The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Your Favourite Single Frames?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 22 2015, 7:13pm

Post #1 of 20 (1583 views)
Shortcut
Your Favourite Single Frames? Can't Post

I was wondering if anyone else has a particular frame - a single shot - in The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings that they find aesthetically interesting?

Two currently spring to mind, which inspired me to make this thread, they're two images that I always picture when thinking about The Hobbit. I'm sure I'll think of more later which I'll add in the replies, but the two I think of right now are:

1. Gandalf travelling to the High Fells: There's a single, short shot in DoS of Gandalf walking up a hill toward the High Fells where he uses his staff as a walking stick and his robes ripple dramatically in the wind. It's a brief moment in the saga where I'm really reminded of John Howe's illustration of Gandalf as this frail old man that stands strong against the powerful wind. It's a great display of Gandalf's character. Showing both his apparent frailty and his hidden strength. And the fact that he's completely alone in this shot really portrays him as the "grey pilgrim" that he's described as in the books. The landscape is also beautiful, the gorgeous blue sky and distant mountains contrasting with this huge dark cliff that foreshadows the looming danger ahead.

2. Mirkwood spider wrapping Bilbo: In Mirkwood, when Bilbo gets caught and wrapped up by the spider, there's this split-second before the screen cuts to black where the spider strikes this incredibly dramatic pose. I'd love to freeze-frame this image, it was stuck in my head throughout the rest of the spider sequence when I first saw the film. I'm not sure what it is about it, but I find it really creepy and something about the spider's specific pose just makes me feel like I'm looking at a real spider and not a heavily design construction from Weta's artists. - The way that the spider moves in this sequence is also really creepy.

So here's a question: Say I had the full celluloid reels of all The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies and I asked you to cut out and keep just one single frame. Which would you choose? Smile

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Feb 22 2015, 7:26pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 22 2015, 8:11pm

Post #2 of 20 (1115 views)
Shortcut
Just one? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd have to go with this. Closely followed by this.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 22 2015, 8:23pm

Post #3 of 20 (1049 views)
Shortcut
Nice choices! [In reply to] Can't Post

Any frame with the eagles is great, I personally love when they're approaching the Carrock

That picture of Gandalf and Bilbo, I have no idea how they've achieved the height differences so convincingly. Is Bilbo scaled down or Gandalf scaled up? How big is the on-location Bag End? Hobbit or human scale?

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Feb 22 2015, 8:25pm)

Kim
Valinor

Feb 22 2015, 9:11pm

Post #4 of 20 (1049 views)
Shortcut
You asked for one [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'll give you three:

The Eagles (the one Blackfox linked to above)

The White Council: it's just so beautiful

Thorin after Azanulbizar: talk about a hero moment

I do also really like the shot of Gandalf you described, but as for the other, you could not pay me to freeze frame on any of the spiders!

Smile

#OneLastTime

marary
Lorien

Feb 22 2015, 9:47pm

Post #5 of 20 (1033 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf and Bilbo during the Ravenhill afternmath [In reply to] Can't Post

1) After Thorin has died, Bilbo is sitting quietly on some steps, and Gandalf comes to sit next to him. There's a shot of the two of them from the front, the small, shell-shocked hobbit and the tall gray wizard, just sitting in silence next to each other and staring ahead. There's something very iconic and beautiful about that shot for me. Might be my favorite from all 6 ME films.

2) Gandalf's hand closed around the moth as he sits imprisoned atop Isengard.

3) Would love a poster of Thorin striding on the battle field with his oaken-shield.

4) I love this shot of Thorin- not to frame it- but because I think his expression looks right out of an old renaissance painting: http://www.framecaplib.com/...bttrail/htrlr301.jpg

5) Boromir holding up the Ring on a chain on a snowy mountain ridge.

(This post was edited by marary on Feb 22 2015, 9:57pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 22 2015, 11:59pm

Post #6 of 20 (984 views)
Shortcut
This is just too difficult [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so many beautiful and memorable images in these films. I'd say, though, that the best-looking moments for me, visually, would be visuals with Thorin (wonderful poses and expressions), with Smaug (the most gorgeous dragon ever), the large scenes like the Eagles, Rivendell waterfall, Erebor, Thranduil fighting, and on (and on)…

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 12:54am

Post #7 of 20 (987 views)
Shortcut
One that I might choose as a favorite [In reply to] Can't Post

or several, actually, is when the Fellowship is scaling up a mountain and you see each member framed against the sky. Legolas appearance was especially dramatic to me. He is a beautiful being, like all the elves, but that wasn't it. It's more a combination of that and what I felt was such a regal and confident bearing.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

(This post was edited by Kirly on Feb 23 2015, 12:57am)

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 1:01am

Post #8 of 20 (970 views)
Shortcut
Another one [In reply to] Can't Post

In the FOTR scene where Frodo says, "What must I do?"
I love that scene and the forlorn sound of Frodo's voice and the look on his innocent face.

Also, in Rivendell when he realizes the ring will destroy everyone and he say, "I will take it. I will take the ring to Mordor."

These scenes are similar for me. Heartbreaking images of an innocent young hobbit committing to something which may end in his death.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 23 2015, 2:27am

Post #9 of 20 (970 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Image of the ship sailing away from the Grey Havens, from LotR. Because it is a favorite emotional moment for me, and also spectacular visually.

From "The Hobbit" it would be a moment from the end of DoS when Smaug has emerged from Erebor and spins in the air, shedding a rain of gold. JUst a gorgeous moment.

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 2:14pm

Post #10 of 20 (874 views)
Shortcut
you are such a special person [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Image of the ship sailing away from the Grey Havens, from LotR. Because it is a favorite emotional moment for me, and also spectacular visually.

From "The Hobbit" it would be a moment from the end of DoS when Smaug has emerged from Erebor and spins in the air, shedding a rain of gold. JUst a gorgeous moment.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 23 2015, 3:19pm

Post #11 of 20 (873 views)
Shortcut
As mentioned before, just ONE? [In reply to] Can't Post

In LOTR that's easy - there's a shot where the Fellowship walks one-by-one between two rocks, right when the music swells, still remember that scene after all these long years! I guess the one with Gandalf, that would be a great single-frame!

As for The Hobbit, I've got such a crush on Thorin that it's ridiculous! Hard to choose just one of him, but that scene where he's talking to Balin and says "Loyalty, honor, a willing heart...I can ask no more" would probably be it. Honorable mention goes to the first shot of Laketown and Smaug's reveal from the gold coins - totally AWESOME!!!

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 23 2015, 3:49pm

Post #12 of 20 (858 views)
Shortcut
Sorry. I did actually mean two imply two separate questions... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see I didn't make it clear. But I meant to ask:

1. What are some images (as many as you like) that you find stand-out as particularly interesting?

2. If you had to choose just one frame, what would it be?

Good choices, though. I see Thorin is particularly popular. I personally like moments that remind me of the book - so Thorin is not one of my favourites unfortunately.

But I agree with Smaug. Also there are some great shots of Gollum. I especially like when Gollum is a silhouette on his island, when he turns and his eyes glow, it's a pretty cool moment. Smile

Skaan
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 4:17pm

Post #13 of 20 (854 views)
Shortcut
Mine [In reply to] Can't Post

I always loved this one:

There's lots of shots in The Hobbit that i love aswell, but it's hard to pick a favorite right now so i'll just stick with LOTR Tongue

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 4:28pm

Post #14 of 20 (835 views)
Shortcut
Many years ago, the Manager of an ARTHouse Movie Palace [In reply to] Can't Post

here, gave Bomby
The First Poster for FOTR

It's Frodo Holding the Ring &
Looking Straight @ YOU...

Bom has it Framed on my Tolkien Mural Wall,
since it..YES! It does look like a "Renaissance Painting"!
Slightly
Soft-focus...WHY?

SSOoo..important..
Since it izz
Sorta like Frodo
SAYing.."WHAT would do with THIS?"

We Never got to
SEE Bilbo kneeled down with
STING, with it, as a Crutch...

Maybe in the EE?

Bom needs to Buy THAT poster
since it would make a Great Pair with the Frodo one.

BookENDS?
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2015, 2:20am

Post #15 of 20 (767 views)
Shortcut
I think this may be on my top two.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's iconic of the entire trilogy, and the Hobbit too. It sums up the whole Middle Earth experience.

Also, anything with galloping horses...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2015, 2:21am

Post #16 of 20 (769 views)
Shortcut
also great.... [In reply to] Can't Post

my friends named their new house Grey Havens, and I used this scene as a basis for the watercolor I did for them.

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 24 2015, 2:48am

Post #17 of 20 (756 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, I guess you like these a lot as well?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 24 2015, 8:01pm

Post #18 of 20 (734 views)
Shortcut
So many, but my absolute favorite single shot is this one of Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

as he strides into Dol Goldur. Its shot so metallically in color, almost monochrome. The light is menacing but the warmer glow on the horizon is juuuust barely there...the way this shot is composed is just so amazing. The balance of the staff and the blade elements, crossed, the movement of the robes and beard against the wind. Sheesh, I could go on and on. Just such amazing composition. I stop it a lot just to look at it because of how it looks.

Feeling-wise, its just so perfectly Gandalf, and appropriately The Grey, a the scene visually reflects. Going forward alone into peril. It makes me proud to see him like this. Cool

(This post was edited by Brethil on Feb 24 2015, 8:11pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 25 2015, 10:24am

Post #19 of 20 (681 views)
Shortcut
I have lots [In reply to] Can't Post

But this one is right up there.

Reptile
Rivendell

Feb 26 2015, 3:04am

Post #20 of 20 (629 views)
Shortcut
Mine would have to be a frame from the lighting of the beacons [In reply to] Can't Post

In the sequence of shots during the lighting of the beacons, there is one shot as the camera swings around one of the lit beacons, and the music rises just as a beacon on the ridge in the distance bursts into flame. That scene is my absolute favorite, followed closely by the distant shot of the Fellowship making their way down the broken stairs in Khazad Dum.

I haven't watched The Hobbit movies enough times yet to form a solid opinion on that one frame. The shot of Beorn leaning on his axe while he's talking with Gandalf and Bilbo would be a strong contender.

"If you listen closely, you can hear the gods laughing."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.