Creative work and editing/adaptations
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Bladerunner
Gondor

Feb 27 2015, 2:24am

Post #76 of 86 (762 views)
Shortcut
D.I.Y. aftermarket customization... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have an issue with fan edits of films.

If you want to tamper with, or modify, a product/content after you have purchased and customize it to your liking (and risk "voiding its warranty") that is your prerogative.

I also don't have an issue with folks discussing proposed changes to a film on a forum like this.

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 27 2015, 3:07am

Post #77 of 86 (741 views)
Shortcut
They're anti-fan hack attacks. /// [In reply to] Can't Post

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2015, 5:53am

Post #78 of 86 (741 views)
Shortcut
you can do adaptations [In reply to] Can't Post

other films (say, another cartoon version)
stage plays
impromptu fan films
art
comic books

It's just, you wouldn't take the original text of the Hobbit and edit it down by cutting out scenes, paragraphs, dialog etc. and call it an adaptation.

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2015, 6:07am

Post #79 of 86 (731 views)
Shortcut
the word you may be looking for is... [In reply to] Can't Post

majestic

TongueHeartHeart

To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 27 2015, 2:23pm

Post #80 of 86 (680 views)
Shortcut
So it's wrong... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but it's not *that* wrong.

Like it's okay to litter if it's just a gum wrapper.

Or it's okay to steal if it's just a company pencil.

Or it's okay for a factory to release Mercury into the atmosphere if it's only just a smidge.

I suppose if one views ethical behavior along a continuum rather than as an either/or proposition I can see your point.

So anyway, back to LOTR:

Why is Gandalf so dead set against using the The One Ring himself even just once?

I mean, just one little time wouldn't hurt, would it?

No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a wonderful town!!!
Mount Doom blew up,
And the Black Tower's down!!
The orcs all fell in a hole in the ground!
No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a heckuva town!!!

-Lord of the Rings: The Musical, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 27 2015, 4:01pm

Post #81 of 86 (665 views)
Shortcut
It is not wrong as you've described. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Suppose I'm okay with the movies and I watch the originals all the time, and they eventually wear out or break so I have to buy new dvds, and so MGM gets money, the Tolkien Estate gets money, and the good Professor smiles in Heaven as he continues to provide for the financial security of his descendants.

But suppose I hate Jackson's versions, make a fan edit, and put away the original versions and only watch the fan-edit. Then when the fan edit wears out or is broken I can pull out the originals and make another fan edit and MGM doesn't get amy money, the Tolkien Estate doesn't get any money, Tolkien's descendants have no choice but to sell all of their children for scientific experiments and so I make the poor Professor cry.

That's why ripping backup dvds is illegal.

(Though technically it is bypassing the CSS encryption code that is illegal.)

No. It is not wrong under the circumstances that you describe. You have legally purchased copies. You are performing an edit for your personal satisfaction and enjoyment. You are not selling or distributing it to others. That is fine.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2015, 4:23pm

Post #82 of 86 (660 views)
Shortcut
Fan edits may be [In reply to] Can't Post

'by the book' illegal, but i would argue that they are of seriously questionable unethicality.

In my opinion, current laws regarding fair use of disc based visual media is in itself unethical, and these laws should be reconsidered, and put more in line with those of audio or print media.

I have serious problems with how copyright laws are handled in this country, almost always in the favor of giant corporations (surprise, surprise). Also, i'm a big supporter of artists rights.

Gianna
Rohan

Feb 27 2015, 5:53pm

Post #83 of 86 (635 views)
Shortcut
No, that's not what I was saying at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sin is sin and wrong is wrong, even if it's just a gum wrapper, or a pencil, or a smidge of mercury. However, that is a different scenario from fan edits. My point is that it's not wrong to edit a film for your own enjoyment. Assuming that the editor legally acquires his copy of the film, it's not going to hurt anyone.

Making a fan edit of The Hobbit is also far different from using the Ring - it's not the same thing at all. The Ring is intrinsically evil; fan edits are not intrinsically wrong. And that's my ultimate opinion on such edits. Of themselves they are not wrong, but they can be wrong depending on the way they are used.

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 27 2015, 6:11pm

Post #84 of 86 (642 views)
Shortcut
You can do those activities [In reply to] Can't Post

only with permission. No one can take original material, change it, then distribute it without permission.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2015, 6:16pm

Post #85 of 86 (628 views)
Shortcut
indeed, with permission of course [In reply to] Can't Post

Bladerunner
Gondor

Feb 27 2015, 11:21pm

Post #86 of 86 (608 views)
Shortcut
Would you consider it not OK to.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...invite a group of friends to watch your DVD's?
Or lending your DVD's to a friend who asked to borrow it instead of telling them to purchase their own copy that they can then wear out appropriately?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.