Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which film should win the Best Picture Oscar?
Poll: Which film should win the Best Picture Oscar?
American Sniper
Birdman
Boyhood
The Imitation Game
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Selma
The Theory of Everything
Whiplash
View Results (23 votes)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 21 2015, 8:58pm

Post #1 of 14 (1827 views)
Shortcut
Which film should win the Best Picture Oscar? Can't Post

Which film most deserves to win the Best Picture Oscar at this year's Academy Awards in your opinion?

demnation
Rohan

Feb 22 2015, 2:47am

Post #2 of 14 (1790 views)
Shortcut
Of those I've seen, none [In reply to] Can't Post

Have not seen Selma, Theory of Everything, Intimidation Game or Whiplash. Selma is probably the only one I really would like to watch at some point.

As for the others: I'm neutral on the perceived politics of American Sniper, and I thought it was good but not the greatest movie of the year. Boyhood and Birdman where technically admirable but I found both to be self indulgent and pretentious and I hated all the characters in both films. Grand Budapest was funny and charming, but certainly not something I considered great.

The films I thought were best last year (Interstellar, Foxcatcher, The Immigrant.) were not nominated.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 22 2015, 3:26pm

Post #3 of 14 (1708 views)
Shortcut
sniper [In reply to] Can't Post

American sniper got votes!!? i have very angry views on that film.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 22 2015, 3:51pm

Post #4 of 14 (1708 views)
Shortcut
Hard to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

Many good contenders this year and the only one that we've seeen is The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Annael
Immortal

Feb 22 2015, 4:28pm

Post #5 of 14 (1691 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen them all [In reply to] Can't Post

but of the ones I've seen, The Grand Budapest Hotel got my vote. It's a movie I've seen many times and still find something new in each viewing. Anderson's view of the human spirit is uplifting, as well.

(This post was edited by Annael on Feb 22 2015, 4:29pm)

tsmith675
Gondor

Feb 23 2015, 12:17am

Post #6 of 14 (1670 views)
Shortcut
Whiplash is the best, but Boyhood should win. [In reply to] Can't Post

Birdman is just behind those two.

tsmith675
Gondor

Feb 23 2015, 12:17am

Post #7 of 14 (1706 views)
Shortcut
Watch Whiplash [In reply to] Can't Post

That's all I have to say.

Konrad S
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 2:46pm

Post #8 of 14 (1663 views)
Shortcut
I have not seen any of these films but I vote for Birdman Bechause it was the best name [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Konrad S on Feb 23 2015, 2:48pm)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2015, 5:23pm

Post #9 of 14 (1650 views)
Shortcut
of these, I have only seen Imitation Game [In reply to] Can't Post

about a brilliant mind (but so is Theory of Everything) who is really not understood by his culture and time period...

brilliant actor (Bakabatch Cookiecrumble)

Selma is close to home, and should have gotten more notice.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 25 2015, 1:49pm

Post #10 of 14 (1615 views)
Shortcut
A lot of good films this year, [In reply to] Can't Post

not a lot of great ones. My personal favorite was Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, but i wouldn't say that it was 'best picture" material. I thought Interstellar's first half or two thirds was truly great (and the girl playing McConaughey's daughter, Mackenzie Foy, was brilliant-- the best child performance i've seen in years and years (so much so that Jessica Chastain was a disappointment when she took over as the adult version), but it lost me a bit toward the end. I suppose Grand Budapest Hotel was the most "award worthy"-- great acting from almost everyone in it's huge, impressive cast, beautiful cinematography, and a great script. And it was truly funny. Though Birdman was really an adventurous film, with some great performances. And i really liked Under the Skin.

My vote goes to Grand Budapest Hotel.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 25 2015, 1:52pm

Post #11 of 14 (1625 views)
Shortcut
Haven't seen it, [In reply to] Can't Post

but i'm definitely going to. Nightcrawler seems like another really interesting, challenging film that got overlooked. Need to see that one too.

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Feb 27 2015, 11:22pm

Post #12 of 14 (1584 views)
Shortcut
Just saw Interstellar and [In reply to] Can't Post

loved it....cant believe it got no awards...

cats16
Half-elven

Feb 27 2015, 11:32pm

Post #13 of 14 (1582 views)
Shortcut
It won Best Visual Effects. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Gianna
Rohan

Feb 28 2015, 1:51am

Post #14 of 14 (1581 views)
Shortcut
same here, I haven't seen any of them but liked the title Birdman best :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.