Fan edits vs. Fan fiction
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2015, 6:14pm

Post #26 of 31 (442 views)
Shortcut
Personally... [In reply to] Can't Post

Fan fiction seems potentially different, to me, because it has more scope for inventing and adding pieces to a story. To take your example - I imagine it would be difficult to impossible to produce a fan edit of the Hobbit films that has a satisfying ending, AND in which Thorin lives to be King under the Mountain. There's very little footage that could be adapted to such a purpose. But in a fan fiction you are free to invent scenes, from an explanation of how Thorin survives, to whatever scenes please you showing his actions after the battle, his coronation, his farewell with Bilbo, or what have you.

Then again, I have written fan fiction in the past. Wink

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2015, 6:37pm

Post #27 of 31 (437 views)
Shortcut
You weren't rambling [In reply to] Can't Post

And it certainly was related to the fan edit analogy suggested further up - I just wasn't talking about ethics.

And yes, it wouldn't be a bad show title - though as ever I suspect there are many more good show titles in the world than there are good shows!

(This post was edited by Spriggan on Feb 28 2015, 6:42pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 28 2015, 8:13pm

Post #28 of 31 (433 views)
Shortcut
Sacred Cows? [In reply to] Can't Post

If Macbeth and King Lear can be reinterpreted as samurai dramas and Romeo and Juliet can be retold with handguns and sports cars them maybe we should give the creators of fan fiction and fan edits a break as long as they aren't hurting anybody. That said, authors and studios certainly retain the right to protect their properties.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 28 2015, 11:52pm

Post #29 of 31 (418 views)
Shortcut
Shakespeare's been dead a lot longer than 70 years though... [In reply to] Can't Post

....and I don't think there were copyright laws in his time. And when the plays are staged in modern dress, or set in other periods, they usually use his language still, or else it wouldn't be Shakespeare.

As for fan editors and fiction writers, when they edit and write at home for their own pleasure they're not hurting anyone and they are left alone - it's just getting the balance right.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 1 2015, 2:49pm

Post #30 of 31 (397 views)
Shortcut
I don't think... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Otaku is referencing an out of period stage production of Shakespeare's plays. It sounds more like he might mean Akira Kurosawa's films "Throne of Blood" (inspired by "Macbeth") and "Ran" (inspired by "King Lear").

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 1 2015, 3:02pm

Post #31 of 31 (396 views)
Shortcut
Of course creators have the right to protect their interests. [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't disagree on that. And, granted, my examples work better for justifying Peter Jackson's alterations in his adaptation than for support of fan fiction. My point is that fan fictions and fan edits do no harm to professional filmmakers and writers as long as they do not infringe on the originals financially or hurt the 'brands'.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.