Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit: an upcoming fanedit
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Goldeneye
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 7:37pm

Post #1 of 203 (3065 views)
Shortcut
     JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit: an upcoming fanedit  

Ok, so I know everyone and their mom is working on a Hobbit fanedit. I've been quietly working on my own version since AUJ came out on Bluray back in 2013, and figured it would be about time to start pushing this out online. My version is called JRR TOLKIEN'S THE HOBBIT and is aiming to be as faithful to the book as possible, without creating plotholes and continuity issues in the film itself. I'm aiming for ONE four-hour movie, split by an Intermission exactly where Jackson and Del Toro originally intended to split the Hobbit when it was a two-parter.
Unlike the early Hobbit fanedits that are already out, I'm working with the highest-quality source media available: HD 1080p Bluray with 5.1 audio. I'm waiting for the March 24 Bluray release of Battle of Five Armies, after which I will have a "mostly finished" version to share. I say mostly finished because I'm holding out for the inevitable EE which will be released later in the year. So, early April for the "mostly finished" version and late November for the totally finished version :)

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Feb 23 2015, 9:56pm)

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 23 2015, 7:49pm

Post #2 of 203 (2124 views)
Shortcut
     LEAVE HERE AND NEVER RETURN, BLASPHEMER! [In reply to]  

Just kidding, Sorry. For some reason the people on this site have a real grudge against this stuff. Even though every single article on the Hobbit that exists on the internet has a comment section full of people expressing how much they want a fan edit, apparently it's pointless. Who knew so many could be so wrong.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Feb 23 2015, 7:49pm)

Goldeneye
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 7:59pm

Post #3 of 203 (2042 views)
Shortcut
     re: [In reply to]  

Ha, well thanks for the heads up. As a fan of the books and Jackson's LOTR trilogy, I was disappointed in how the Hobbit films turned out (like many others). Luckily, buried amongst Jackson's overlong trilogy is a very good adaptation of Tolkien's book, and that's the kind of fanedit I'm trying to make.

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 23 2015, 8:22pm

Post #4 of 203 (1997 views)
Shortcut
     Well, I look forward to it at least. [In reply to]  

I agree, there's a lot that PJ did right, enough for one or two movies, and I think editing out the unnecessary filler is a great idea. I want to be able to sit down and watch The Hobbit without feeling like delving into some deep, bloated epic. The book was a light read and the movie should be easy watching. Leave the epic scope for LotR.

If the edit is well made, I really look forward to it. Smile Good luck.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 9:04pm

Post #5 of 203 (1948 views)
Shortcut

Once most of the fat has been trimmed (so to speak), it really is amazing how close to the book these films are. Obviously I haven't started editing the third movie yet since there is no legally obtainable copy yet, but that film will be the toughest of the three to work on. Lots of intercutting and complicated action scenes, not to mention the shoehorning of certain elves and Dickensian cowards into situations they have no right to be in.

Merovech
Bree

Feb 23 2015, 9:18pm

Post #6 of 203 (1935 views)
Shortcut
     I look forward to this [In reply to]  

The clips on your website are great! The OTT Smaug chase scene works so much better your way, with the gold starting to melt and cascade much sooner. Genius.

Something I've been wondering... is it feasible to adjust some of the color grading in AUJ? The orange/teal color is very obvious and when connecting to DoS (where the color grading is better, I feel) it's a little jarring.

(This post was edited by Merovech on Feb 23 2015, 9:30pm)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2015, 9:24pm

Post #7 of 203 (1932 views)
Shortcut
     Dude stick to the book be brave it can be done in three hours movie [In reply to]  

quit all the bard stuff , he finds them on the shore and then takes it to the master as if they have been captured, it could work

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

Goldeneye
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 9:28pm

Post #8 of 203 (1900 views)
Shortcut

Yes! I am most definitely re-color grading the Hobbit trilogy to make it look closer to the LOTR trilogy. Like you said, the palette for the Hobbit films is a vibrant orange/teal, and comes off as unrealistic. I'm desaturating the colors, washing the shadows out a bit, and bringing the oranges down. It helps tremendously, and even makes the CGI elements blend in a bit more in my opinion.

I'll try to get some before and after images up when I can.

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 23 2015, 9:29pm

Post #9 of 203 (1940 views)
Shortcut
     And the barrel escape... [In reply to]  

Just cut from the dwarves going down that first little waterfall to Legolas looking on and no orcs. Much closer to the book.

Merovech
Bree

Feb 23 2015, 9:30pm

Post #10 of 203 (1884 views)
Shortcut
     Fantastic! [In reply to]  

Merovech
Bree

Feb 23 2015, 9:34pm

Post #11 of 203 (1911 views)
Shortcut
     I must admit [In reply to]  

That is a pretty good idea.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2015, 9:42pm

Post #12 of 203 (1899 views)
Shortcut
     sorry but I do not consider it a definitive one [In reply to]  

I mean the job you are done is excellent in all but one thing, the cuts you have chosen are not Tolkien acurate and can be done a lot more accurate

Dont fear about plot holes or whatever, if you stick to the book is a problem of the book itself, but it can be done as I said more accurate

I hope you choosed Beorn from the EE

Good try and good luck with copyright issues

The cover is superb :)

Goldeneye
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 9:42pm

Post #13 of 203 (1895 views)
Shortcut
     bard [In reply to]  

I think that would be a disservice to Bard's character. He's an honorable guy and to have him turn the dwarves in right after they pay him for safe passage would make him look like a jerk in the film. I've already cut a good chunk of Laketown out, especially stuff dealing with politics and Alfrid. Besides, Bard was a character who honestly needed a bit more fleshing out in the book.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 9:46pm

Post #14 of 203 (1884 views)
Shortcut

Plot holes and continuity issues are things I'm trying to avoid, so I've made edit decisions that may not be "book faithful" but they keep the film's narrative intact.

I want this version to be faithful to the book and still make sense to someone who maybe hasn't seen the films before, or read the book even :)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2015, 9:49pm

Post #15 of 203 (1880 views)
Shortcut
     no no I mean he appears and point them with the arrow and warns them thats it [In reply to]  

then cut to the scene when they enter the square in laketown to be presented to the master. No trading with bard for the trip trhoug the lake an anything. He appears as a enemy or a guard, it is not shown how they go to laketown but there is plenty of wide shots of the town later. Then Bard discusses with them and he appears to be a right man after the violent encounter in the banks. Hhe shines more in BOTFA, and nothing about his family at all, he kills Smaug with that one last regular arrow he has on the tower, all you have to do is change from the moment he fires is last regular arrow and put the shot of the black arrow flying to Smaug, perspective allows that the change is not noticeable

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2015, 9:50pm

Post #16 of 203 (1879 views)
Shortcut
     oh yes, absolutely [In reply to]  

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 23 2015, 9:56pm

Post #17 of 203 (1903 views)
Shortcut
     I'll set you a challenge [In reply to]  

Why not aim for one half an hour film? I'm sure that will satisfy some.

Seriously, though, why do people post their cuts of other's creative work (of course with no original content that might be beneficial added) for all to see? If they want to do it for their own private consumption, that's fine, but why broadcast their pathetic 'efforts' to all and sundry? Crazy

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 23 2015, 9:58pm

Post #18 of 203 (1917 views)
Shortcut
     Goldeneye, [In reply to]  

I've had to edit your post to remove links to your website as it's illegal in the States (where this website is based) to provide edited copies of copyrighted work. (You can do your own edits, but it's when you offer them to others to view that the line is crossed.)

I've left the rest of your post as discussing fan-edits here on TORN is absolutely fine, but please don't link to your edited work.

Thanks.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 23 2015, 10:05pm

Post #19 of 203 (1859 views)
Shortcut
     Glad you decided to keep the thread... [In reply to]  

It means we can have a discussion on some edit suggestions. I thought you'd delete it entirely so was worried about contributing.

Thanks Smile

Goldeneye
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 10:06pm

Post #20 of 203 (1881 views)
Shortcut

I sense sarcasm.

Seriously though, I'm not looking to "replace" Peter Jackson's version of these films. They will exist forever and no one can take that away from you or anyone else who would like to enjoy them. In my opinion, they were somewhat disappointing for all the reasons that many others have discussed. That's why I'm sharing this online...there is a measurable interest in fanedits for The Hobbit and I'm just throwing my project ideas out there.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 10:11pm

Post #21 of 203 (1857 views)
Shortcut
     Hi ataahua... [In reply to]  

Thanks for keeping the thread intact. To be fair however, I do NOT have a finished copy on my website or anywhere else online. In fact I haven't even exported a finished version off my computer yet since I'm waiting for BOTFA to be released. I've followed the guidelines posted by FanEdit.org, in that I own the ripped materials myself and am not using any illegally obtained material for editing (unlike some of the earlier Hobbit faneditors).

Hopefully you reconsider the link removal, thanks.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2015, 10:16pm

Post #22 of 203 (1825 views)
Shortcut
     good one on not delete the thread [In reply to]  

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 23 2015, 10:30pm

Post #23 of 203 (1833 views)
Shortcut
     I always wondered how I'd handle Thrain in a fan edit.... [In reply to]  

I suppose you've removed him and the battle of Azanulbizar entirely...

I think I would try to edit Thrain in during the Bree meeting (I think a two film edit with the Bree meeting as the intro for film 2) Gandalf talks about Thrain here so instead of cutting to the battle I'd cut to Gandalf finding Thrain in Dol Guldur and Thrain dying (but don't show the Sauron reveal). I'd probably keep the battle where it is in film 1 and just say Azog died there. Of course, Thorin's fight with Azog later wouldn't make much sense Unsure hmm

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Feb 23 2015, 10:33pm)

TheHutt
Gondor

Feb 23 2015, 10:43pm

Post #24 of 203 (1835 views)
Shortcut
     Fan edit are really unnecessary... [In reply to]  

...and have no value whatsoever.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 23 2015, 10:46pm

Post #25 of 203 (1809 views)
Shortcut
     Fan booklets on the other hand... [In reply to]  

No offense, I love your booklets. But isn't it kind of similar? It's just fun to see what an alternative could look like. No-body is making them expecting them to get wide cinema release as "better than PJ's version". It's just an interesting experiment.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.