The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Enough with two-part film fanedits!

NateGate
Rivendell

Feb 23 2015, 9:39pm

Post #1 of 15 (1497 views)
Shortcut
     Enough with two-part film fanedits!  

I can respect someone trying to touch up on Jackson's Hobbit trilogy, fill in gaps, tape over certain scenes, replace CGI with prosthetics, etc. But I am REALLY friggin tired of all these so-called "fans" trying to remake the whole film as they in-vision it, as if they could possibly ever out do a professional director. Improve his work, yes; do better? no...just no...

And the one thing that irks me more than anything about these fan-edits, they all revolve around shortening the trilogy into a 2-part film. Look, there is a lot of things I dislike about PJ's interpretation, but his decision to split the book into 3 films is not one of them. Like seriously, is that the only thing you guys have against the series? The fact that it's a 3 part film? WHO EFFING CARES?! In my opinion, the more Tolkien we get, the better. If you want to nit-pick on PJ's excessive use of CGI or butchered Dol Guldur subplot that's fine, but please, stop making these dumb fan-edits where you think you automatically fixed the storyline because you merged it into two films, you aren't going to be outdoing PJ anytime soon. Enjoy being a legendary director in your own mind, because you aren't in anyone else's.

I don't think PJ is perfect, but he is a thousand leagues above any of people who think they can tell a story better than the creator of the LOTR cinematic universe...really pathetic.... -_-

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Feb 23 2015, 10:00pm)

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 23 2015, 9:44pm

Post #2 of 15 (1080 views)
Shortcut
     The thing is, you don't have to be a professional director to know... [In reply to]  

...that you'd enjoy the film more with the rubbish cut out. Look at any news article ANY of them or any video of The Hobbit and the comments will be full of people wanting a shorter edit of the films. Are they professionals? No. But that doesn't mean they don't know what they like?

If I'm watching a movie that is waaayyy too long and too slow I don't really care if the director is regarded as the best, most experienced, most professional, most accomplished director in the world. All I know is what I like and what apparently so many other people like, which is a decent length, well paced film. The Hobbit trilogy is neither well paced or a decent length, so people want shorter versions. You can't just tell them all their opinions are wrong because they're not professionals. Especially when the alternative opinion is so apparently abundant.

If you don't like it, don't watch it.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Feb 23 2015, 9:48pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 9:46pm

Post #3 of 15 (1050 views)
Shortcut
     PERFECT! [In reply to]  

quote:
" Enjoy being a legendary director in your own mind,
because you aren't in anyone else's. "

Miles of SMILES over that one!

Never put more Perfectly.

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 23 2015, 9:48pm

Post #4 of 15 (1057 views)
Shortcut
     Thank you for the rant [In reply to]  

If others want to engage in such vanity projects and brag about them in private, that's their business. However, I don't want to hear about it and won't bother watching their pathetic efforts. I also strongly disagree that these individuals should be using illegally obtained material to engage in such efforts.

I would love to see them even attempt to direct a film themselves, from scratch, rather than chop about someone else's creative work, which any fool can do.Crazy

Bofur01
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 9:50pm

Post #5 of 15 (1022 views)
Shortcut
     Don't impose your views on others... [In reply to]  

And be tolerant! I love the films, but generalised remarks aren't helping anyone here...

Goldeneye
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 9:56pm

Post #6 of 15 (995 views)
Shortcut
     re: [In reply to]  

From my own perspective as someone who's making a two-part fanedit, I have to disagree with you. Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro originally planned to make the Hobbit a 2-film saga, and only after del Toro dropped out did he decide to stretch the small Hobbit book into three long films. So part of the goal of my fanedit, in addition to making it closer to the book, is bringing it closer to PJ and del Toro's original vision for the films.

Although my version will actually be ONE 4-hour film, I'm splitting it with an Intermission so you can watch it in two-hour chunks if you like.

Also, one last thing...Peter Jackson is not the creator of the LOTR cinematic universe. Ralph Bakshi beat him to it by over 20 years!

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 23 2015, 9:58pm

Post #7 of 15 (1005 views)
Shortcut
     "Vanity projects" ? [In reply to]  

I don't understand that phrase at all. No-one is doing this as a form of vanity, a lot of the edits are anonymously distributed.

No-one's trying to make themselves look BETTER than PJ, they just want to put together a film that gives an idea to what The Hobbit could have been like if PJ had read the book. Yes the edits are often amateurish and jarring and sometimes don't make sense. But aside from that they give an interesting indicator as to what the pacing could have been like without the over-indulgence and audience pandering.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2015, 10:03pm

Post #8 of 15 (999 views)
Shortcut
     Name-calling has been removed from this thread. [In reply to]  

Everyone, please remember our Terms of Service do not allow name-calling or personal attacks. This thread will be edited or removed entirely if people can't keep within the TOS.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Feb 23 2015, 10:03pm)

Merovech
Bree

Feb 23 2015, 10:05pm

Post #9 of 15 (972 views)
Shortcut
     People have been doing film edits for years. [In reply to]  

For them it's a hobby to see what they can do with existing material to suit their own idea of what a film could be.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Feb 23 2015, 10:21pm)

Faleel
Rohan

Feb 23 2015, 10:06pm

Post #10 of 15 (975 views)
Shortcut
     So [In reply to]  

In short, if you don't make money for what you do to the film. what you have done is worthless etc.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 10:10pm

Post #11 of 15 (973 views)
Shortcut
     *gets out popcorn* [In reply to]  

Now let the drama unfold! Laugh

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2015, 10:12pm

Post #12 of 15 (961 views)
Shortcut
     well you could say PJ is pretending and is sufering from vanity aswell [In reply to]  

Becasue if you are a fan of Tolkien then you could see PJ as someone that is steeping into Tolkien´s works with a very good nose to cut some parts and make them watchable into a movie

Remember he sais in the extras of LOTR that many times, even when the movie was 3 part, they wanted to change some things but that every time they had to go back to Tolkien because he knew what he was doing

Not in the case of the hobbit where he could have shown again his good nose to make well padded films, but no here he let himself go, and if you are a Tolkien fan then I think you are in the very right to complain, not to say that Im not surprised of the exsistence of this fan edits, at all

OR

If you are a PJ fan then you then can blame this Tolkien fans for changing PJ´S decisions to make the hobbit adaptation because as a PJ fan you are very aware of his talent beyond his Tolkien related movies

I think many people are mixing this, and think they are PJ experts only having watched LOTR or TH

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

(This post was edited by Mr. Arkenstone (isaac) on Feb 23 2015, 10:17pm)

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 23 2015, 10:13pm

Post #13 of 15 (953 views)
Shortcut
     By the way, I don't want to come across as rude... [In reply to]  

This subject creates some strong responses. And I like your posts generally, but I definitely disagree with you on this one matter. Sorry.

Just don't want you to lump me into the category of some of the ruder posts just because I share their opinions. I respect your opinion but am confused by it. Smile

TheHutt
Gondor

Feb 23 2015, 10:44pm

Post #14 of 15 (955 views)
Shortcut
     Couldn't agree more... [In reply to]  

...though I also would include one-film and three-film fanedits as well. Nobody wants to see them except the faneditor.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2015, 10:45pm

Post #15 of 15 (1022 views)
Shortcut
     Locking this thread. [In reply to]  

For, I hope, obvious reasons.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.