The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
possible remake
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2015, 12:12pm

Post #26 of 38 (363 views)
Shortcut
Well, no real idea is better than no idea - I must be improving. [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps the mists will clear at some point.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2015, 12:20pm

Post #27 of 38 (359 views)
Shortcut
Not pointless, but of limited use. [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems to me.

If I suggested that the Fifty Shades film would be better as a musical we can only have the vaguest of discussions about it, compared to the reality of actually seeing a musical version.

Without the cast, director, script, music, production values and a thousand other real world aspects, I just don't think it gets us very far.

Just so in the example above:
1. TH would be good as a multipart kid's cartoon version
2. Here is a multipart kids cartoon version
3. Oh, i didn't mean like that....

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 24 2015, 12:31pm

Post #28 of 38 (363 views)
Shortcut
Right, but that's not really the same. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's like someone saying "I'd love a TV show about a cancer sufferer who is forced into the drugs industry to support his family" and instead of Breaking Bad you offer them a video of YouTube blogger describing what a horrible month he's had. Laugh

That Hobbit animation is NOT what OP asked for. They wanted a TV budget series created by professionals, not two fans attempting to animate. I'm on AN and BB's side here. I think a cartoon could be great (admittedly it could also suck, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss the possibility).

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Feb 24 2015, 12:34pm)

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 24 2015, 12:44pm

Post #29 of 38 (359 views)
Shortcut
give over [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It seems to me.

If I suggested that the Fifty Shades film would be better as a musical we can only have the vaguest of discussions about it, compared to the reality of actually seeing a musical version.

Without the cast, director, script, music, production values and a thousand other real world aspects, I just don't think it gets us very far.

Just so in the example above:
1. TH would be good as a multipart kid's cartoon version
2. Here is a multipart kids cartoon version
3. Oh, i didn't mean like that....

so you want us to stop discussing it because theres a really lame unfinished webisode online?

the lotr movies wouldnt have got very far if this is your opinion

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2015, 12:48pm

Post #30 of 38 (354 views)
Shortcut
Of course it could [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we are probably saying the same thing, in different ways.

A fan animation could be good. A TV budget series could be good. A play could be good. A radio series could be good. A Youtube blog could be good.

Or each could be terrible, or could be ok. Without the specific "that" it's all complete surmise.

Else, if we are happy to simply assume "great" for the thousands of areas which make up a real product in any of these formats, then we are really saying "Wouldn't a really great version in format X be really great?" Well, yes, but I think that is very circular.

PS no suggestion on my part that others shouldn't discuss whatever they like. I'm just explaining my own view on the matter.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2015, 12:53pm

Post #31 of 38 (355 views)
Shortcut
No, I don't want you not to discuss it! [In reply to] Can't Post

You can discuss whatever you fancy. Do you want me to stop discussing it?

And not sure what you mean about LOTR?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 24 2015, 2:16pm

Post #32 of 38 (349 views)
Shortcut
Studio Ghibli [In reply to] Can't Post

If only Hayao Miyazaki would come out of retirement to direct a new animated movie of The Hobbit. I'm not sure that his son Goro is ready for such a challenge. His From Up on Poppy Hill was a great little film, but Tales from Earthsea left a bit to be desired.

A studio like Madhouse or Sunrise would have a very differnt vibe, but I would love to see what Yoko Kanno could do for the score.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 24 2015, 2:20pm)

burrahobbit
Rohan

Feb 24 2015, 4:51pm

Post #33 of 38 (336 views)
Shortcut
Yes I remember that show [In reply to] Can't Post

It was very nicely animated. Largely conventional style.

I was trying to think of something that breaks away from cell shading. Films like the Snowman or recently The Tale of the Princess Kaguya. Neither of these are quite right for The Hobbit, but I like how they experimented with new techniques and I wonder if something similar could be done for The Hobbit.

burrahobbit
Rohan

Feb 24 2015, 5:00pm

Post #34 of 38 (330 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

Brave is a good comparison- CGI with a natural look, lots of landscapes and a mythical feel. Wasn't Disney's best in terms of the story but excellent animation.

How to train your dragon and Lilo and Stitch are fun films. They do go for a much more 'cartoony' look if you know what I mean, and I'd prefer something with a bit more realism.

I would have though another live action Hobbit would be less likely, but I'm just guessing and really don't know.

burrahobbit
Rohan

Feb 24 2015, 5:14pm

Post #35 of 38 (342 views)
Shortcut
I do like Studio Ghibli [In reply to] Can't Post

So many classic films, especially Spirited Away. But they do tend to have their studio style, and adapt most films in this style. I'd prefer someone to look at The Hobbit story and decide on the style that would best tell the story.

I've though of another cool mix of 2D and 3D animation that could provide some inspiration. It's the Three Brothers story from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Again it's not exactly what The Hobbit needs, but it shows how innovative it's possible to be with mixing media and effects for very striking and expressive organic visuals-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR939M48BG4

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 24 2015, 8:39pm

Post #36 of 38 (328 views)
Shortcut
The Three Brothers story was a very clever animation.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it reminded me of the old silhouette films made by Lotte Reiniger - like this

Silhouette animation can be very delicate - I'd rather like to see a more fairy-tale version of The Hobbit done that way.

I was also intrigued by your mention of Alan Lee style animation in an earlier post. That I really would love to see but his work is so subtle that I doubt if it would be possible. It was his involvement that really drew me to the LotR films in the first place.

There was a BBC2 programme last November which used some very sensitive animations to accompany readings of First World War poems: that was an interesting style as well: there's a little trailer of the animation here

burrahobbit
Rohan

Feb 24 2015, 10:24pm

Post #37 of 38 (318 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

Both those links are really interesting thanks, especially the Lotte Reiniger film. A real animation craftsman.

I really liked the Three Brothers because it used CGI subtly to produce a very classic effect.

I'm also a huge Alan Lee fan. His style would be very difficult to animate, but I'm sure some of the qualities of his work could be interpreted in terms of that flowing organic style. It's interesting that some more organic looking CGI effects have been appearing in live action fantasy films, like that sooty inky black magic effect that features for the evil wizards in Harry Potter. I wonder if some related technique could help produce a watercolour-like animation.

moreorless
Gondor

Feb 26 2015, 2:09pm

Post #38 of 38 (273 views)
Shortcut
Give Shakespear the animated tails a try... [In reply to] Can't Post

The BBC produced a series of animations based on Shakespeare plays in the 90's, some very interesting animation styles...
Hamlet - http://www.dailymotion.com/...ales-haml_shortfilms
The Tempest - http://www.dailymotion.com/...-eng-subs_shortfilms

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.