Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
It's official Oscar doesn't deem Sir Peter's great opus worthy of any awards!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

elf_wannabee
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 4:07am

Post #1 of 53 (2558 views)
Shortcut
It's official Oscar doesn't deem Sir Peter's great opus worthy of any awards! Can't Post

AMPAS missed a chance to make three great films worthy of the the phrase "Academy Award" winners! Too bad so sad for them. Time will prove them wrong!

Istaris'staffs
Rivendell

Feb 23 2015, 5:55am

Post #2 of 53 (1801 views)
Shortcut
Great opus? Lord have mercy [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree TH BOTFA should have gotten some nominations, maybe a win in a technical category. But to call TH movies "Sir Peter's great opus"... Oh my. Remember The Lord of the Rings? I'd even take his King Kong over 2/3 of the Hobbit movies...

"Are you mad? You'll never out run them, those are Gundabad warns!"
"And these are RHOSGOBEL rabbits! I'd like to see them try."

Joe20
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 6:05am

Post #3 of 53 (1762 views)
Shortcut
Your kidding yourself [In reply to] Can't Post

if you think BOTFA was worth of any of the awards technical or otherwise.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2015, 6:17am

Post #4 of 53 (1737 views)
Shortcut
It has no bearing... [In reply to] Can't Post

...on personal enjoyment of the films. Look forward to the Blu-ray/DVD release and stop placing such importance on little gold statuettes.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 8:13am

Post #5 of 53 (1665 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it's a question of 'worthiness'..... [In reply to] Can't Post

...more one of numbers and Hollywood politics. Every years there are lots of films worthy of awards and not many awards to go round. Return of the King achieved a record in (I think) 2004, winning every one of its 11 nominations. So far as I know that record still stands. Where do you go after that? I think the perception is that Peter Jackson has been given his recognition, he's achieved his Oscars, and The Hobbit is a part of the same film series. Been there, done that, had the Oscars for it.

There have been links on here to articles by experts in the film business who've said that The Hobbit deserved nominations at least, particularly in the technical categories. They respect the films even if a few folk on here don't.

Oscars or no Oscars, the films are still what they are - don't let it bother you, sit back and enjoy them!

squiggle
Rivendell

Feb 23 2015, 12:44pm

Post #6 of 53 (1550 views)
Shortcut
It may be the absence of Azog's White Warg that threw them [In reply to] Can't Post

& perhaps i have not been alone in wondering what the heck happended to that striking and trusty white overgrown Dog-Wolf which was so cinematic & Knarly when on screen? Pirate

Secondary to that, it's the nature of the Oscars to be quite fickle and capricious, it's part of their fun & achievement. Smile

Jeffrodo
Bree

Feb 23 2015, 12:50pm

Post #7 of 53 (1537 views)
Shortcut
Oscars are all about image [In reply to] Can't Post

The Academy recognizes films that they deem cutting edge, newsworthy, unique. ROTK won, I think, because beyond being a magnificent film it was an oddity to give Oscars to a fantasy film. ROTK broke that barrier. Recently the Academy is about image...what the awards say about the Academy members. They want to represent different walks of life, issues that are important of the time, etc. Birdman was a weird movie. I liked it and respect it for what it is...but in my lifetime I know I'll watch The Hobbit films many many more times than I'd ever watch Birdman again. I think the brouhaha over turning Hobbit into 3 films also branded it a cash grab. I disagree, but I'm sure that took it off the Academy members' radar. They don't usually go for big franchise type pictures. ROTK was also so well reviewed, it almost had to win or the Academy would've disregarded the public zeitgeist of the time.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Feb 23 2015, 12:59pm

Post #8 of 53 (1493 views)
Shortcut
I liked the white warg, too [In reply to] Can't Post

She's kind of like an anti-Shadowfax, queen of all wargs, etc. - I hope she's not in some warg shelter somewhere waiting to be adopted.

And if only PJ had had the sense to hire Meryl Streep to do the mocap for the white warg, they would have been guaranteed at least one acting nomination. Wink Sly Smile

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 23 2015, 1:10pm

Post #9 of 53 (1524 views)
Shortcut
I'm angrier about best animation... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not saying Big Hero 6 didn't deserve to win, but the attitude of the voters is just frustrating. Many hadn't seen all the films (or ANY of them) and just voted for what they think their kids liked.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/...nimation-109456.html

Imagine if they had that attitude to the other categories! They just treat best animated feature as "best kids movie" Mad

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Feb 23 2015, 1:10pm)

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 23 2015, 1:11pm

Post #10 of 53 (1464 views)
Shortcut
That and the talking purse // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 1:25pm

Post #11 of 53 (1481 views)
Shortcut
Bomzzz View iz [In reply to] Can't Post

That in many categories
TH trilogy was a "Near Miss..."
the next in line, but didn't make the CUT-off.

Just outside the final numbers.

AND personally couldn't really care anymore,
since the SWEEP
in 2004.

If they were publish a list of the top 10 in many categories
you would find The Hobbit over
the past 3 years there.

Industry in-siders KNOW "Wellywood" exists
which is an encouraging thought,
& wasn't there
before PJ.

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 2:11pm

Post #12 of 53 (1506 views)
Shortcut
I have seen the movie 121 times now [In reply to] Can't Post

I have seen battle of 5 armies 121 times now
and those who think it should NOT get an oscar are sooo wrong
it is the best movie ever made.

wht AUJ and DOS it is the best series ever made
Oscars have made themselfves insnane

(This post was edited by mirkwoodwanderer on Feb 23 2015, 2:12pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 23 2015, 2:19pm

Post #13 of 53 (1466 views)
Shortcut
How did you manage that? [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that the Hobbit films, especially films one and two, are brilliant. I would definitely have given them awards, but then I'm not part of the celebrity circus that is the oscars. I would certainly not see any of the films that won awards more than once, whereas I'll see the Hobbit (and LotR) many more times than I already have.

In Reply To
I have seen battle of 5 armies 121 times now
and those who think it should NOT get an oscar are sooo wrong
it is the best movie ever made.

wht AUJ and DOS it is the best series ever made
Oscars have made themselfves insnane

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2015, 4:10pm

Post #14 of 53 (1411 views)
Shortcut
Well, that doesn't seem unreasonable to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed the films but I can't think for which categories they merit being named as the best of the year (the main categories at least - I'm too inexpert to comment on the tecnical ones).

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 23 2015, 4:18pm

Post #15 of 53 (1441 views)
Shortcut
TH:BotFA did receive a nomination! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I agree TH BOTFA should have gotten some nominations, maybe a win in a technical category. But to call TH movies "Sir Peter's great opus"... Oh my. Remember The Lord of the Rings? I'd even take his King Kong over 2/3 of the Hobbit movies...

Nominated in Achievement in sound editing. Winner: American Sniper.

2015 AMPAS Scientific and Technical Awards:
Technical Achievement Award (Academy Certificate): "To Marco Revelant for the original concepts and artistic vision, and to Alasdair Coull and Shane Cooper for the original architectural and engineering design, of the Barbershop hair grooming system at Weta Digital."

Yes, I do agree that TH:BotFA deserved more nominations in the technical and effects categories and for Best Song.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 23 2015, 4:22pm

Post #16 of 53 (1432 views)
Shortcut
You are wrong. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Your kidding yourself if you think BOTFA was worth of any of the awards technical or otherwise.

I can think of several awards that TH:BotFA could have been nominated for. Certainly "The Last Goodby" was at least as worthy of recognition as "Everything is Awesome!"

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 4:35pm

Post #17 of 53 (1415 views)
Shortcut
Does it really matter? [In reply to] Can't Post

I love all six films and might even catch up to the 121views guy. Awards are nice but as a Capitalist I know that these films made oodles of money and therefore we'll quite likely see more in the genre. I think that is good.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

(This post was edited by Kirly on Feb 23 2015, 4:36pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 5:07pm

Post #18 of 53 (1378 views)
Shortcut
"The WORLD has Changed" [In reply to] Can't Post

You can
See it on
Social Marketing sites, like
FB & Linkdin, Twitter, etc.

THE Experience of these New types of "Delivery of Media"
has Changed to Instant Internet access...

BUT, One Thing that PJ is trying to do,
is KEEP Cinemas from losing this War?

Talking to my mother the other day..
IT dawned on bomby...
EVEN if there is an New Media delivery system
becomes The NEXT NEW thing?

The many "old media" STILL has a demand.

Can you imagine a time when COLOR TV?
WAS the NEW Media? {Bomby can}
Did it replace Radio, Newspapers, magazines?
NOT!

PJ's Crusade to save Cinema
is one of the Great things about PJ!

His Group has been setting a Cutting Edge Standard
for the 21st Century...Did you notice?

By the Way? James Cameron has purchased some very
LARGE tracks of Land on the North Island & plans to stay there
Indefinitely

SSOoo. we Now have TWO HEAVY HITTERs there.

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 23 2015, 5:16pm

Post #19 of 53 (1358 views)
Shortcut
121 times? It premiered 84 days ago... [In reply to] Can't Post

So you've seen it 1.5 times every day since the premier?

You know there are lots of other movies to watch besides this one?

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 23 2015, 5:25pm

Post #20 of 53 (1351 views)
Shortcut
Agreed 100% [In reply to] Can't Post

Would I have liked to see it win one or two? Sure, I would have. I still love the films. So its all good.

haarp
Rivendell

Feb 23 2015, 5:36pm

Post #21 of 53 (1346 views)
Shortcut
7 [In reply to] Can't Post

There is nothing oscar worthy in The Hobbit trilogy. It's full of clichés, way too much CGI which makes it look like a computer game, bloated in parts. Some real questionable decisions by PJ.

pettytyrant101
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 5:49pm

Post #22 of 53 (1351 views)
Shortcut
In my view [In reply to] Can't Post

the sort of films PJ now makes, like TH- full of technical gimmicks like higher frame rates, filled with cgi and spectacle over substance, 3D- all the things cinema is desperately throwing out there to try to make cinema an event to win the war against falling numbers, is in fact making the situation worse.
Its why I believe the quality writers of drama in the last decade have stopped writing for major studous and can now be found writing for television.
If you are a writer interested in having a message, some meaning to your piece, complex characters, the slow reveal of story and character - the modern tent pole blockbuster format is instant death.

Even if you compare blockbusters of the late 70's and into the 80's the substance is far greater - Jaws is not a fast paced film for example, its largely a character piece. Even Star Wars with all its effect wizardly of the day spends a lot of time setting the scene, setting up the characters and letting the story unfold. There are lengthy dialogue scenes in it. Same is true of Alien, or Blade Runner, Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
Its almost impossible to conceive of these films being made today with the same amount of time being given over to character and setting rather than cgi and explosions. The modern tent pole blockbuster doesn't allow for it in the format, which is gimmick and spectacle led and it is killing cinema blockbusters as a format to be taken seriously. And PJ is one of its cheerleaders.

"A lot of our heroes depress me. But when they made this particular hero they didn't give him a gun, they gave him a screwdriver so he could fix things. They didn't give him a tank, or a warship, or an x-wing fighter, they gave him a call box from which you can call for help. And they didn't give him a superpower, or pointy ears or a heat ray, they gave him an extra heart. And that's an extraordinary thing.
There will never come a time when we don't need a hero like the Doctor."- Steven Moffat

(This post was edited by pettytyrant101 on Feb 23 2015, 5:49pm)

Skaan
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 6:16pm

Post #23 of 53 (1358 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to agree with others that i don't think it really deserved any Oscar wins. I loved the movie myself (and love the previous 2 movies aswell), but for the most part it wasn't really an award-winning movie or trilogy in my opinion. It honestly should've gotten some more nominations, though.

What i don't understand, is why it didn't even get nominated for best score and best original song. I get that they tend to award those that bring something new to the table, and the music from TH was probably too similar to LOTR's music. But not even a nomination? I'm under the impression that most of them didn't even properly listen to the music and instead just thought "It's from the Hobbit movies, so it's probably mediocre anyway".

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 23 2015, 6:27pm

Post #24 of 53 (1359 views)
Shortcut
I read an article recently... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that I can't, for the life of me, find. The gist of it was: the box office for most of the Oscar noms for best picture (I think this didn't include Sniper) combined was lower than movies like TH:BOTFA.

I can't find the article I read but this is saying pretty much the same thing:

The Academy Still Isn't Recognizing Movies People Care About, According To Math at CinemaBlend.

The thing to remember is, the Academy Awards are presented by The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) which is essentially a trade/professional organization. The members and/or the governing body of that organization sets the rules for nominations and votes on those nominations.

They aren't elected officials and they don't have to represent the public at large. (There are awards that purport *to* represent the public at large.)

So they get to nominate and award whoever they want with whatever criteria they want. We can comment and criticize but we're the outsiders in this matter.

I read about the AAs. I watch on and off. I am interested. And it was fun to have ROTK win all those awards, one after another. But, overall, I don't give them all that much credit for anything other than a glam evening with lots of promotion for movies, gowns, and jewelry.

There are many professions that matter in this world and pretty much none of them get the amount of attention that the entertainment industry gets. Why? Because the entertainment industry owns the media by which it will get attention. They are promoting themselves. They have no interest in promoting the best doctors, teachers, humanitarians, scientists, etc.

And they have no interest in polling us (by using, perhaps, box office revenue) to determine what is 'the best' of any year.

That said, there isn't anything I'd nominate The Hobbit for. I don't think costuming rose to the level of the LOTR movies. I don't think the CG was all that good (esp. compared to other movies released in the last few years). I wasn't even wowed with TH score (and I was invested in being wowed).

of course, everyone's mileage varies and people will disagree with that. But I think fussing over The Hobbit and the Oscars is kind of a waste of energy. Enjoy it if you do and leave the elite of the entertainment field to amuse themselves.

:-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Feb 23 2015, 6:28pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 23 2015, 6:36pm

Post #25 of 53 (1302 views)
Shortcut
I wondered about this... [In reply to] Can't Post

... not so much because I thought it should be nominated but I wondered at what criteria this years voters used.

I had to go look at what was nominated. I did catch "Everything Was Awesome" last night so I figured that was.

Glory was nominated which I get.

The other three songs were for movies I didn't know a thing about.

"Grateful" from BEYOND THE LIGHTS
"I'm Not Gonna Miss You" from GLEN CAMPBELL...I'LL BE ME
"Lost Stars" from BEGIN AGAIN

I know of Glen Campbell's situation so I'm at least familiar with that.

But I had never even heard of those other two movies.

It's really kind of funny ... approaching 'a joke' in way.

Now, if I listened to those songs perhaps I'd be convinced they were the best.

But I don't think The Last Goodbye had any chance at all. It wasn't pop. It wasn't 'epic' in any way. It was a very quiet goodbye that was clearly meant for the fans.

They would have had to play a whole different game in their choice of tunes, lyrics, and performer to get the attention of the Academy Award.

Know this... (at least in my opinion).

The filmmakers gave up - knowingly, I'm sure - any hope of an Oscar nom for that song to sing a song to us.

They valued the fans more than they valued an award in this case. I'm sure of it.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.