possible remake
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 22 2015, 9:52pm

Post #1 of 38 (1794 views)
Shortcut
possible remake Can't Post

i believe there is immediate scope for an animated version of the hobbit. of course there is the 70's one, but this needs remaking. it would be lovely to have a real kids hobbit film, possibly hand drawn, or stop motion, or cgi, or a mixture of puppetry, and of course only one film.

when big films are released, i remember back in the 90's there would always be a spin off cartoon series on tv as a sort of follow up, why cant this happen again?

it wouldnt be a big budget or even jackson inspired, it might evn itself be a kids tv show! for me this is much more palatable in some ways than an overblown 3 film trilogy.

trying this for lotr i dont think would work bcuase that needs the weightyness of adult drama to really o it justice, but for the hobbit, im alot happier with changes and interpretations.

so come on rights holders, it would be nice if you gav it over to an, indie animation studio and lets us have a nice little kids film of the hobbit, with all that magical animation magic things like the snowman, wallace and gromit give us.

it is a real possibility and would not have to compete with peter jacksons version..

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 1:06am

Post #2 of 38 (1246 views)
Shortcut
I think this is happening right now [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
when big films are released, i remember back in the 90's there would always be a spin off cartoon series on tv as a sort of follow up, why cant this happen again?

For the Marvel movies. I remember seeing 30 minute cartoons for Thor this very weekend.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 10:58am

Post #3 of 38 (1052 views)
Shortcut
But - if tthere were to be a spin-off cartoon.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... then surely it would be based on the film and not the book, wouldn't it? If it's a spin-off? Like the tie-in books with illustrations from the film and the film story retold for children.

To be honest I think it's wildly unlikely but if it happened in the way you're suggesting I don't think it would be the film you imagine and want to see.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 1:43pm

Post #4 of 38 (1059 views)
Shortcut
Then you may find this interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.cosmiccreations.nl/thehobbit

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 2:02pm

Post #5 of 38 (1007 views)
Shortcut
WOWIE! Yippie! Great..FIND [In reply to] Can't Post

Black Fox... you are a WONDERFUL
Asset to this Site!

Alwayzz.. contribute in wonderful ways..

Rock ON! Foxy!
bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Feb 23 2015, 2:02pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 23 2015, 2:02pm

Post #6 of 38 (995 views)
Shortcut
It wouldn't have to be based on the film... [In reply to] Can't Post

As OP said, it used to happen all the time in the 90s, we'd get TV shows (usually cartoons) that were spin-offs of movies but often differed greatly from the cinematic versions, aesthetically or narratively. Superheroes in particular. Video games had the same, there were lots of Sonic the Hedgehog cartoons, which each had their own contained universe, as well as Zelda and Mario and others. I used to love Beetlejuice, The Mask, Ace Ventura, The Mummy, Star Wars, Jackie Chan got his own show. There were even Rambo cartoons and Planet of the Apes.

While they were spin-offs in the sense that they only existed because of the success of the original, they also often had their own separate franchises - Especially the superhero shows which were much more like the comics.

I agree that Lord of the Rings probably won't happen. But I think it's because WB assume (incorrectly) that people wouldn't be interested or that they wouldn't accept two contemporary adaptations at the same time. In reality, though. If handled well, I'm certain people would love a TV "remake" spin-off. It's actually not as wild as it first sounds.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 2:05pm

Post #7 of 38 (989 views)
Shortcut
Aww, thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

These things are always more fun when shared. Smile

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 2:13pm

Post #8 of 38 (1000 views)
Shortcut
this can never be remade. it was already perfect [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
i believe there is immediate scope for an animated version of the hobbit. of course there is the 70's one, but this needs remaking. it would be lovely to have a real kids hobbit film, possibly hand drawn, or stop motion, or cgi, or a mixture of puppetry, and of course only one film.

it wouldnt be a big budget or even jackson inspired, it might evn itself be a kids tv show! for me this is much more palatable in some ways than an overblown 3 film trilogy.

trying this for lotr i dont think would work bcuase that needs the weightyness of adult drama to really o it justice, but for the hobbit, im alot happier with changes and interpretations.

so come on rights holders, it would be nice if you gav it over to an, indie animation studio and lets us have a nice little kids film of the hobbit, with all that magical animation magic things like the snowman, wallace and gromit give us.

it is a real possibility and would not have to compete with peter jacksons version..

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 2:17pm

Post #9 of 38 (997 views)
Shortcut
Well goodness... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was wrong, then - looks like the OP will get his/her wish.

Nice find, fox!

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 23 2015, 4:04pm

Post #10 of 38 (976 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

yeah ive seen that already, good effort, but im quietly ignoring it, not that great IMO.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 4:26pm

Post #11 of 38 (970 views)
Shortcut
Oh - thought you wanted a low-budget animated version... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. a nice simple little kids' film - that looks just the thing.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 23 2015, 4:31pm

Post #12 of 38 (961 views)
Shortcut
sure [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
.. a nice simple little kids' film - that looks just the thing.

yeah ok ignore all previous posts this is even better than the films!

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 23 2015, 5:25pm

Post #13 of 38 (943 views)
Shortcut
Yup, perfect tone of the book, Dutch accents and all... [In reply to] Can't Post

The artwork is fine. But I do prefer animation to involve, oh you know... some animation. Not just cardboard cut-outs that barely move. It's cool that they gave it a go, but if you want to make a fan animation you have to know how to animate - not just know how to draw and use software. Frown And some acting wouldn't go amiss either.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2015, 6:04pm

Post #14 of 38 (934 views)
Shortcut
It is illustrative, I think, [In reply to] Can't Post

Of the idea that it is probably more profitable to compare real versions than compare the real with the hypothetical.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 23 2015, 6:20pm

Post #15 of 38 (916 views)
Shortcut
waaaht [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Of the idea that it is probably more profitable to compare real versions than compare the real with the hypothetical.

i have no idea what your saying!

moreorless
Gondor

Feb 23 2015, 7:44pm

Post #16 of 38 (913 views)
Shortcut
My guess is any future Tolkien won't be "low budget" or indeed aimed at kids [In reply to] Can't Post

I think its very unlikely that any future Tolkien adapatation will be a low budget affair plus I don't think that children really represent the core of the market for Tolkien today either.

Honestly if we did see some kind of TV adaptation I think the more natural direction to take things in would be to make them more not less serious, the Hobbit films as they are edged on being too "larger than life" for many. Some kind of adaptation based on say Aragorn's earlier life or the war with Amgar to me seems natural to take in a more down to earth direction as well.

If were talking personal dream projects that will likely never happen I would love to see an animated version of LOTR done in the style of Alan Lee's paintings. Whilst obviously not "realistic" his style for me matches Tolkien so well.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Feb 23 2015, 7:46pm)

burrahobbit
Rohan

Feb 23 2015, 11:02pm

Post #17 of 38 (878 views)
Shortcut
What would be the best style for an animated Hobbit? [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that it would be possible to have a more faithful and family oriented version of The Hobbit without it being seen to clash or compete with Jackson's films. Whether the rights would ever be issued is another matter.

It's interesting to think about how different animation styles would bring out different aspects of the story. The Hobbit is obviously a fairy-tale, with natural themes and quite a few dream-like sequences. There's lots of music and riddling, comedy, and fire and darkness.

I don't see stop motion or puppetry being quite right for The Hobbit story, they're just a bit too rigid and would struggle with the more fantastical sequences. Hand drawn seems more promising, but something more natural and gothic than say Disney. Maybe some form of hand-drawn and CGI hybrid would work.

Not sure if Alan Lee's watercolour illustration style could ever be animated, but it would be fantastic as it's got the right lyrical and natural qualities.

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 23 2015, 11:20pm

Post #18 of 38 (874 views)
Shortcut
Animals of Farthing Wood style! [In reply to] Can't Post

http://youtu.be/sPz1Zy98bJw Would suit it well.

Stop motion COULD work, if done really, really well. Possibly even stylised CG. But it would have to look hand-made and traditional and natural. Earthy colours and such.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2015, 11:23pm

Post #19 of 38 (866 views)
Shortcut
Oh apologies if that was overly cryptic. [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant that when we say that a particular style or format of adaptation would be good, as a hypothetical, I think it is easy to vaguely imagine it through a rose-tinted haze.

The reality of a product in that style or format forces us to consider the version in a much more rounded and nuanced way and the result, as in this case, may be that we don't like the reality, even though it is an example of our hypothetical "better case" scenario.

Or to put it more simply, whenever someone says that this would be good as a cartoon, or a musical or a single film etc. I always think, "Well, show me that version and I'll tell you if I like it better or worse!".

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 24 2015, 12:22am

Post #20 of 38 (852 views)
Shortcut
stage play [In reply to] Can't Post

i saw the stage play of the hobbit back in 2002 and it was cheap , only an hour and a half, and very different to the book, but i enjoyed it immensely and the dwarves all had coloured hoods! shocking!

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2015, 12:38am

Post #21 of 38 (852 views)
Shortcut
That's what I mean. [In reply to] Can't Post

Far better to compare real versions than hypothetical ones. You can easily say how much you liked that version that you saw. The more general idea that it would be good as a stage play isn't, I don't think, all that helpful as it actually depends entirely on the specific output within that genre.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 24 2015, 1:19am

Post #22 of 38 (850 views)
Shortcut
? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Far better to compare real versions than hypothetical ones. You can easily say how much you liked that version that you saw. The more general idea that it would be good as a stage play isn't, I don't think, all that helpful as it actually depends entirely on the specific output within that genre.

i still have no real idea what your talking about.

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 24 2015, 1:33am

Post #23 of 38 (851 views)
Shortcut
I think Spriggan is saying... [In reply to] Can't Post

That it's pointless to ever consider the possibility of other versions of The Hobbit until they actually exist - because there's no evidence otherwise of whether it is a good or a bad thing.

You know, Fifty Shades of Grey is a terrible book in my opinion. The Film just came out recently and that was also terrible! Does that mean it's impossible for a film based on that book to ever be anything other than terrible?

Nope.

Can I prove it?

Nope. But it's fun sometimes to speculate!

Unless you have no imagination.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2015, 2:11am

Post #24 of 38 (833 views)
Shortcut
nice style! /// [In reply to] Can't Post

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2015, 2:17am

Post #25 of 38 (840 views)
Shortcut
Lilo and Stitch [In reply to] Can't Post

..really.

the watercolor backgrounds were the first done since, ah (hastily googles...) since Dumbo in 1941.

It gives an illustrative, fine kids' book look.

The kind of stylization of characters in Lilo and Stitch, How to Train Your Dragon, would work for the Hobbit, I think.

The overall look of hits like Frozen or Brave would work too.

But I really love the live action ones!

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.