First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 5 2015, 12:42am

Post #26 of 26 (660 views)
Shortcut
Trying this idea on for size... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...as a matter of fact, I'm glad you've quoted this letter, as I've written something similar in a previous discussion.

I read through that linked discussion and I love this bit you wrote there:
9. Considering all that was said in the last three threads – what could be the reasons for the shift in the point of view from Frodo’s to Sam’s?
Before finishing this thread, I must mention that the shift is incomplete – we still do not fully enter Sam’s heart. Not until ‘Mount Doom’ do we hear of Rosie Cotton.
(Sador, 2008)

We do see much more of Frodo's heart far before we see deeply into Sam's; so far, we see indications of the deep waters that are Sam (like when he stands by wounded Frodo to defend him from Strider; and the Troll song) but the internal complexity is still given to Frodo in Book I and into II. So having first as a reader considered Frodo as the heir, then as more of a scholarly approach seen Sam's rightful place, I think I can grasp the evolution here as you point out during FOTR with Frodo - though being marked with that air of the other dimension, and higher purpose - being seen as the direct connect to Bilbo here; his heir in word and device. Yet oddly different to Bilbo as well; in description, Sam or even Pippin is a bit closer to TH Bilbo than Frodo ever is.

So thanks for that! Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.