other people look, and how I look,... and offer their own assessment and advice.

I can assure you, that most of it is not welcomed, not particularly accurate, and mostly no one's business anyhow.

But people are going to judge (and that's what's going on here) regardless of what I say so proceed as desired.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2015, 10:47pm

Post #24 of 30 (1966 views)
Shortcut
My comments come from a place of concern, not judgement. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I apologize if I've offended anybody. That certainly wasn't my intention.

- Viggo Mortensen

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 1 2015, 12:38am

Post #25 of 30 (1956 views)
Shortcut
To clarify a little more [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a deadline for WB/NL to exercise the next option on the existing license agreement with the late Saul Zaentz's company, but of course there is nothing stopping the Zaentz company from giving an extension, or entering into a new license agreement with WB, or with another studio altogether, if the deadline expires. Or producing its own films.

The Hall of Fire

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.