Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
are you a Tolkien fan who thanks PJ, or a PJ fan who thanks Tolkien?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 26 2015, 9:51pm

Post #26 of 38 (2592 views)
Shortcut
First and foremost I consider myself a Tolkien fan [In reply to] Can't Post

But I really love much of the SPJ M-e films, and am thankful for the care taken. Very enjoyable to me. But Tolkien is a lifetime of enjoyment on another plane.

demnation
Rohan

Feb 26 2015, 11:45pm

Post #27 of 38 (2582 views)
Shortcut
What is up with these kinds of threads recently? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't say I'm really a fan of this VS. stuff. Why does it matter, anyway?

Now I remember why I left the site.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

(This post was edited by demnation on Feb 26 2015, 11:45pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2015, 11:46pm

Post #28 of 38 (2577 views)
Shortcut
For me [In reply to] Can't Post

I cannot have one without the other. Tolkien's wonderful stories. PJ's wonderful films. I thank them both equally. In my lifetime I wanted to see all of these films made. I got my wish. from a kid who picked up the LOTR and Hobbit in a small bookstore in the mid to late sixties till now. My dreams have come true and without both of these fine gentlemen (and PJ's wonderful sidekicks in Fran and Phil et.al) none of it would have been realized. So pints raised all around for me!

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you, Gandalf the Grey

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 27 2015, 3:11am

Post #29 of 38 (2565 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien fan since I was a child [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Jacksons ME films but have little interest in his other works. Now that I'm more aware of him, I might be a bit more interested. But, nothing compares with the original.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 27 2015, 4:07am

Post #30 of 38 (2561 views)
Shortcut
Glorfindela, have you ever tried the BBC radio show? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's by far the most immersive Tolkien experience I've ever had. Lying in bed each night with your eyes closed and hearing Middle-earth surround you as if you're right in the middle of it, it's incredible. I've owned it on CD for years and only gave it a chance a few months ago, wish I'd done it earlier.

Nothing trumps the book in terms of quality though. I genuinely cry when I read Sam's words "Well, I'm back" because you really feel you've gone on this long journey with him and it's come to an end. Especially because I'm a slow reader so it takes me weeks to get through it all. Laugh

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2015, 5:15am

Post #31 of 38 (2561 views)
Shortcut
read LOTR in 1978 [In reply to] Can't Post

...so Tolkien fan first...

then PJ did the best adaptation ever of an "unfilmable" book.

and the Hobbit? More of Middle Earth! Also, more detail in the film from a book that I didn't love quite as much as LOTR

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 27 2015, 10:56am

Post #32 of 38 (2543 views)
Shortcut
I've yet to try the BBC radio show [In reply to] Can't Post

I have heard that it's really good from one of my sisters. I must try it out…

Smile

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 27 2015, 1:35pm

Post #33 of 38 (2530 views)
Shortcut
I'm just a LOTR fan, at the end of the day :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

So, I've been reading Tolkien since somewhere in the mid-1960s, when I read Hobbit as a child. I never was much of a Hobbit fan, vastly preferring Narnia and always getting Hobbit mixed up with the Princess and Curdie and all the goblins, etc.

The only Tolkien I re-read is LOTR, which I have read, conservatively speaking, approximately 40 times (so roughly every year since the late 60s/early 70s, with an occasional lapse).

For perspective, to my knowledge I have only read the Hobbit three times, and once was for a Reading Room discussion, and I didn't like it then, either.

Ditto the Sil. Ditto UT or Lost Tales, or any other non-LOTR tales, although I have read them and many others in an effort to understand LOTR. Smile

I only really like and re-watch FOTR as far as the movies go. This isn't because I don't LIKE those specific movies, it's just a reflection of my general non-movie personality. I watch very few movies, and the only ones I actually re-watch are To Kill a Mockingbird and Wizard of Oz. And FOTR, which is the quietist of all of PJs interpretations, the closest to the feeling of the books, and for which PJ has my undying gratitude in those opening scenes of Hobbiton and Gandalf's cart over the little bridge. I forgave him many an extended fight scene in the rest of the LOTR films for those opening scenes.

I watched all the Hobbit movies once, as my daughter is a fan and we go together. I didn't really care for them, which is not surprising since the book itself leaves me cold and I am not even fan enough of the book to know where PJ has deviated from the story therein!

What should I take from all these discussions about "do you like the books or the movies best"? I don't know. I think in twenty years the LOTR films will be dated and I don't think it will even take that long for the Hobbit films to feel dated, and hopefully at that time I will still be re-reading LOTR from my very old, very beat up copies.

So I guess I am just a LOTR fan, and Tolkien gave it to me, so I thank Tolkien.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 2:36pm

Post #34 of 38 (2521 views)
Shortcut
The BBC radio adaptation? It is very good..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I second (or is it third) that. Certainly worth a listen.

shadow0421
Bree

Feb 27 2015, 5:21pm

Post #35 of 38 (2504 views)
Shortcut
I am forever indebted to PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried, REALLY tried to read the Hobbit and LOTR when I was in high school back in the '80s, but for me Tolkien was just too detailed and he couldn't keep my interest. Didn't have any Tolkien books, that is until Fellowship came out. This is when I became a Tolkien fan. PJ made ME so real. I loved everything about it. The casting, acting, writing, and of course the MUSIC was perfect. I had Tolkien fever bad. I bought all the books pertaining to ME and started reading. Using PJ's visuals Tolkien now came to life for me. Tolkien was a literary genius and I love his world even though I understand only a little of it. I'm currently reading The History of The Hobbit and just recently purchased a few UC LOTR swords. Also, PJ's LOTR wouldn't be the masterpieces they are today if it wasn't for Howard Shore's music, so THANK YOU Mr. Shore!! They are my favorite soundstracks of all-time. I was disappointed in PJ's Hobbit movies but enjoy them enough to rewatch them over and over again. Can't get enough of ME!

Farficom
Rivendell

Feb 28 2015, 4:31am

Post #36 of 38 (2484 views)
Shortcut
Ever since I picked up the books when I was 13-14 years old, and I'll be coming of age by hobbit standards in a few short weeks. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have considered myself a J.R.R. Tolkien fan first and foremost, but I am thankful for all the movies and cartoons that have been made. I am not such a purist that I can't enjoy them for what they are, or any other little slice of Middle-earth that has been served up for us to feast on over the years because no matter what I always find myself coming back to the main source... and that is the masterworks of one Professor Tolkien.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 1 2015, 4:00pm

Post #37 of 38 (2454 views)
Shortcut
I'm a Tolkien Fan who embraces Jackson's Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been reading Tolkien since 1971. When I heard of Jackson's version of the story being made, I was very apprehensive. But Philippa Boyens, Fran Walsh and Jackson's honour of the original text and Tolkien's world is what made these films a success, imho. They added more to the story, yes... but for me it's just given me MORE Tolkien because they maintained the spirit, tone and class of the books.

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

dreamflower
Lorien

Mar 3 2015, 9:12pm

Post #38 of 38 (2439 views)
Shortcut
I thank them both [In reply to] Can't Post

Both of them have given me great enjoyment, and an opportunity to meet and interact with other friends around the world.
But that said, without Tolkien, PJ would not have had Middle-earth in the first place.
"Tolkien movies have proven succesfull prior to PJ "
Really? *shudder*recalls Bakshi*

Some people call it fanfiction. I call it story-internal literary criticism.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.