The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Survey: A study of the Hobbit Trilogy

grimbeorn15
Rivendell

Feb 26 2015, 2:35am

Post #1 of 24 (1923 views)
Shortcut
Survey: A study of the Hobbit Trilogy Can't Post

I am conducting a simple survey on the Hobbit trilogy that focuses on story, characters and each respective film. Please complete and share. The more the better! I will post all results. Thank you!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NW8KWP2

grimbeorn15
Rivendell

Feb 26 2015, 2:54am

Post #2 of 24 (1700 views)
Shortcut
2 pages [In reply to] Can't Post

Please note there are two pages. Thanks!

Dwarewien
Rohan

Feb 26 2015, 3:15am

Post #3 of 24 (1718 views)
Shortcut
Made it clickable for you... [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NW8KWP2

All you have to do to make a link clickable is put url in front and behind the link in brackets like this: [*url][*/url] but don't forget to remove the astericks or else it won't work.

I did the survey. The only thing I didn't like was anything bad happening to my favorite character (Thorin), and I thought Fili's death was lacking in some way, since I didn't feel the emotion I did for the other two (especially Thorin. I cry my eyes out after every viewing of BoFA. I prefer DoS and AUJ to BoFA, but it was still a good movie).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Feb 26 2015, 3:30am

Post #4 of 24 (1688 views)
Shortcut
Done! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was hard to pick a least favorite thing for AUJ, since that's easily my favorite, but I just said the Stone-Giants scene was too long.

I also surprised myself a bit with how critical I was when it came to character resolution, which I do feel was lacking in BOFA.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Feb 26 2015, 3:50am

Post #5 of 24 (1674 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't find one for DoS... [In reply to] Can't Post

since I love everything about that movie. For AUJ and BoFA, it's anything bad happening to Thorin (naturally), as well as Fili and Kili for BoFA. For favorite scenes, I chose the Dol Guldur fight sequence for BoFA, since I love that part; the prologue for AUJ (obviously, since I seem to be on a prologue kick lately, but I could have chose the Riddles in the Dark scene as well, but I love the prologue more) and the forest river scene for DoS. I rated the characters about the same, because although I have a favorite, I don't think any of them were poorly done.Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 26 2015, 4:55am

Post #6 of 24 (1684 views)
Shortcut
Would like to explain my answers [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as production goes, my biggest problem with BOFA is that some of the CGI didn't look nearly as good as it did in previous movies. I wish there had been an opportunity to explain that. It was hard to choose between AUJ and DOS for favorite of the 3, but BOFA would definitely be least favorite. That's not to say I hated it, and there were some great production & visuals, like Smaug torching Laketown, the ruins of Dale, Thorin on the gold floor and that final fight with Azog. But Dain was completely underdeveloped and underused, along with Fili the Forgotten and Dwalin the Disappearing Dwarf. And did any of the other dwarves even get used? No, instead we wasted time with Alfrid, got Legolas doing more ridiculous stunts, and even the Iron Hills dwarves were shown up by elves leaping over them - quite possibly the most annoying scene of them all. Kili's slow-mo death scene was also trite, that sort of thing has been overdone. And WHERE was the funeral scene??? Talk about a missed opportunity! Sorry, I'm ranting again!

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

marary
Lorien

Feb 26 2015, 7:43am

Post #7 of 24 (1646 views)
Shortcut
I agree with almost everything [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, the CGI looked a little too video-game style in BOFA, and that really took me out of the story at times. Some more offenders were Legolas on the falling rocks, the random appearance and disappearance of the were-worms, which left audiences everywhere going "what were those things?" and not in a good way.

I would have liked a little more Dwalin fighting on Ravehnill, but I don't think he was underutilized in this movie. "You are lesser now than you have ever been," is one of my favorite scenes in the entire trilogy, and that's all Dwalin! They could have had him finding Fili's body in the aftermath. That would have been an economic way to give us a bit more Dwalin and make poor Fili, a little less forgotten. And I wished we got to see more of the other company actually in battle after the charge.

It seems like Tauriel got to have old-school just-plain-cool elf fighting style, while Legolas' action was graduated to the grotesque lovechild of 300 and Mario Bros. What happened? And why so much Alfrid! Too many missed opportunities for character development (Fili, the other dwarves) and resolution (the dead Durins, even Tauriel), and it was not for lack of time- just because they wasted so many minutes of Legolas stunts and Alfrid, who ceased to be useful after the lakeshore scene (where it made sense, because he was a foil for Bard to establish his noble leadership). Now I'm ranting too.

I did the survey - boy did I have a lot of close seconds for those answers!

(This post was edited by marary on Feb 26 2015, 7:46am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 26 2015, 9:09am

Post #8 of 24 (1639 views)
Shortcut
Done - almost [In reply to] Can't Post

I found it impossible choosing a single favourite moment from each film; for the ones I ended up naming there were a whole host of others that could equally well have been there, so it seems to me it doesn't mean very much (sorry!). And I don't have a favourite from the three films, I enjoy them all.

It was also a bit frustrating having to vote on character development and resolutions as one item. There were several characters that I think are developed well but needed more resolution.

Still, all good fun and it will be interesting to see the results.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 26 2015, 10:19am

Post #9 of 24 (1618 views)
Shortcut
Done! [In reply to] Can't Post

I look forward to reading the results.

grimbeorn15
Rivendell

Feb 26 2015, 1:14pm

Post #10 of 24 (1594 views)
Shortcut
Awesome. Thanks so much! [In reply to] Can't Post

grimbeorn15
Rivendell

Feb 26 2015, 1:15pm

Post #11 of 24 (1598 views)
Shortcut
Good point. [In reply to] Can't Post

That wasn't my original intention, but I ran out of questions on Survey Monkey...

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 26 2015, 2:01pm

Post #12 of 24 (1588 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm always a bit like that with surveys. The questions always make me want to ask different questions! Wink

Gianna
Rohan

Feb 26 2015, 6:27pm

Post #13 of 24 (1545 views)
Shortcut
Done... [In reply to] Can't Post

Like MyWeeLadGimli, it was hard to pick a least favourite moment from AUJ, which is definitely my favourite of the three. I, however, went with Thorin's confrontation with Azog. It was pretty shoddily done in my opinion - Thorin's epic advance, and then he's immediately sent flying. It's still pretty good though. Smile

I also didn't realize how badly resolved were a couple of character's arcs, till I did this and had to think about it!

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 26 2015, 10:09pm

Post #14 of 24 (1495 views)
Shortcut
Done, but bom objects to the Question? [In reply to] Can't Post

Departure from the Original?
since bom
Knows WHY?
PJ departed from the Original.

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Bladerunner
Gondor

Feb 27 2015, 12:00am

Post #15 of 24 (1452 views)
Shortcut
Done// [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 12:12am

Post #16 of 24 (1454 views)
Shortcut
Nice survey! [In reply to] Can't Post

Done. Was surprised at the range of reactions I had, when pinned down to answer point by point.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2015, 6:43am

Post #17 of 24 (1408 views)
Shortcut
I have to go with ... [In reply to] Can't Post

a lot of that.

Tauriel came off much like most of the Elves I played in D&D all those years ago when I first read LOTR (um, 1978), the way I imagined them fighting...

Legolas (my all time favorite fictional character since 1978) sadly went a little too 300Mario there...

Would rather have seen more of the Dwarves (or Thranduil! or even the Elk) than Alfrid.

I really feel as if we'll see the real film in the extended DVD.

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

moreorless
Gondor

Feb 27 2015, 7:22am

Post #18 of 24 (1404 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it was an either/or situation... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes, the CGI looked a little too video-game style in BOFA, and that really took me out of the story at times. Some more offenders were Legolas on the falling rocks, the random appearance and disappearance of the were-worms, which left audiences everywhere going "what were those things?" and not in a good way.

I felt AUJ was by far the most cartoonish in terms of its FX, not that it was automatically a bad thing as I felt the story itself was more cartoonish at that stage.

In Reply To
I would have liked a little more Dwalin fighting on Ravehnill, but I don't think he was underutilized in this movie. "You are lesser now than you have ever been," is one of my favorite scenes in the entire trilogy, and that's all Dwalin! They could have had him finding Fili's body in the aftermath. That would have been an economic way to give us a bit more Dwalin and make poor Fili, a little less forgotten. And I wished we got to see more of the other company actually in battle after the charge.

Hopefully we'll get a bit more of these things in the EE.

In Reply To
It seems like Tauriel got to have old-school just-plain-cool elf fighting style, while Legolas' action was graduated to the grotesque lovechild of 300 and Mario Bros. What happened? And why so much Alfrid! Too many missed opportunities for character development (Fili, the other dwarves) and resolution (the dead Durins, even Tauriel), and it was not for lack of time- just because they wasted so many minutes of Legolas stunts and Alfrid, who ceased to be useful after the lakeshore scene (where it made sense, because he was a foil for Bard to establish his noble leadership). Now I'm ranting too.

I did the survey - boy did I have a lot of close seconds for those answers!

I don't think many/any of these were an "either/or" situation as I don't think the length of the film(the shortest Jackson Tolkien thus far) was an issue. Rather I think Jackson was looking to focus on the core of the story as much as possible and give a briefer ending after the criticism of ROTK from mainstream audiences. Alfrid makes more of the cut simply because he's in a lot of scenes with Bard IMHO who along with Bilbo, Thorin and Tauriel is the main focus of the film.

grimbeorn15
Rivendell

Feb 27 2015, 9:59pm

Post #19 of 24 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Thanks to all of you have responded so far! [In reply to] Can't Post

grimbeorn15
Rivendell

Feb 27 2015, 10:01pm

Post #20 of 24 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Hoping for better character resolution in the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

Fingers crossed!

Gianna
Rohan

Feb 27 2015, 10:06pm

Post #21 of 24 (1304 views)
Shortcut
Me too, especially for Tauriel // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bofur01
Lorien

Feb 27 2015, 10:27pm

Post #22 of 24 (1297 views)
Shortcut
They'll probably not have saved any Tauriel scenes... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for the EE, as Tauriel is generally preferred by cinema goers to people who buy EE DVDs...

Gianna
Rohan

Feb 27 2015, 10:30pm

Post #23 of 24 (1296 views)
Shortcut
You're probably right... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm still hoping that there'll be something to at least suggest what happens to her. The fact that she simply disappears completely near the end of BOFA and isn't mentioned at all after that, is high on my list of the most annoying things about the movie.

grimbeorn15
Rivendell

Feb 28 2015, 1:43pm

Post #24 of 24 (1250 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.