www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 26 2015, 3:15pm

Post #28 of 31 (353 views)
Shortcut
Anor is the Sindarin name for the Sun [In reply to] Can't Post

'The flame of Anor' is not meant to stand for Glamdring, however.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Flame_of_Anor

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 26 2015, 4:17pm

Post #29 of 31 (347 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I agree with our BF about the Flame. [In reply to] Can't Post

Versus being Glamdring, the Flame of Anor is *likely* a philosophical offset to the Balrog. In Letter #144 (discussing book proofs) he describes the Balrogs as: "...were primeval spirits of destroying fire, chief servants of the primeval Dark Power of the First Age."

What is interesting to me is his repeated use of the 'primeval' description, especially if we see the footnote in #131, where he discusses light: "Light is such a primeval symbol in the nature of the Universe, that it can hardly be analysed." So with the similar language I think the import is also similar. Things to do with light are quintessential concepts of good and evil to JRRT, I think.

So the oldest contest here, between ancient and primeval forces of light and its opposite, are what I think he is referring to. And my guess is that what Gandalf/Olorin refers to is something more akin to the Imperishable Flame in the time of creation, which Melkor sought endlessly in the Void but never wielded, to his great chagrin and in the heart of the reason for his discontent. So that comment may be a symbol of that deficiency, that flaw in Melkor and all that served him versus those who serve the Valar and ultimately Iluvatar.

Adding: even though Anor is fallen light, its still light, so I think the syllogism still stands.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Feb 26 2015, 4:25pm)

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Feb 27 2015, 6:44pm

Post #30 of 31 (309 views)
Shortcut
even less than that [In reply to] Can't Post

that length blade, and a falchion would only be about 1.1 or 1.2 kg, a slightly bigger one might stretch to to about 1.35 kg but that would be it. The guard on orcrist is massively thick, about 3-4 times wider than needed or expected so if it was steel the guard alone would weight close to 1kg. I base this on the fact that I have seen pommels much smaller than that guard, yet substantial themselves, that weighed .3 to .4 kg.

tunagirll

Feb 28 2015, 12:23am

Post #31 of 31 (290 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a lovely welcome Heart

Here's a small video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vXMF5aig5I

(This post was edited by tunagirll on Feb 28 2015, 12:34am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.