The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A children's book based on TH movies?

Cirashala
Valinor

Feb 26 2015, 2:07am

Post #1 of 20 (1284 views)
Shortcut
A children's book based on TH movies? Can't Post

I know that many movies, even those based off books, often have books for very young readers (think five years old, beginning reader) as part of their merchandising campaigns. For instance, I have some merchandising young reader books based upon the Narnia films, and my daughter loves them.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was something for TH? My daughter loves the movies almost as much as I do, but she doesn't quite have the attention span yet for me to read The Hobbit to her in it's published form (I rarely get past chapter 1 before she starts getting antsy). It's definitely something I share with her- in fact, at three years old she drew Smaug from the trailers (he looked a bit like an ant, but she got his face position and elongation right, and I wish the picture had survived). And she has been given the TE's of the films once I acquire the EE versions (until then the TE's are mine and mine alone lol Wink). She can even name several of the dwarves, as well as Bilbo (he used to be Bobo lol- AUJ came out when she was two and a half) and Gandalf.

But I would like her to have some books based off of the movie-storybooks- that she can read herself. She's not quite at Tolkien's vocabulary level yet Evil

Does anyone know if Hobbit storybooks based on the movie exist?

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 26 2015, 2:13am

Post #2 of 20 (1139 views)
Shortcut
Pretty much exactly what you asked for as far as I'm aware... [In reply to] Can't Post

Where are you from? Here's the US link - http://www.amazon.com/...rybook/dp/B00CF5QSNQ

There's one for each film. But I think the language may still be a little tricky Unsure

Cirashala
Valinor

Feb 26 2015, 2:19am

Post #3 of 20 (1124 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah the language is still a bit tricky, however it has pictures, whereas TH novel doesn't have very many. Seeing an entire page in it full of words is a bit overwhelming and scary to her at the moment Wink

But if she could see the pictures, and read captions, then I think she'll find a lot more enjoyment out of the book and spend time in it, which is our hope. We're strongly encouraging reading practice and spending time in books, because I really believe strongly in learning to read and love books and learning, especially with quality literature like Tolkien's work (as opposed to what schools believe is quality literature cough**HarryPotter**cough**Twilight**cough Tongue). And I don't think there's a bad age to start Cool

But I do need to make sure she CAN start reading it as well Evil

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 26 2015, 3:03am

Post #4 of 20 (1114 views)
Shortcut
Good luck, I absolutely agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading is such an important skill and essential to learning.

I wish I had read more at a young age. I only read textbooks and Shakespeare, which put me to sleep when I was young - Reading always seemed like a thing for old and boring people, and not something you would do for fun. I left school with terrible grades and could never read more than a few sentences without losing interest.

The Hobbit was the first book I read for entertainment (after loving The Lord of the Rings movies so much) at the age of about 18! Even at that age I struggled with concentration. But since enjoying The Hobbit I spent as much time as I could catching up with all the books that I'd missed out on as a kid.

I now adore Shakespeare, but I also love reading kids' books, I think because I never got to experience them as a kid. I just finished Harry Potter, I know what you mean about its quality, but I think as long as kids are reading SOMETHING then we shouldn't complain too much. Smile

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 26 2015, 7:36am

Post #5 of 20 (1067 views)
Shortcut
CIRA! nice to see YOU here... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's been some time since you have posted...

HERE is a way to get this done.
1. go to Middle-Earth Enterprizes, they used to be Tolkien Enterprizes
out of Berkeley, California.

2. Submit this idea via contact {By doing that?
.. it is Time-Stamped & very much copy-written then}

3. They could steer you in the right direction, if a project like this exists?

4. If, NOT ask permission IF YOU COULD write it?

Bomby & many others have read
Some of your Fine Fan Fiction,
So you could
Submit
Samples...

AND they might offer you the chance!

YOU could be the AUTHOR,
& OR Crowd-Source it with many of the other mothers
that write here?

Tolkien was inspired the the Same way, by wanting
to write for his kids,
YOU now have your inspiration too, your daughter.

WHO knows? if you don't try...because it is a REALLY brilliant idea!

MAYBE They Fly you to NZ with your manuscript &
John Howe or Alan Lee illustrate it?
or better yet?
you could collect artwork that already exists
from here & elsewhere,

BINGO!
You get to be published!

...& buy a Better Cabin in the Woods in wonderful IDAHO!

From your MUCH older Brother
bomby
Heart

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Feb 26 2015, 7:42am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 26 2015, 7:54am

Post #6 of 20 (1072 views)
Shortcut
Bom just checked for you.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Look up "Licensing Contacts"...They would LOVE
to hear from you...

also you know others here who have published
Tolkien-Related books, & THEY also could steer you in the
Right direction, TOO!

Simply Brillant Cira...Simply Wonderful

bom

www.charlie-art.biz

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 26 2015, 8:02am

Post #7 of 20 (1068 views)
Shortcut
Track down The Hobbit popup book. [In reply to] Can't Post

Kids love popup books. I am in awe by how much they are selling for on ebay. I got one (used, really good condition) off ebay this time last year for ~£10. There's also a video of the book here.

I can't remember what the text was like, but the images should sparking your daughters imagination. Granted, it's not a movie storybook but it simplifies the story a lot. Perfect for children.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Feb 26 2015, 8:07am)

lurtz2010
Rohan

Feb 26 2015, 9:46am

Post #8 of 20 (1052 views)
Shortcut
Imagine a fully novelised version for adults [In reply to] Can't Post

The star wars prequels all had novels based on the movies and I thought they were very well done, even the long battles scenes were described in full with more detail than what was actually shown. The hobbit movies in book form would be so epic. If it was that book that came out in 1937 (PJs movies novelised) then it would've blown everyone's mind.

Glassary
Rivendell

Feb 26 2015, 12:45pm

Post #9 of 20 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Try these [In reply to] Can't Post

Cirashala try this possibly, The Hobbit-An Unexpected Journey movie storybook. It's about 40-50 pages with tons of photos.. It condenses the movies down quite nicely and he pictures are great.
They also have one for THDOS available. Guess they are still working on BOFTA edition.
They run between $8-$9 usd.

I won got one in a TORn gift bag from NYCC last year and think this might be what you are looking for. Oh it is paperback also.

Cirashala
Valinor

Feb 26 2015, 7:16pm

Post #10 of 20 (996 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know [In reply to] Can't Post

you had read my fan fiction- thanks for your compliments on my writing Smile

I have been rather sick lately- been coughing up a storm the last three and a half weeks, and now am stuffy as I'll get out Pirate

I'm not sure I could focus well enough to make a concentrated effort at actually publishing a Hobbit storybook for young children at the moment- not on a full scale level. I really don't have the time to focus on it right now- heck, it took me two months to update my latest chapter for my fan fiction, and that was an effort with me being sick!

That does give me an excellent idea though- I might be able to compile a story and some photos, print it off, and have my daughter use it for her own personal enjoyment Smile

If I could meet them, let alone convince them to illustrate a book I've written, I'd probably die of shock lol! But thanks for the idea- I could easily throw something together that will satisfy her, and know that it's within her reading level Smile Thanks!

Cirashala
Valinor

Feb 26 2015, 7:17pm

Post #11 of 20 (985 views)
Shortcut
I will check it out [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 26 2015, 10:32pm

Post #12 of 20 (947 views)
Shortcut
Cira...Bom wants to watch out? for you... [In reply to] Can't Post

SINCE
bom has
BEEN hopeing
you & your small Family succeed for quite sometime...

Bom knows how lonely,&
Wild ..It can be
Way up there in the
Wilderness of Northern Idaho..

For those of you that Don't?

Idaho has many HUGE tracks of Undiscovered Country..
That been set aside by the USA..as PERMANENT Roadless Wilderness..

Maybe...Look up "Idaho' on-Line...

Maybe? that's why, Viggo Mortenson & other Celebrities Recluses HIDE OUT.. up there..?

{Also, Bom's "Goldberry" was from there..}

AND IF bom had the $$ money would move there in a HEART-BEAT
except New Zealand has been Calling bomby HOME? too Long to think of anywhere Else to HIDE?

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Feb 27 2015, 1:44am

Post #13 of 20 (944 views)
Shortcut
There was a "Fully Painted Graphic Novel" version... [In reply to] Can't Post

but it was published in 1989 in three volumes and is out of print, so likely expensive to buy. Adapted by Charles Dixon & David Wenzel for Eclipse Books. I don't know if any libraries carry them.

http://www.amazon.com/...-Dixon/dp/0913035807

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 27 2015, 2:06am

Post #14 of 20 (922 views)
Shortcut
The graphic novel is not out-of-print! [In reply to] Can't Post

Eclipse Comics originally published the comic-book adaptation of The Hobbit in three issues in 1989, adapted by Charles Dixon with Sean Deming and illustrated by David Wenzel. The collected graphic novel was co-published by Eclipse Books and Ballantine. Ballantine has kept the book in print and I have seen it at Barnes and Noble.

Here is the current printing: The Hobbit: An Illustrated Edition of the Fantasy Classic

What IS long out-of-print is the edition of The Hobbit that included artwork from the Rankin-Bass animated movie.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 27 2015, 2:10am)

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Feb 27 2015, 4:37am

Post #15 of 20 (918 views)
Shortcut
Good to know this was not lost to the public... [In reply to] Can't Post

but you do the originals a miss-service by calling them "comic-books adaptation" as they were made with the same stiff covers and higher-quality paper as graphic novels - being geeky enough to have the set and both other graphic novels and comic books to compare them to. Interesting that the $17 for the one book is only $2.15 more than the three originals combined.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 27 2015, 3:10pm

Post #16 of 20 (836 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

They were still comicbooks, even if they were given the dexule, square-bound treatment. That isn't derogatory, I have been purchasing and reading comics since I was seven years old--getting close to fifty years now.

It's a shame that no one seems to have thought to collect the condensed and heavily illustrated version of The Hobbit that was serialized in the U.K.'s Princess magazine in the 1960s(?). Or (better yet?) print the full book including the Princess illustrations.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Feb 27 2015, 4:20pm

Post #17 of 20 (843 views)
Shortcut
Didn't take it as derogatory [In reply to] Can't Post

just leaves me baffled at the definition of graphic novels - since they are marginally more book-like than a "Marvel Graphic Novel" I have from the same era. I didn't begin actively collecting comics until a bit shy of 49 years ago, so you have me there & I admit to being way behind in my reading as The Grey Wanderer's wandering of the last 15 years has messed being regular up. I am though getting close to my 50th anniversary of first reading the Hobbit (summer of '65) - a life changing event as it were.
I am not aware of the Princess magazine serialization...but can't say I was very much interested in anything British in those years beyond Tolkien.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 27 2015, 4:48pm

Post #18 of 20 (822 views)
Shortcut
Comicbooks vs. Graphic Novels [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not as rigid in my definitions than some others, but I could call Eclipse Comics' 3-part adaptation of The Hobbit either a comic-book miniseries or a serialized graphic novel. In full book-form, I would call it a collected graphic novel (like Watchmen, Elektra: Assassin or The Dark Knight Returns). By contrast, Max Allan Collins' The Road to Perdition would be an original graphic novel because it was originally published, complete, in a single volume. I've come across a handful of individuals who will not accept the term 'graphic novel' for any comics story that was originally published in serial form. That is just silly!

For those slim Marvel Graphic Novels of the 1980s (and the similar DC ones), I adopt the European convention of calling them graphic albums.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 27 2015, 4:50pm)

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Feb 27 2015, 5:30pm

Post #19 of 20 (820 views)
Shortcut
As good a system as any [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole naming convention is mucked up anyhow, since what we call comic-books would better be called comic-magazines. But then I am not one for rigid labels in general, so I really don't worry much about such things. So long as we communicate reasonably successfully.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 27 2015, 5:47pm

Post #20 of 20 (811 views)
Shortcut
The Princess Hobbits [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I am not aware of the Princess magazine serialization...but can't say I was very much interested in anything British in those years beyond Tolkien.

Princess magazine ran a somewhat condensed, 15-part serialization of The Hobbit from 10 October 1964 through 16 Janary 1965. Each installment was accompanied by five or six illustrations by artist Ferguson Dewar. Here is an article about the project: The Princess Hobbits.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.