Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
My Dear TORnsibs...What Color is #TheDress?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: My Dear TORnsibs...What Color is #TheDress?
Blue & Black
White & Gold
Other
View Results (53 votes)

cats16
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 4:56am

Post #1 of 92 (4107 views)
Shortcut
My Dear TORnsibs...What Color is #TheDress? Can't Post

I can't remember a recent time when the internet collectively lost its marbles so fast.

So...

What do you see? Is the dress black and blue, or white and gold?

Click here if you've been fortunate enough to avoid the most annoying thing on the Internet so far this year.

If you see something other than the correct one (that being white and gold Cool), list it below.

EvilEvilEvil

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 27 2015, 5:13am

Post #2 of 92 (3864 views)
Shortcut
just got done reading three articles at gawker sites [In reply to] Can't Post

I see a mid blue (periwinkle) and brown-but-goldish dress.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/...ctually-b-1688352412

It may be a factor of monitor settings and/or the angle you're looking at the screen.

http://gawker.com/...ity-im-go-1688357900

You got to listen to the prologue of an episode on This American Life:
If You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say, SAY IT IN ALL CAPS

(This post was edited by Magpie on Feb 27 2015, 5:15am)

cats16
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 5:20am

Post #3 of 92 (3835 views)
Shortcut
"On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog." [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I've looked at the photo for too long, because it's starting to change for me.

Also, the exposure settings in the photo are quite bad.

(And I must say, I don't find it to be a particularly good dress to begin with. Smile)

(This post was edited by cats16 on Feb 27 2015, 5:20am)

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 27 2015, 5:30am

Post #4 of 92 (3835 views)
Shortcut
I knew this sounded familiar... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and just realized what it was.

I have a long gauzy dress I wear to English Country Dance balls that is kind of an olive-y green.

I was talking with a friend at the ball and somehow the color of the dress came up. He swore it was brown. It was clearly green to me.

go figure.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 27 2015, 6:26am

Post #5 of 92 (3826 views)
Shortcut
After [In reply to] Can't Post

living through the great TORN "Red or Ripe Meat?" Debate of....whatever year that was, you would think that people debating passionately about odd things would have lost its power to surprise but...

I see White/Gold, though the white is in bluish shadow, so I can understand someone seeing blue. I don't see black at all. Unless this is about yellow/blue color-blindness, I'm thinking monitor settings/angles must have something to do with it.

Kim
Valinor

Feb 27 2015, 6:37am

Post #6 of 92 (3826 views)
Shortcut
That's what I see too [In reply to] Can't Post

although it looks more gold than brown to me. Don't understand where people are seeing black. *clicked on your links* hmmm, ok. I still see gold and blue on my monitor.

As for the prologue, that's why I don't read comments. I guess I'm one of the few people who do still notice. Crazy

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 27 2015, 7:11am

Post #7 of 92 (3838 views)
Shortcut
I see blue and black. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, actually, it depends!

When I first clicked on your link this morning, the dress was clearly white and gold. But Buzzfeed are running this article on the dress, and now I can see it as blue and black. If I scroll up and down or refresh the page, I can trick my brain into seeing both colour options. It's rather odd.

It's a bit like the spinning dancer

Click here.

Once you see her spin both clockwise and anticlockwise, it's pretty easy to switch between the two.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Feb 27 2015, 7:11am)

cats16
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 7:20am

Post #8 of 92 (3831 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

After looking at the Buzzfeed link, I now realize that I see blue and black when I squint. And, like Silverlode, I can see the blue tinge in normal conditions.

Hmm, only seeing clockwise on the dancer. Will keep watching...Crazy

Edit: Ok, it got me. Now I'm dizzy. Pirate

(This post was edited by cats16 on Feb 27 2015, 7:23am)

Kim
Valinor

Feb 27 2015, 7:27am

Post #9 of 92 (3804 views)
Shortcut
That dancer kind of freaks me out [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw her change directions mid-spin! Shocked

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 10:08am

Post #10 of 92 (3786 views)
Shortcut
I don't understand why there is even a question about it. // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 27 2015, 11:24am

Post #11 of 92 (3781 views)
Shortcut
That's what I see, also. [In reply to] Can't Post

Blue and gold...at that angle.

I once painted a kitchen what I thought was a pleasant shade of green, then turned on the fluorescent light and the walls turned yellow...Tongue

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 11:32am

Post #12 of 92 (3804 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm. Its white and gold no matter how I squint [In reply to] Can't Post

or tilt the monitor. The fabric lends a cool, bluish hue to the whiter spectrum, but its white. So I am not sure I get the buzzle.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 27 2015, 1:20pm

Post #13 of 92 (3779 views)
Shortcut
I've never seen black produce gold under any lighting... [In reply to] Can't Post

Black under any lighting conditions should always look black, possibly dark brown. But the top of that dress is clearly a light brown/gold colour, and Photoshop can't find any hint of black on that dress. I can't understand how that's happened?

I can see the tints of blue. But white on digital cameras always has tinges of blue if the white balance isn't managed. The real dress is actually such a deep violet, though it just looks like a completely different dress to me. (I'm sure it's not but it looks like it)

Gianna
Rohan

Feb 27 2015, 1:28pm

Post #14 of 92 (3776 views)
Shortcut
White and gold [In reply to] Can't Post

No matter which angle I look at it from, it's white and gold. Not sure how the black and blue comes is! (Although I do see a blue tint on the white part.)

Bofur01
Lorien

Feb 27 2015, 2:21pm

Post #15 of 92 (3773 views)
Shortcut
It is blue and black... [In reply to] Can't Post

The company are considering making a white and gold one due to this confusion...

Starglass
Rivendell

Feb 27 2015, 3:03pm

Post #16 of 92 (3760 views)
Shortcut
Gold and white [In reply to] Can't Post

I really can't see anything other than gold and white. Maybe just the lightest blue tinge on the white panels, but nothing close to dark blue and black.

Now all the posts about the "dress" on FB make sense...Crazy

Starglass
Rivendell

Feb 27 2015, 3:06pm

Post #17 of 92 (3768 views)
Shortcut
The dancer [In reply to] Can't Post

I found that the easiest way for me to "switch" the dancer is to focus on her arm to get her from going clockwise to counterclockwise and her bottom foot to get her back to clockwise. Weird...

Did anybody else find the same?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 27 2015, 3:42pm

Post #18 of 92 (3786 views)
Shortcut
Blue and Brown(?) [In reply to] Can't Post

In the photo, at least, the dress looks blue and (perhaps) brown. However, I don't know how much of that is the lighting and how the fabric reflects the light.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 27 2015, 3:43pm)

CathrineB
Rohan

Feb 27 2015, 4:28pm

Post #19 of 92 (3749 views)
Shortcut
Both [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw white and gold earlier, but blue and black later Laugh

Then I read that the true color is blue and black though.

cats16
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 7:23pm

Post #20 of 92 (3725 views)
Shortcut
Looks like white & gold has the lead, so far. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 8:13pm

Post #21 of 92 (3723 views)
Shortcut
I saw other versions online, QT [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Black under any lighting conditions should always look black, possibly dark brown. But the top of that dress is clearly a light brown/gold colour, and Photoshop can't find any hint of black on that dress. I can't understand how that's happened?

I can see the tints of blue. But white on digital cameras always has tinges of blue if the white balance isn't managed. The real dress is actually such a deep violet, though it just looks like a completely different dress to me. (I'm sure it's not but it looks like it)

and then saw the other color shifts. What In note in the various pics is the background colors to the right: in the white/gold state, the background stuff - particularly something red - fades to pale pink. When the background colors are properly represented, to me it looks copper/periwinkle. So I never see black and blue, but in the more highly exposed shot I do see a bluish and deeper brownish/copper.

ABC shows the fades in a video clip:

Great Dress Debate and why we see it differently

And postulates it is individual color receptor activity based on the ambient light in the shot. Crazy but neat stuff.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 8:39pm

Post #22 of 92 (3730 views)
Shortcut
I see white and gold [In reply to] Can't Post

Though the white has a slightly bluish tint to it to my eyes. But my mom sees blue and grey.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2015, 8:57pm

Post #23 of 92 (3731 views)
Shortcut
You're not going to believe this, but [In reply to] Can't Post

my daughter just this moment come in the room with her iPod and asked this very question--Mr. RD and I agree on gold and white, but kids think blue and black. My daughter blames it on faulty rods and cones in our aged eyes. Tongue

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 9:00pm

Post #24 of 92 (3711 views)
Shortcut
Yes, us old folks can always tell rain is coming [In reply to] Can't Post

because we lose our color vision. Dang busted creaky rods.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2015, 9:05pm

Post #25 of 92 (3698 views)
Shortcut
Bwahaha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew there was a storm coming...Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.