The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Middle-earth legacy for New Zealand: article NZ Herald

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 21 2015, 8:59pm

Post #1 of 18 (332 views)
Shortcut
The Middle-earth legacy for New Zealand: article NZ Herald Can't Post

The latest of many pieces recording and speculating on current and long-term effects.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/...mp;objectid=11405803

demnation
Rohan

Feb 22 2015, 2:41am

Post #2 of 18 (259 views)
Shortcut
Have to ask: who or what are the All Blacks? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I may have answered the interviewers question about whether the Tolkien brand is more recognizable overseas than the All Blacks.

But anyway a very interesting article. A few things I take from it: these films have been good for New Zealand, the studios have not done enough to capitalize on this gold mine, and NZ will obviously will have to look to different places to attract more people in the future. Thanks for sharing!

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2015, 2:46am

Post #3 of 18 (250 views)
Shortcut
The All Blacks are the best rugby team in the world // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 22 2015, 12:21pm

Post #4 of 18 (242 views)
Shortcut
Google them... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bom LOVES how they do a "Haka"
before each GAME...In Fact there is!... a place on the Internet
That allows you to watch the TOP TEN Hakas
before World Cup games...

IT is hilarious!!!!... to see HOW Intimidated
the OTHER TEAMS get....

Found it! just Type.... New Zealand Haka

SSOooo...WAyCOOL!
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 3:01am

Post #5 of 18 (217 views)
Shortcut
yes they are! and they also have the best Haka [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.allblacks.com/
I discovered them around the time I went to NZ and I'm completely addicted.

do a search for "new Zealand all blacks haka" to see I mean.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 3:05am

Post #6 of 18 (218 views)
Shortcut
here's a good one [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gbj_ig09WQ

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 3:21am

Post #7 of 18 (220 views)
Shortcut
My reaction to the article [In reply to] Can't Post

Financial commentator Bernard Hickey
said

"New Zealand wasted an opportunity to create something really spectacular," Hickey says. "Why there is not a proper studio tour in Wellington is a mystery.
"Hobbiton is nice but it is really just a stroll around a paddock. And the Weta Cave is a visit to a small house to see some props in a glass case ... it is over in the blink of an eye.
"The Harry Potter tour costs a small fortune but you get a full day out and a 3D, high-tech experience.
Warner Brothers also made the Middle Earth films and they are just as popular, so why is there nothing similar over here?"
Hickey thinks better infrastructure should be in place, because significant tax breaks were granted to get the movies made here.
"Sir Peter Jackson's films are timeless and will generate love for a very long time to come. The films are worthy of investment in a proper, international-class studio tour in our capital city.
"Can we really expect people to fly 24 hours to New Zealand for a walk about Hobbiton and a cup of coffee when there are far more impressive movie set attractions elsewhere in the world?"

Hickey completely misses the point that the "studio" IS New Zealand itself. Its incomparable beauty IS the backdrop for these movies. The entire country is the studio tour! As much as I would love to have all the props and such in a single museum (Te Papa, perhaps?), and I do so hope that will happen some day, what we get in the landscapes is unbelievable.

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 7:19am

Post #8 of 18 (211 views)
Shortcut
They have the best All Blacks haka, but not the best haka [In reply to] Can't Post

If you are interested in haka, don't base your learning only on the All Blacks. There is a world of glorious haka out there.

This is a haka!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 3:49pm

Post #9 of 18 (203 views)
Shortcut
Starling... Is there a Translation? [In reply to] Can't Post

In English would it mean "War Dance"?

Funny, since
Bom has been thinking
About the Movie "The Imitation Game" but

You could call a Haka, An "INTIMIDATION Game"?

WHICH could be a Alternative.... Definition for HAKA..

Sorry, but Bomby is Laughing & his OWN joke...
*..TeeHeHe..*

CrazyCrazy

www.charlie-art.biz

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 5:13pm

Post #10 of 18 (199 views)
Shortcut
It is so much more than that [In reply to] Can't Post

Have a look at this article.
Smile

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 23 2015, 5:26pm

Post #11 of 18 (194 views)
Shortcut
GREAT... you Always have the Best [In reply to] Can't Post

most Complete Story to help us
who are NOT Kiwi's to understand...

WayCOOL, Thanks

bom
Heart

www.charlie-art.biz

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2015, 5:58pm

Post #12 of 18 (192 views)
Shortcut
I've seen the props in a travelling tour.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... in Boston, and that was cool. I wore out my arm holding my sketchbook, because, no cameras.

BUT IF I COULD, I WOULD FLY TO NZ IN A HEARTBEAT!!!!

Because, Middle Earth.

And hakas.

And I'd need about 265716491 major GB camera cards and batteries...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2015, 6:00pm

Post #13 of 18 (191 views)
Shortcut
wondering... [In reply to] Can't Post

... The Maoris and the Hawaiians are related....

and I can't figure out through Mr Google if the Hawaiians have a haka... hula yes, but that's different... sort of...

To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2015, 6:11pm

Post #14 of 18 (192 views)
Shortcut
this guy needs to read Last Child in the Woods... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Financial commentator Bernard Hickey has taken his two kids to Hobbiton and to the Weta Cave Workshop Tour in Wellington.

He believes neither compare with overseas "film tourism" attractions such as the smash-hit Warner Brothers ­Harry Potter Studio tour in ­London, which he has also visited."

Last Child in the Woods (Richard Louv) points out our culture's disconnect with nature, our constant plugged-in-ness, best illustrated by the 8year old's quote: "I like to play inside, because that's where all the electrical outlets are..."

Middle Earth and NZ do not need a gazillion dollar high-tech 3D extravaganza. That's not what Middle Earth is about. Tolkien's work is infused with a deep respect and awe of the natural world. The films reflect this.

It's nice to see the props, to learn something of the wizardry behind the effects.. but the real star of the films is NZ itself. The mountains, rivers, far flung fields.

If I want high tech wizardry, I'll check out the extras on the DVDs.

if I want to immerse myself in Middle Earth, I'll come to NZ.

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 9:19pm

Post #15 of 18 (175 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! Thank you for that info! /// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 9:20pm

Post #16 of 18 (175 views)
Shortcut
The traveling show didn't come to my city. /// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 9:22pm

Post #17 of 18 (182 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

You said it so much better than I did. Smile

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2015, 1:57am

Post #18 of 18 (172 views)
Shortcut
:( [In reply to] Can't Post

it was a very good travelling show!

the whole Dead Boromir in a Boat thing was kind of eerie though...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.