Hobbit Challenge, 2015!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

banaili
Bree

Feb 26 2015, 8:04pm

Post #1 of 52 (2920 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Challenge, 2015!! Can't Post

Hello, all! Smile I'm still very new here, but I thought I'd start off by posting about something that seems like a lot of fun and a chance for international Tolkien/PJ fan creativity! ^_^

Peter Jackson and Warner Bros. have been sponsoring a whole bunch of contests for fans of the Hobbit series since the movies began! I don't know how many of you might have entered (or even won!) past contests, but I was wondering if anyone entered the recent Hobbit Challenge?

The recent contest asked fans to choose between three scenes from the Hobbit trilogy and recreate them in their own image, using the very same dialogue! The one rule was that the dialogue could not altered, and it had to be in the main language of the country from which the video was entered.

My sister and I live in Japan, so we recreated two of the scenes with a Japanese twist.

We tried to do something very different with our scenes (especially the Smaug scene!), so if you'd like to know more about why we made the changes and choices we did, please check out the descriptions below each video on Youtube for more information! Smile

You can watch our scenes at the below links! (And if you like them, please leave a comment on Youtube--it always helps! Heart )

Good Morning (Japanese Bilbo & Gandalf): http://youtu.be/H-Zbx_UILXA

Hide & Seek (Japanese Bilbo & Smaug): http://youtu.be/lUvX3giH_n8

Did anyone else on TORN make their own recreations of scenes from the films? If you did, please share them in this thread for everyone to enjoy! I'd love to see the work of other fans as well! Smile

Happy Hobbiting to you all! ^_^/

(This post was edited by banaili on Feb 26 2015, 8:05pm)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2015, 10:48pm

Post #2 of 52 (2782 views)
Shortcut
Delightful! [In reply to] Can't Post

great job! *applause* Especially enjoyed the Smaug as mob boss scene, with machine gun armed enforcers as his "wings", lol! Nice costume and jewelry props too! I liked Bilbo's way of pointing the two fingers at the enforcer to his/her right, to appear nonchalant. Also the fellow who played Gandalf displayed nice comic timing and charm in his performance.

Hey Otaku-sempai, you might appreciate these!

[spoken:] Once upon a time in Arda, First Age…

Beren, on the run from the Dark,
Its Sudden-Flame strike
Came down on his life, lived rough,
So rough,
Luthien was out in the glade,
She ran from the Man,
His limbs stayed by chains of love,
Of love.

But Thingol said to hold on,
What have you got?
You can’t just have the Princess, that is asking a lot.
You’ll fetch the jewels from ol’ Morgoth,
for love,
Or have her you’ll not!

Whoa, if that’s your will,
Whoa, this I will fulfill!
In my hand from the Crown, a Silmaril,
This I will fulfill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDK9QqIzhwk

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 26 2015, 11:26pm

Post #3 of 52 (2764 views)
Shortcut
These are fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Creative and beautiful filming! I love your Gandalf's expressions! And Smaug...elegant and scary, as he should be! KUDOS!!!! Cool

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 26 2015, 11:37pm

Post #4 of 52 (2758 views)
Shortcut
Excellent, well done! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your Smaug scene is particularly clever.

bungobaggins
Lorien

Feb 27 2015, 3:17am

Post #5 of 52 (2751 views)
Shortcut
Huh [In reply to] Can't Post

"The one rule was that the dialogue could not altered"

Kind of a strange rule from a contest about a series of films that played so fast and loose with the source material.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 27 2015, 4:09am

Post #6 of 52 (2718 views)
Shortcut
I am blown away by these! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your videos are magnificent - and I love the characters, especially Smaug!

Well done! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 27 2015, 4:26am

Post #7 of 52 (2722 views)
Shortcut
Would love to know how you'd interpret Bilbo disappearing... [In reply to] Can't Post

Great scenes, makes me want to see more just so I can see how you'd reinterpret everything. I can imagine the three trolls Laugh and maybe everyone hiding in brewery kegs in a drug lord's supply truck Tongue

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2015, 5:47am

Post #8 of 52 (2708 views)
Shortcut
wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Neatly done!

Very Hobbity Bilbo.

Excellent Gandalf (love the Japanese twist in the hat, though he looks precisley like... Gandalf!)

and I have no idea where you found Smaug, but he is gorgeous ... and very professional in his portrayal.

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

(This post was edited by swordwhale on Feb 27 2015, 5:47am)

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 27 2015, 6:19am

Post #9 of 52 (2707 views)
Shortcut
Very cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I want you to do the whole thing, LOL!

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

banaili
Bree

Feb 27 2015, 2:56pm

Post #10 of 52 (2643 views)
Shortcut
Wow! What a nice comment! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much!! Heart

We were only given two weeks to make these, so our original thought was that making a realistic, actually scary dragon would be super difficult. We wanted to find some way around that that would fit with our location and still (hopefully) not detract from the scary yet regal nature of the character. So we have him as a bit of a prissy, pretty (but powerful) boy who is used to getting what he wants, haha! Tongue (Except for his one insecurity--his scar!)

And the "wings" came about while taking a shower one day...suddenly just thought..."WINGMEN!" XDD And that's how it worked, haha!

Also, you know, Gandalf's actor told us he that he thought he did an awful job and wasn't good enough at all, even when we told him that he nailed the role (and in one take, too)! We will absolutely tell him what you've said here, because it will make him feel so happy! ^_^

We're so grateful, too! Thank you so much!!! Heart

banaili
Bree

Feb 27 2015, 3:01pm

Post #11 of 52 (2635 views)
Shortcut
Thanks bunches!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Truly, your comments mean so much! I'm really blown away by some of the comments here--didn't expect that people would enjoy the films so much! We're aspiring filmmakers, so if we were able to make something that people enjoyed, then we've done our jobs! ^_____^ That really is always the most rewarding part!

And hooray for Gandalf! XD I mentioned it in another comment, but the actor for Gandalf really thought he did a terrible job. We have NO idea where he got that idea from, because he was absolutely spot-on in every take we did, and we usually ended up getting his shots in one take--we just did extras for the sake of having more footage to work with. But he's a first-time actor, and he's absolutely stunning! Smile

As for Smaug--he also isn't an actor (although he has modeled)! But he just had the perfect aura for the character, and hearing that he really brought to life Smaug for those who watched is really wonderful! We're so glad! Heart

Thank you again!!!! *hugs*

banaili
Bree

Feb 27 2015, 3:03pm

Post #12 of 52 (2633 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! We had a lot of fun with that one! :P [In reply to] Can't Post

Took a lot of time to find a proper location (although that was true for both scenes), but Smaug's was very last-minute and worked out surprisingly well! XD Everything came together in the end--we're so glad, especially if you enjoyed! ^_^ Thank you again!! Heart

banaili
Bree

Feb 27 2015, 3:05pm

Post #13 of 52 (2638 views)
Shortcut
That's true! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although, I forgot to mention that they also required the scene to be under 2 minutes, and we had to finish them within two weeks. I suppose the dialogue part was the most challenging part of the rules, though! (Especially for the actors--according to our actors, the mandatory Japanese translation was a bit strange, too! O.o)

banaili
Bree

Feb 27 2015, 3:11pm

Post #14 of 52 (2635 views)
Shortcut
Much thanks, and NEW ENGLAND! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for your truly kind and thoughtful comment! Heart We're seriously been moved by the warm reception here--didn't realize so many people would enjoy them! It's wonderful to share the love with other Tolkien fans! Smile (And we will pass on your compliments to the actors, who are all first-time actors and are actually just friends of ours whom we asked to work with us for the contest! XD They'll be so thankful for your kind words! ^_^)

BY THE WAY! This may seem a bit odd, but I saw on your profile that you are from Connecticut? A New Englander?? HOW COOL!!! Actually, although we've lived in Japan the last five years, we're from western Rhode Island originally! High fives to you! Cool (Hope you've been okay with the snow, though!!)

banaili
Bree

Feb 27 2015, 3:16pm

Post #15 of 52 (2637 views)
Shortcut
First of all, thanks a bunch for your comment!!! :D And... [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, we actually had something worked out for Bilbo disappearing (a lot of it involved camera tricks), but in the time frame we had, we couldn't do it! T_T Too bad!

And we're so glad to hear that! The re-interpreting really is fun, and we'd love for the chance to make more as well! We did actually come up with something for the trolls, and a concept for the dwarves and their mission! Tongue Indeed, it would be terribly fun to make more, although we made these two with our own money (which is not much at all XD Had to skimp this past month and are still suffering the consequences--BUT THEY WERE WORTH IT! XD). Maybe if we started a Kickstarter or something, we might be able to get some funding to continue making more! That would be our dream! Smile

Also, your drug lord idea is HILARIOUS and great!!!!! XD The possibilities really are endless!!

Thank you again for your kind comment! Heart

banaili
Bree

Feb 27 2015, 3:26pm

Post #16 of 52 (2629 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much--the actors will be so thankful for your kind words! ^_^ [In reply to] Can't Post

Truly! All of the actors are actually good friends of ours (Gandalf is a student we teach at an English school, Smaug is a former co-worker, and Bilbo is our classmate). We had all of them in mind for the characters even before the scenes had been decided, so we were very lucky that they were available to do the scenes! (On top of that, none of them have acted before, so we were blown away by their performances! Smile )

You know, at the end of the shoot, our Bilbo took the classic Martin Freeman pose--that is, middle fingers in the air and all! XD We really did have a lot of fun in the short time we had! ^_^

About Gandalf's costume, we had a TON of fun going around to older Japanese secondhand shops and putting the whole thing together! It actually took a lot of time, but we found one shop where we ended up buying both his kimono and obi. The kimono has almost the exact look of Gandalf's robe in the movies, so it was incredible luck that we managed to find that! And the obi (the belt) had this really beautiful, intricate detail that looked both Japanese and Middle Earth-ish to us--although the camera can't pick that up). But finding them was like some sort of revelation! XD There are just so many fun jobs in filmmaking! Tongue And if you were able to still see him as Gandalf, just with a Japanese twist, then we succeeded in our goal! HOORAY!!! \^o^/ (Although to be fair, the actor is really the reason the costume worked so well!!! Tongue )

Also, we will pass your compliments on to dear Smaug! He is a very modest guy, but we're confident he will be happy to hear your kind thoughts! (He really should go into acting--he was SUPER helpful and professional the whole time! :D)

Thanks again for your comment! Sorry I've written you a book in return! X'D

banaili
Bree

Feb 27 2015, 3:31pm

Post #17 of 52 (2629 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much!! <3 [In reply to] Can't Post

We absolutely, absolutely would love to do all three films! As aspiring filmmakers and huge Tolkien and Peter Jackson fans, that would be.........A DREAM!!!! XD

With these two scenes, we ended up using all of our monthly salary to make them--although we do not regret it one bit! Tongue What an experience! Unfortunately though, we probably couldn't keep it up every month! X'D Although we were thinking that if enough people liked these films, maybe we could start a Kickstarter or something to see if we could get funding to do more scenes and perhaps even all three films (or at least enough to get the story across as clearly and concisely as possible)! We can't say how much we'd love to continue, especially with a Japanese version! Smile It's nice to know that people have already enjoyed what we've done, because that's the biggest compliment and reward! Thank you so much, truly! Heart

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 27 2015, 5:02pm

Post #18 of 52 (2613 views)
Shortcut
You're missing a fun winter... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if you like shovelling snow, that is! We've gotten clobbered at times, and RI and the Boston/Cape Cod areas have had some huge amounts. I know Boston's gotten over 7 feet this season so far.

My grown kids and I saw the Hobbit Trilogy at the Lincoln Mall cinema! That's also where we've seen LotR trilogies. Were you able to get to them when you lived there?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2015, 6:12pm

Post #19 of 52 (2604 views)
Shortcut
carry on and Hobbit! [In reply to] Can't Post

also, would cheerfully watch the Japanese version (even though the only Japanese I know is from shotokan karate... I can still count to ten)... with subtitles.

When watching any film in a language I don't speak, I prefer to listen to it in its original language with subtitles; that way you hear the original actors' voices, the way they say things, the subtleties of their inflections, and there's no weird out of sync lip movements. I watched several Miyzaki films, Seven Samurai, and the Chinese films Crouching Tiger, House of Flying Daggers and Hero in their original languages... much better.

With Miyazaki's Arrietty we noticed that the English dubbed version left a lot out of certain scenes; they had to more or less lip-sync the English dialog to the Japanese animation. When you watched the scene in Japanese, with English subtitles, there was a better, more complete translation of what was really being said (they didn't have to lip-sync, they could just translate). (Great movie by the way!)

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2015, 7:29pm

Post #20 of 52 (2594 views)
Shortcut
Glad to be supportive of your fine efforts! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're very welcome, and thank you for sharing the fruits of your fine work with us. Btw, i have "liked" both youtube entries.

Yes, please do convey my compliments to your Gandalf. While you're at it, please also deliver same to all your collaborators, cast and crew. Each and every one, incl. yourself, should be proud.

So much potential for expansion. Would you reinterpret the whole trilogy as a mafia/yakuza crime thriller with comedic elements? Very interested in seeing where you might take it. Wondering how you might approach the songs / musical numbers (straight translations, or something more?), the Eagles (a police helicopter?), magical duels v Necromancer (Gandalf with guns?), the Lost and hallucinating in Mirkwood scenes (trapped in a drug den?), the Spiders (trapped in a S&M den?) I'm having fun imagining it. Smile

i also happen to be a fan of Japanese cinema & culture, incl. manga/anime, especially Miyazaki!, as well as live action, such as Beat Takeshi movies, esp. Battle Royale and Zatoichi. (Have studied some aikido and a smidge of kendo too.) If you were to do a retelling of The Hobbit, that would bring both interests of mine together quite nicely. I wish you the best in making it happen! Thanks again! Heart

[spoken:] Once upon a time in Arda, First Age…

Beren, on the run from the Dark,
Its Sudden-Flame strike
Came down on his life, lived rough,
So rough,
Luthien was out in the glade,
She ran from the Man,
His limbs stayed by chains of love,
Of love.

But Thingol said to hold on,
What have you got?
You can’t just have the Princess, that is asking a lot.
You’ll fetch the jewels from ol’ Morgoth,
for love,
Or have her you’ll not!

Whoa, if that’s your will,
In my hand from the Crown, a Silmaril,
This I will fulfill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDK9QqIzhwk

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 8:15pm

Post #21 of 52 (2587 views)
Shortcut
Most welcome! And give that uncertain Gandalf a high-five! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I second the idea that we'd love to see a longer Smaug mini-film.

Gianna
Rohan

Feb 28 2015, 1:40am

Post #22 of 52 (2572 views)
Shortcut
An easy way to make Bilbo "disappear" [In reply to] Can't Post

I did a fanfilm of The Hobbit two summers ago, and there is actually a pretty easy way to make it seem like he disappears. Basically, what I did was film the actor putting on the Ring; then I cut but held the camera still whilst the actor left the frame. Then I simply did a quick shot of the exact same frame as Bilbo had been standing in. If the second shot covers the exact same frame as the first one did, it really looks like he disappears!

Hope that made sense -- and hope it helps out if you ever need something like this again!

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

Gianna
Rohan

Feb 28 2015, 1:46am

Post #23 of 52 (2570 views)
Shortcut
That was fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

The way you recreated the scenes was very original and creative, and all the actors were fantastic. I really enjoyed it! Thank you so much for sharing the links.

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 1 2015, 3:56pm

Post #24 of 52 (2509 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* This is fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

And WHAT FUN! I love the creativity and passion of Fans, and you are at the top of the list :)

WELL DONE!!! *high five*

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

banaili
Bree

Mar 1 2015, 8:04pm

Post #25 of 52 (2491 views)
Shortcut
So I've heard! (Been worrying about my family...) [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you guys are all taking care! :( Snow during the wintertime is a nice thing--really provides that appropriate winter feeling. But I think it's been juuust a bit too much on the New England end this winter! Take care and stay warm! Heart

OH GOODNESS, how nostalgic! Heart We used to go to a few different theaters when we lived in Rhode Island, but Lincoln Cinemas was our number one! I remember when the mall was losing business quickly and had so very shops left--they did have one swordshop though that was magical to visit right after watching the LotR films there! Smile Now I know they've been doing much better recently, with Target and other big stores opening there! Glad it's a place that people still frequent!! ^_^

As for "The Hobbit," we've mostly seen them out here! (You can see the original English version with Japanese subtitles!) What treasures! And the cinemas we went to here are reminiscent of home, in many ways! The nice thing is that Japanese fans LOVE to get character goods for movie series they enjoy, so Japan always creates a special line of fandom goods to sell at the theater when the movies are in. They had a lot of special goods for "The Hobbit" and also started reselling stuff they had during the "Lord of the Rings" films when they were here! So nice! :D

Thanks so much for this comment! I feel all warm inside thinking of Lincoln Mall, however simple a place it may be, haha! XD

(This post was edited by banaili on Mar 1 2015, 8:04pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.