Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit: an upcoming fanedit
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Goldeneye
Lorien

Feb 24 2015, 2:22am

Post #51 of 203 (1203 views)
Shortcut
     re: [In reply to]  

Only remove the healing scene?? Oh now that's no fun. I hope you'll reserve judgement until there's a finished version to share. Remember, you can ALWAYS go back to the nice long versions!

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 24 2015, 2:31am

Post #52 of 203 (1190 views)
Shortcut
     Didn't seem that way when I read it and [In reply to]  

I couldn't care less what any "critic" thinks about anything. I don't build my life on other people's opinions.

Besides the only "critic" who really matters is the ticket-buyer. And they've spoken loud and clear at the box office.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Bishop
Gondor

Feb 24 2015, 2:36am

Post #53 of 203 (1200 views)
Shortcut
     I'll give you the secret to separating your edit from the rest [In reply to]  

Don't butcher the audio. Wink

Goldeneye
Lorien

Feb 24 2015, 2:39am

Post #54 of 203 (1199 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Don't butcher the audio. Wink

Ha, I hear you. Pun intended.

I'm working off a 5.1 Bluray rip so it's allowing me a lot more control over audio editing. Plus I have the Extended Scores by Howard Shore to cover over patches a bit more neatly. It's never going to be perfect of course, but it's miles better than some of the other versions I've seen so far. Check my Vimeo page to see some brief clips as examples.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Feb 24 2015, 3:08am)

Faleel
Rohan

Feb 24 2015, 2:47am

Post #55 of 203 (1212 views)
Shortcut
     5.1? [In reply to]  

Wouldn't 7.1 be better?

Just curious.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Feb 24 2015, 2:51am

Post #56 of 203 (1217 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Wouldn't 7.1 be better?

Just curious.

If I recall correctly, Handbrake and MKV (the programs I used to rip the Blurays) don't have 7.1 rip options. Besides, 7.1 wouldn't give me that much more audio versatility that 5.1.

That, and the majority of people who will end up watching this fanedit will probably just get the stereo version anways!

(This post was edited by Altaira on Feb 24 2015, 3:10am)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 24 2015, 3:21am

Post #57 of 203 (1212 views)
Shortcut
     I should clarify that you may not share your fan edit on this site [In reply to]  

You also may not promote your fan edit on this site.

From out Terms of Service:

6. No spamming of the boards. This includes, but is not limited to, repeatedly posting the same or similar content more than one time or in more than one forum, excessive no-text posts, or posts made with such frequency as to disrupt normal operations of the board. Spamming also includes registering for the sole purpose of promoting your website, yourself, your Ebay auction, etc. (exceptions: if you have or find an auction that is directly related to Lord of the Rings collectables, it may be posted on our Gaming and Collecting board).

Over and above our site Terms of Service, altering copyrighted material for your own use is fine, but sharing it in public is skating close to, if not violating, copyright law. Since this is an all-volunteer site, we don't have money to fight off various attorneys, so we err way on the side of caution and don't allow anything posted here that even hints at violations of copyright. Aside from that, in general we just respect the rights of artists to control any alterations of their works that are distributed publicly.

This isn't a condemnation of fan edits. They threaten no one and offer amusement and a challenge to those who do them. I just don't want you, or anyone else, to get the impression that you'll be able to promote your fan edit here now, or when it's done. So, please feel free to discuss what edits you've done, or plan to do, but please don't think you'll be able to share it by posting it, or a link to it, or a link to your website, etc. here.

Thanks

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Goldeneye
Lorien

Feb 24 2015, 3:31am

Post #58 of 203 (1223 views)
Shortcut

Sorry about that. I'll be more cautious with future posts!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 24 2015, 4:46am

Post #59 of 203 (1148 views)
Shortcut
     DITTO..Double "Ditto"// [In reply to]  

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 24 2015, 4:53am

Post #60 of 203 (1164 views)
Shortcut
     BIG YAWN...Zzzzzzzz/// [In reply to]  

www.charlie-art.biz

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Feb 24 2015, 5:12am

Post #61 of 203 (1204 views)
Shortcut
     Having seen several edits of The Hobbit... [In reply to]  

I think no film in the history of cinema serves as a better example of just how drastically improved a movie can become with just a little editing here and there. It's incredible and, without apology, Peter Jackson's weak link (only really rearing it's head in King Kong and to a far lesser extent, ROTK) It frustrates me to no end just how close these movies were to achieving greatness. I will defend those who want to edit movies to their liking until the day I return to dust.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 24 2015, 9:17am

Post #62 of 203 (1164 views)
Shortcut
     Well, for what it's worth.... [In reply to]  

I didn't say 'no-one is interested' or 'it isn't worth the time'. If someone enjoys editing or is interested in learning how to do it then of course it's worth their time - and from the number of threads we have here about fan edits it's obvious that some people are very interested.

I come at this from a very different angle, and that's respect for other people's work. I'm a writer and occasionally a model maker and painter, it's how I earn my living. The artwork used to come first, in more recent years writing has taken over. I put an insane amount of work into the books I write. When you do anything creative, the idea of earning an hourly rate is as alien as it is impossible. While you're in it the work eats you and you give it everything it demands because, in the end, the finished book or piece of artwork that goes out into the world with your name on is you, and you want it to be as perfect as you can make it. And my hope for it is that people will engage with it as it is and try to understand it - as it is.

That's what I'm missing when I read threads about fan edits. A genuine respect for other people's work - in this case for the film as a whole - as it is. I don't mind people criticising my work. I want them to review it - as much as possible, please!. But if someone were to say - "hey look, I've cut put chapter four altogether, put pages 141 - 151 in a different order, moved three of them to the beginning and drawn pictures on the plate section. It's much better now and I'm going to put this out as my version and call it **** " I'd be somewhere between livid and devastated. Books, films, plays, paintings, sculptures are as they are because someone put a lot of effort into making them that way. Recognising that is part of understanding and appreicating them.

There's something else too. I keep looking at that comment of yours "How do I get to see the version I want to see" and wondering.... Could I suggest that the answer is you don't always? The world doesn't dance to your ideas or mine. We all have to get used to things being not the way we want - and appreicating them that way. We get to know other people as they are, not as we might want them to be, and although that can be challenging there's pleasure and enrichment in it too. One of the things I've really enjoyed in seeing Peter Jackson's films - all of them - is catching glimpses of things I haven't thought of before - much like discussing other people's ideas of the books, only in the cinema it happens with pictures. I wouldn't give that up just to get 'the version I want to see' and I think it's rather sad that anyone would.

Has this gone way beyond fan edits? Yes, of course. But it's where I'm coming from on this and always will. Creative work deserves to be respected. Engaging with the artist's ideas is more interesting than imposing your own. If you don't like the artist's ideas, move on. I'm sure you're right that there are well-made fan edits around. If somone enjoys doing it then fair enough, why not. For their own amusement. Experimenting, learning the techniques, playing with different ideas; no harm in that at all. But it will never, can never be original. And whether you like it or you don't, any attempt to share or distribute a fan edit IS illegal. The laws of copyright exist to protect the rights of the original artists and in a world in which people don't even seem to understand that there is a link between the artist and his/her work we need them.

TheHutt
Gondor

Feb 24 2015, 9:46am

Post #63 of 203 (1159 views)
Shortcut
     Basically... [In reply to]  

...I have already stated for several times that I don't really like fanedits. What I dislike most about them, however, is something like this:

My version is called JRR TOLKIEN'S THE HOBBIT

I would strongly advise not to use JRRT's name to label any of these edit jobs in any way. These shoes are way too big to fill.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 24 2015, 10:18am

Post #64 of 203 (1130 views)
Shortcut
     THAT? is the Biggest mistake [In reply to]  

THAT alone! can get someone in a HEAP of trouble...
Thank you HUTT,
{who knows what he speaks of.}

Trust TheHUTT

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 24 2015, 11:10am

Post #65 of 203 (1116 views)
Shortcut
     *mods up* [In reply to]  

Well stated, my dear little mouse!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 24 2015, 11:14am

Post #66 of 203 (1099 views)
Shortcut
     Yes, agree again, dormouse! [In reply to]  

Very clearly, you've said what I don't have time to write. Wink

Thank you for your eloquent comments.Smile

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 24 2015, 11:27am

Post #67 of 203 (1081 views)
Shortcut
     *+*...BINGO...*+* [In reply to]  

dmouse for the WIN!

HeartHeartHeartHeart

www.charlie-art.biz

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 24 2015, 12:01pm

Post #68 of 203 (1101 views)
Shortcut
     Re-Watch "She walks in Starlight" [In reply to]  

Chapter 46 on your DVD

OIN: "I've heard of the Wonders of Elvish Medicine..
THAT... was a PRIVILEGE... to Witness."
to Fili....

{Who is also STUNNED}

SSOoo...who here? is Qualified to understand
Elvish medicine

IF
OIN thought it was
OTHER-WORLDLY

THEN why can't YOU?

NEVER ceases.... to amaze bomby
that people PROJECT, their
21st Century sensibilities?

...on to a Fantasy
that is supposed
to be taking
place...

7,000 years ago?

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Feb 24 2015, 12:05pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2015, 12:10pm

Post #69 of 203 (1083 views)
Shortcut
     Sure, i understand. [In reply to]  

That wasn't the core point but we seemed to be heading into that presentational territory, which I think risks undermining the other points.

Certainly, quite a few mentioned a range of issues in that space - some on bloating, some on length and some on the number of films. I don't know if it was a majority or not - someone would have to count up.

A couple of thoughts that lead me on from that agreement in a different direction, though.

Firstly, I would say that we can see a similar reaction to Tolkien's texts from literary critics - on length and "bloat". Now, we can disagree or agree with such views but, for me, that's as far as it goes. I don't see any logical impetus to attempt to "fix" the books or the films in response to specific viewpoints. They are what they are, in my eyes.

Secondly, there is a bit of a gap in the logic of referring to critics as a prompt for the idea that the films are too long but then ignoring them on what they actually wanted to keep. Instead, we leap from length to faithfulness, in a way which is not supported by the views there is a claim to be responding to.

It is rather like an avid vegatarian taking the comment from a critic that there is too much sauce on their dish as an opportunity to remove the meat.

CathrineB
Rohan

Feb 24 2015, 12:50pm

Post #70 of 203 (1078 views)
Shortcut
     New to this... [In reply to]  

I'm a bit new to this whole fan editing things so at first I thought it meant fans made their own versions of their own materials (stupid I suppose, sorry). But it's basically editing and cutting materials that don't belong to them? And in the process renaming it and sharing seems a bit... too much? It's still PJ's sources, actors, everything really.

Was just wondering if I understood things right. I can certainly understand why people would not enjoy such things, but also understand the wish of making something they'd be more satisfied with. But it's still not their sources.
But anyway yeah sorry. Going back to lurking.

(This post was edited by CathrineB on Feb 24 2015, 12:51pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 24 2015, 1:36pm

Post #71 of 203 (1042 views)
Shortcut
     Yes, that's it...... [In reply to]  

They're not making anything of their own or adding anything of their own. Just editing out the parts of the existing films that they don't like.

Nothing to be sorry for - and feel free to unlurk any time you fancy it!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 24 2015, 1:51pm

Post #72 of 203 (1046 views)
Shortcut
     My two cents [In reply to]  

I have no interest in fan edits, but I have nothing against them either (as long as all stays in accordance with the law). To each his own. Nor do I find fan edits disrespectful per se, only becoming that when accompanied by disrespectful statements (I'm speaking in general and not pointing fingers at anyone here). At the same time, I completely understand why some react painfully to this topic: a creative person myself, I see why the (thought of the) unauthorized use of one's intellectual property by another party is frowned upon by some.

Skaan
Lorien

Feb 24 2015, 2:06pm

Post #73 of 203 (1040 views)
Shortcut
     This [In reply to]  

A more suitable name would be:

Goldeneye's edit of Peter Jackson's adaptation of The Hobbit

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 24 2015, 2:15pm

Post #74 of 203 (1046 views)
Shortcut
     I'm with you 100% [In reply to]  

Perfectly stated.

As I've said before I'm against fan edits 100%. There is an ego involved that is something that grates against me especially when they comes across in a certain way.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2015, 2:18pm

Post #75 of 203 (1018 views)
Shortcut
     Bravo! [In reply to]  

I never could understand how taking someone else's work and messing with it could be called anything like "better". It's not better or original. It's stolen and desecrated. Peter Jackson's films are not the Mona Lisa but what if someone wanted to see her smile? What if Starry Night made them nauseous so they "took out some of those nasty swirls"?

Even if loads of people thought the less swirly version was great, it's still not right. If one wants to create then create. Start from scratch, hire the team, shoot the film and "do it right". If there are that many people out there who seemingly "think the same way" then you could crowdfund the project in no time.

Dormouse is right. Respect the work as is. Fiddle at home if you want, but don't use someone else's work and promote a chopped up version as better. Respect the work.

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.