The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Who changed the forum to flat mode?

Dwarewien
Rohan

Feb 26 2015, 11:23pm

Post #1 of 21 (2102 views)
Shortcut
Who changed the forum to flat mode? Can't Post

I mean when I'm logged off, since when I log on, I can still view the forum in threaded, since I set this mode to my default mode. I'm not complaining, I'm just curious. Just when I get used to threaded mode, someone changes it back to flat. I prefer threaded, since it's much easier to reply to someone directly. Luckily, you can still opt to view the threads in threaded mode, it was just easier when this was the default mode.Crazy

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 26 2015, 11:47pm

Post #2 of 21 (1970 views)
Shortcut
I don't think anyone changed it. [In reply to] Can't Post

The display options are in your profile, but if you go to the boards while logged off, your profile settings won't work. I don't know what gets saved in your cookies, if you're using the same computer as when you're logged in, so it's possible the display you see is that of the last person who hit the site.

Altaira or Inferno might be able to give us more information but as far as I know, no one changed the default.

Kim
Valinor

Feb 27 2015, 12:17am

Post #3 of 21 (1963 views)
Shortcut
It's still showing threaded mode to me when I log off [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is also my default. Maybe clear your internet cache?

#OneLastTime

Dwarewien
Rohan

Feb 27 2015, 2:23am

Post #4 of 21 (1946 views)
Shortcut
It's got to be these public computers... [In reply to] Can't Post

since my computer's too old to get the Internet, so I'm mostly on public computers (except for Mondays, when I'm at my parents' place to have at least one decent home cooked meal). I think they need to update their Java or something, since not all the images are showing up on Tumblr either (they worked fine last week). They probably need to get the IT guy in to do that. I was just curious, since yesterday, it seemed to be fine, so I wondered if somebody changed the settings. When I'm on my parents' computer, everything works fine (probably because theirs is the most updated).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Arveldis
Rivendell

Feb 27 2015, 2:44am

Post #5 of 21 (1945 views)
Shortcut
Queen of Erebor isn't the only one. [In reply to] Can't Post

I normally view in threaded mode too when logged out, but it's suddenly changed to flat. I haven't changed anything about my browsing options/Internet. I've tried several different browsers and they're all giving me flat mode.

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 27 2015, 3:38am

Post #6 of 21 (1940 views)
Shortcut
No, it's happened to me too [In reply to] Can't Post

Forums are suddenly in flat mode when I'm not signed in. Also happening on my phone. Crazy Not a problem, but curious.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Feb 27 2015, 3:39am)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 27 2015, 3:48am

Post #7 of 21 (1943 views)
Shortcut
Ok, thanks all [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting that it appears to have switched. I'll have to defer to Altaira or Inferno with a technical review. I'm always on computers that have me logged in, so I can't see the change.

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 4:14am

Post #8 of 21 (1960 views)
Shortcut
It was me who changed it [In reply to] Can't Post

It's all part of my plan to draw others into my flat board society. We are everywhere...

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 4:26am

Post #9 of 21 (1935 views)
Shortcut
Is that related [In reply to] Can't Post

to the Flat Earth Society?

EvilLaughAngelic

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 5:09am

Post #10 of 21 (1923 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but due to modern health and safety standards [In reply to] Can't Post

We are always careful to stay away from the edge.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 5:15am

Post #11 of 21 (1918 views)
Shortcut
Oops! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like these guys forgot to read them!

Laugh

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 27 2015, 2:28pm

Post #12 of 21 (1889 views)
Shortcut
For me... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it's not happening on my PC, but it has started to happen on my smartphone.

No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a wonderful town!!!
Mount Doom blew up,
And the Black Tower's down!!
The orcs all fell in a hole in the ground!
No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a heckuva town!!!

-Lord of the Rings: The Musical, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 27 2015, 3:01pm

Post #13 of 21 (1894 views)
Shortcut
Twas I [In reply to] Can't Post

Based on some recent feedback, I decided to try making flat mode the default because that's what most people who come here to join are used to. Some of them are turned off by threaded mode and lose interest, so I thought if I make flat the default it might make things easier for those young folks whos eyes aren't good enough to read in threaded. Wink Of course, I also know that people can set it any way they want it, so it wouldn't be a burden on anyone who'd rather view everything in threaded mode.

Having said all that, it's an experiment. If it messes people up the opposite way (i.e., Darkstone's comment about his cell phone), I'll change it back.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 3:43pm

Post #14 of 21 (1870 views)
Shortcut
Life on the edge: I never knew [In reply to] Can't Post

where that term came from. It must be part of the F.E. Society's scientific lexicon, and passed into common parlance with no understanding of the underpinnings of research in Dark Flatter and Quantum [ahem] Tables.

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 6:17pm

Post #15 of 21 (1857 views)
Shortcut
Excellent [In reply to] Can't Post

I am now officially part of the young folks scene. Cool

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2015, 11:51pm

Post #16 of 21 (1851 views)
Shortcut
That explains it... [In reply to] Can't Post

When I linked from an email notification but wasn't logged in yet, the view was flat.

I will say this, regarding the threaded-or-flat conversation: for me and my daughter (who is planning on joining the boards), flat view is extremely confusing to follow. There's a processing disorder that she has, and I probably have, that makes it hard for us to keep enough information in our heads at once to understand who is replying to whom without threaded view helping us out. So, thanks for keeping the threaded option available to those of us who need or prefer it!

Is there an option to view in threaded even when not logged in?

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 1 2015, 12:18am

Post #17 of 21 (1837 views)
Shortcut
Yes, there is.... [In reply to] Can't Post

When you enter a forum, on the top right there is a button to "Expand all Threads", which will show you all threads in outline form. When you click into the thread, again there is a button on the top right to "View Threaded".

So it takes a couple of extra clicks to toggle the settings, but you can use Threaded mode even when logged out.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

DeadRabbits
Rohan

Mar 3 2015, 12:14pm

Post #18 of 21 (1778 views)
Shortcut
I find flat mode extremely confusing... [In reply to] Can't Post

... since it's almost impossible to follow the discussions, and keep track of who replied to whom. Or maybe I just need practice?

I liked threaded mode much better (I've changed my profile settings to threaded, but I don't want to log every time I'm about to check the boards for new posts).

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 3 2015, 3:23pm

Post #19 of 21 (1769 views)
Shortcut
Just curious [In reply to] Can't Post

First, thanks for the feedback, DR. I'm curious, though, as to why someone wouldn't want to log in to check the board for new posts? Do you know if you click the 'remember me' box when you log in, you don't have to log back in after that (unless you log back out for some reason). If you're mostly trying to save the step of logging, that might help. It's easier to see if you have unread posts if you're logged in.

I prefer threaded mode too if there are a lot of sub-threads. However, if most of the posts are replies to the original post, I appreciate being able to skim them in flat mode. Anyway, as I said, this is an experiment, so it may go back to threaded being the default depending on the feedback I get from people who visit TORn primarily from their phones and tablets, or who prefer not to log in when they first visit (still curious about that one Laugh)

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 3 2015, 5:21pm

Post #20 of 21 (1753 views)
Shortcut
JUst for the record... [In reply to] Can't Post

I almost always read in flat.

But the forum remembers that preference, so I did not even notice the change.

DeadRabbits
Rohan

Mar 4 2015, 12:33pm

Post #21 of 21 (1743 views)
Shortcut
Out of habit, I guess... and caution [In reply to] Can't Post

I never tick the "rembember me" boxes anywhere, as a safety measure, and I usually surf in private mode on my smartphone, so I guess the browser won't remember that I ticked the box anyway.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.