Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
are you a Tolkien fan who thanks PJ, or a PJ fan who thanks Tolkien?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2015, 1:32pm

Post #1 of 38 (1686 views)
Shortcut
are you a Tolkien fan who thanks PJ, or a PJ fan who thanks Tolkien? Can't Post

With all this blast about fan edits, I think it all (pretty much) comes to this question.

If you are a Tolkien fan who thanks PJ for his work you may agree that he did it right with LOTR, but no so with the Hobbit

If you are the opposite, a fan of PJ ´s work whoKNOWS the personal vibe of his previous and later projects than maybe you will thank Tolkien for provided PJ such material for him to show his talent.

What comes to mind is: where is the exact zone were both points of view take hands togheter?

I think it is not a unique point, but this occurs to happen more times during LOTR movies than Hobbit ones.

Then it follows another question: WHAT MADE PJ approach to Tolkien so succesfull?

I think it all comes to be a mixture, so extreme opinions I think are daring to much

Because lets not forget we here have two facts:

Tolkien movies have proven succesfull prior to PJ

PJ have proved succesfull (but not as Tolkien) being a director

I think its a very organic fact that fan edit Hobbit movies happen, because nothing is quintesentiall, nor Tolkien, nor PJ.

But its a fact PJ has to thank more to Tolkien than Tolkien to PJ, so well, its clear that this kind of things happen, or at least to make extreme opinions a bit more relaxed

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Feb 26 2015, 1:46pm

Post #2 of 38 (1518 views)
Shortcut
Thanking Tolkien fan first [In reply to] Can't Post

and then grateful for all the PJ films...LOTR and TH

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Feb 26 2015, 1:47pm

Post #3 of 38 (1523 views)
Shortcut
I'm a fan of Pete [In reply to] Can't Post

The only way I'm actually able to spell Tolkien is because of Peter. I fell in love with the world of Middle Earth because of how elaborate and outstanding the movies were (LOTR). If it wasn't for him, I would have never read the books and gained a whole lot more interest.

I never grew up on Tolkien until I watched LOTR in 2001-2003. It was then that I became a Tolkien fan. I was born in 1990, so I don't have this deep respect for Tolkien that others do. I still greatly appreciate his work, but I also greatly appreciate Jackson's work as well.

Edit: Tolkien was more of a genius than Peter, but I was exposed to Peter in a greater way than Tolkien, which is why I have my opinion the way I do.

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

(This post was edited by Misty Mountain Hop on Feb 26 2015, 1:48pm)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2015, 1:48pm

Post #4 of 38 (1518 views)
Shortcut
I became a fan of PJ doing Tolkien, after that I knew other PJ movies and apreciated his own taste; and also in the case of Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2015, 1:50pm

Post #5 of 38 (1525 views)
Shortcut
For me, I don't thank either. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the books and I like the films but I don't feel any impetus to thank the individuals.

I think my role is to enagage with the works an audience member, to consider them and to respond to them - I don't really see that there is a follow obligation for gratitude beyond that.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 26 2015, 1:51pm

Post #6 of 38 (1511 views)
Shortcut
Very much both [In reply to] Can't Post

I have always viewed the LotR and Hobbit books separately, and neither is better than the other as far as I'm concerned – they are just different. I don't compare the two, except very loosely, when it comes to major character changes, or omissions or additions.

As far as enjoyment of the work is concerned, I have to say that PJ's work has provided me with more pleasure than the books ever did, much as I like them. With the films, I feel I have been able to immerse myself in the world of ME far more than I have done when reading the books. I think this may be because many of the films' characters are more fleshed out than they are in Tolkien's books, and the visuals in both the Hobbit and LotR bring the world of ME to life.

Gianna
Rohan

Feb 26 2015, 2:02pm

Post #7 of 38 (1509 views)
Shortcut
I'm a Tolkien fan who thanks PJ. [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some things I don't like about the LOTR films, and lots of things I don't like about the Hobbit ones, but in the end, PJ has spent years of work making these films for us. He deserves credit for that at least.

As to the question, what made PJ's approach to Tolkien so successful? I think it is possibly the fact that he dared to attempt a live-action LOTR film at all. Everyone used to think any movie of LOTR would have to be animation, but PJ ignored that and tried anyways. And he succeeded for the most part! So I think it's (partly) that he accomplished something thought to be impossible, that made it successful.

Also, he seemed to have a lot of love for the book, which is definitely essential to making a successful film out of it.

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 26 2015, 2:05pm

Post #8 of 38 (1503 views)
Shortcut
I enjoy the books and the films.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and I'm glad I'm having the chance to experience all of them.

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 26 2015, 2:12pm

Post #9 of 38 (1495 views)
Shortcut
I'm a fan of Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

be it the books or movies.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 26 2015, 2:20pm

Post #10 of 38 (1487 views)
Shortcut
Ditto [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thankful to Jackson for introducing me to Tolkien.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2015, 2:29pm

Post #11 of 38 (1475 views)
Shortcut
yeah, despite more or less succesfull decissions he has made PJ deserves A LOT of credit [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Mr. Arkenstone (isaac) on Feb 26 2015, 2:30pm)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2015, 2:31pm

Post #12 of 38 (1472 views)
Shortcut
and I love with his capability to see in his mind the whole project done before even started [In reply to] Can't Post

definetly a man with viviosn and thats a true gift

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Feb 26 2015, 2:43pm

Post #13 of 38 (1468 views)
Shortcut
I'm inclined to thank both - [In reply to] Can't Post

- first Tolkien for introducing me to the world of 'the Hobbit who lived in a hole' and then PJ for bringing that world to the big screen. I'd also like to thank all the others involved in this endeavour, the cast, the crew, the artists, everyone.

As much as I admire Tolkien's accomplishments, I think Peter Jackson had the more difficult job, finding the support, the resources and the right people to bring the Professor's vision to life. And he had to fight for that to happen.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Feb 26 2015, 2:44pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 26 2015, 2:51pm

Post #14 of 38 (1469 views)
Shortcut
Not really sure [In reply to] Can't Post

I read the books many years ago, but I can't say that I'm all that devoted to them. In fact, having recently re-read "The Hobbit" I can honestly say I didn't like it much, I felt it was too underdeveloped. And honestly, when I went to see "The Fellowship" I didn't even remember half of the characters! But I am a HUGE fan of the Hobbit/LoTR movies, probably more than I am a PJ fan, because I've seen very few of his other movies. I've seen "King Kong" and, while it was good I still prefer the 1930's version, probably for sentimental reasons. I think part of the reason I love these movies so much is because Peter really built up the whole world of Middle Earth, with lots of layers and attention to detail, and he really nailed the casting. I can't think of a single character who was mis-cast in all six movies, right down to Grimma Wormtongue. Maybe I could have done without Alfrid, but Ryan Gage still played the part well. And a small part is probably the location: New Zealand itself. I thought the best scene ever was Aragorn riding past the mountain range in TTT, well that may be replaced by the Dwarves walking under the waterfall in AUJ. As God is my witness, I swear I will make it to NZ sometime in the next year!

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

smtfhw
Lorien

Feb 26 2015, 3:00pm

Post #15 of 38 (1455 views)
Shortcut
Both... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a fan of the books right from the get-go when our wonderful English teacher read/told the stories to us. I was about 9 or 10 at the time (way back at the end of the 1960s) and I approached the LOTR films with a deal of caution having never quite got over the animated attempt which I hated with a passion...

Let me tell you I waited a long time to venture into the cinema as a result of that. It took the persuasion of a couple of fellow Tolkien-fans whose judgement I trusted to get me to go and take a look for myself.

And that's when I became a fan of PJ.

So that's both for me please :).

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 26 2015, 3:08pm

Post #16 of 38 (1454 views)
Shortcut
Bomby had been baking a movie as the ONLY [In reply to] Can't Post

BREAKFAST for 35 years...Then along came a Kiwi
who FINALLY provided a Glorious Second Breakfast
as a Fully Catered

"BanQuest.".

Now we got
an " Elevensies" of Special Magnificence!

AND BOM IZZ...
not full yet?

But THANKS JRRT &PJ equally
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2015, 3:21pm

Post #17 of 38 (1443 views)
Shortcut
agree on the King Kong thingXD [In reply to] Can't Post

but anyway PJ´s King captured so well the atomposphere of the 30´s or at least as I concieve it

Noria
Gondor

Feb 26 2015, 3:25pm

Post #18 of 38 (1446 views)
Shortcut
Books and movies fan [In reply to] Can't Post

Back in 2001 I was nervous about the books I had loved for decades being made into movies. So I am grateful to PJ for not mucking it up and making LotR movies that I love.

Now I am grateful to PJ for making Hobbit movies that I rather enjoy more than the original book.

But Tolkien is always the source.

Ilmatar
Rohan

Feb 26 2015, 3:43pm

Post #19 of 38 (1434 views)
Shortcut
Both for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I first read LotR at age 12 and fell completely in love with it. It took me into a fantastic world that I could clearly see in my mind's eye. A few years back I had discovered my love for history (continuing to this day), and Middle Earth was depicted in a way that showed how it had rich ancient past before the events in the book took place - the pure epicness, poetry, beauty and even the subtle humor - it all just won my heart. I became attached to the characters, re-read the book every few years and cried a little in the end. Heart A little later I read the Hobbit and liked it too, but was a little disappointed because the story was - naturally - so much simpler and there were less details, less characters, and less wonderful places to explore with them. I introduced the books to my family and got my mother & brother to feel at home in Middle Earth as well.

But I'm happy to also love the movies, and do thank PJ for them. The rich fantastic world, the feeling of it having an ancient history and various cultures, the creatures and the details, beautiful scenery and memorable characters (plus wonderful music) - it's all there. When it comes to the movies, I don't find the Hobbit inferior to LotR at all (both have their own strengths but the Hobbit made a deeper emotional impact on me).

"What made PJ's approach to Tolkien so successful?" I think it's mostly the attention to detail, the combined efforts of talented artists, and great casting - to put it simply Smile. I don't think the movies are "perfect" and there are some things I would like to be done differently, but like some others have said there are more things I like than those I don't, and my life is all the more richer for having these movies in it. I don't really compare the books with the movies and enjoy both for their own merits and as their own experiences. And while I have been a Tolkien fan since I first read LOtR, I don't see myself as a PJ fan exactly, just a fan of his LotR and Hobbit movies (while having seen some others by him as well).

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 26 2015, 4:32pm

Post #20 of 38 (1420 views)
Shortcut
To clarify, I meant [In reply to] Can't Post

I have always viewed the LotR and Hobbit books separately from the films…

More haste, less speed.

In Reply To
I have always viewed the LotR and Hobbit books separately, and neither is better than the other as far as I'm concerned – they are just different. I don't compare the two, except very loosely, when it comes to major character changes, or omissions or additions.

As far as enjoyment of the work is concerned, I have to say that PJ's work has provided me with more pleasure than the books ever did, much as I like them. With the films, I feel I have been able to immerse myself in the world of ME far more than I have done when reading the books. I think this may be because many of the films' characters are more fleshed out than they are in Tolkien's books, and the visuals in both the Hobbit and LotR bring the world of ME to life.

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Feb 26 2015, 7:28pm

Post #21 of 38 (1349 views)
Shortcut
A hobbit fan [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 26 2015, 8:48pm

Post #22 of 38 (1329 views)
Shortcut
I would pretty much copy everything you said. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been a Tolkien fan since 1969, and I wished for a live-action LotR for 30 years before my wish was granted. It wasn't quite what I had longed for, but I was still very glad to see it done. I was less excited about The Hobbit, and I haven't cared for the movies that much, though I do love parts of them, so the idea of a fan edit doesn't offend me at all. It wouldn't hurt the original movies at all, any more than a fan music video using footage from a movie hurts the movie. But I can always just use the "select scene" option on my player to watch the parts I like best, I guess.

And even though I don't love everything about the LotR movies, I do love them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 26 2015, 9:08pm

Post #23 of 38 (1315 views)
Shortcut
When I saw FotR in 2001... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it was a nice way to celebrate my Tolkien Silver Anniversary (25 years since I had read my first Tolkien book, "The Hobbit"). He became then, and still remains, the author of my favorite books, especially LotR which I first read a couple years later (I was only 6 when I read "The Hobbit". LotR was too hard. Cool )

I love all six of Jackson's Middle Earth movies. They are my favorite films.
Heart

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2015, 9:27pm

Post #24 of 38 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Well, i think that Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

is pretty much untouchable as a literary giant, and wrote some of my very favorite books, and i at least like all of his work.

I'm only a fan of Peter Jackson depending on which film we're talking about. He's obviously made some great ones, some of the best i've ever seen. But he also has a penchant for overindulgence, which has produced some questionable films in my view. But i still look forward to seeing whatever he does.

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 26 2015, 9:43pm

Post #25 of 38 (1303 views)
Shortcut
I am a Tolkien fan who enjoyed the films. [In reply to] Can't Post

But who also thinks the films could have been a whole lot better.

Further than that, I can't commit myself.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.