Little Moments That Give Me Joy!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 12:43am

Post #26 of 47 (506 views)
Shortcut
Great topic choice! /// [In reply to] Can't Post

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 23 2015, 4:29pm

Post #27 of 47 (469 views)
Shortcut
"You must be Mr. Boggins! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Especially when he says those less than brilliant things. It's so endearing

I love that line and the way he says it! Never fails to make me smile Heart.

marary
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 5:44pm

Post #28 of 47 (473 views)
Shortcut
"There's another way in!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, thank you for stating the obvious Kili... right after your brother also stated the obvious. Those two...

Also, I like when Kili greets Dwalin as "Mr. Dwalin." Makes me smile.

Nuradar
Rohan

Feb 23 2015, 6:12pm

Post #29 of 47 (441 views)
Shortcut
nice list [In reply to] Can't Post

all these moments you mention here are great - I agree!

Nuradar

Faleel
Rohan

Feb 23 2015, 8:13pm

Post #30 of 47 (453 views)
Shortcut
To me [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, there is no problem with that line, it makes these characters seem more "human".

marary
Lorien

Feb 23 2015, 9:27pm

Post #31 of 47 (440 views)
Shortcut
Don't get me wrong :) [In reply to] Can't Post

That line is perfect. It's exactly what Kili is supposed to be at the start of the journey.

Another one I love: "This, Master Baggins is the world of men," and then the Lake-town theme plays for the first time.

Faleel
Rohan

Feb 23 2015, 9:32pm

Post #32 of 47 (437 views)
Shortcut
Technically [In reply to] Can't Post

Technically it is the third time ;)

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 24 2015, 1:58am

Post #33 of 47 (420 views)
Shortcut
ILOVE LOVE LOVE that line! Mr. Dwalin [In reply to] Can't Post

So respectful. Full of love.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

(This post was edited by Kirly on Feb 24 2015, 1:58am)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2015, 2:39am

Post #34 of 47 (402 views)
Shortcut
action figures on vacation... [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

I've done that sort of thing too, it's fun, and a way to make basic scenery (as if NZ would have anything so mundane) even more interesting.

I've also had issues with focus: when you focus on thw background, the foreground (action figures) are fuzzy. When you focus o the figures, the background often goes wonky...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2015, 2:51am

Post #35 of 47 (397 views)
Shortcut
action figures on vacation again [In reply to] Can't Post

that was pretty awesome

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 24 2015, 9:36am

Post #36 of 47 (409 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for starting this thread [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a joy to read because every little moment everyone has mentioned comes into my mind when I read them. And I'd agree with every single one...

Here are a few more:

The sparks flying from Bilbo's chimney
Little Bilbo tugging on Gandalf's robe
Bilbo's hand gesture when he says "I am a Baggins... of Bag End" - and the expression on his face when Gandalf starts telling him about Bullroarer Took
Dwalin leaning against the wall "He will come...."

The mountains in the opening shot of DoS
Beorn's white mice on the chess set
The light reflecting on the lake when Bard reads the prophecy
The look on Thorin's face when [insert an occasion: that man speaks with his eyes]
The thrush twittering to Bilbo as they make their way to the Mountain

The raven
Bilbo finding his handkerchief

and on... and on.....

Tintallë
Gondor

Feb 24 2015, 5:52pm

Post #37 of 47 (399 views)
Shortcut
The one that stands out above all the many, many moments [In reply to] Can't Post

is Bilbo standing in Bag End the morning after Thorin & company have left. Bag End is absolutely quiet and still. There's not a thing out of place and not a sound to be heard. The look on Bilbo's face as he listens and hears nothing, as he looks and sees nothing - you can almost see and hear the recollections of the night before in his head and the contrast between then and now.

No dialogue, no music, no action, yet so much is conveyed in that moment. . .

And then he RUNS away from the nothingness and toward life and adventure!

Love, love love it!

Kim
Valinor

Feb 24 2015, 7:16pm

Post #38 of 47 (375 views)
Shortcut
This! [In reply to] Can't Post

The look on Thorin's face when [insert an occasion: that man speaks with his eyes]

You've hit the nail on the head there dormouse! And your other examples are pretty good too. Laugh

#OneLastTime

elostirion74
Rohan

Feb 24 2015, 7:54pm

Post #39 of 47 (375 views)
Shortcut
Certainly more than a few [In reply to] Can't Post

For AUJ I have lots of moments:

- Kili´s naïveté: "But you forget we have a wizard in our company. Gandalf will have slayed hundreds of dragons in his time.." (not sure of the exact wording)

- Bofur´s wonderful mischievous look saying: "Did you hear that lads? He says we´ll blunt the knives"

- Balin´s opening words: "Yes it is. Though I think it might rain later", not to mention the look he exchanges with Dwalin immediately afterwards

- The expression on one of the troll´s faces when saying: "That does sound quite nice" (comment for the suggestion of herbs with which to cook the dwarves)

- The mock bow of the Great Goblin before Thorin - just superb!

- Wonderfully childlike Gollum: "Gaames! We love games!"

- Cranky peevish Gollum look: "That´s not fair. Ask us another one.."

- "Rivendell" - Bilbo´s look of enchantment at first sight. Best moment in all the three films as far as I am considered

- Bilbo´s hesitation when considering how to retrieve the sword from the wolf´s head

Desolation of Smaug:
- I´m particularly partial to Bilbo´s helmet and clothes when leaving Lake Town. When he enters the frame he looks absolutely hilarious! And then you´ve got Dori with the slightly pompous wave to the people at the same time.. Just could´t have been any better.

- Bombur´s bouncing barrel unleashed on the orcs - surprising and absolutely wonderful!

BoTFA:
- The look shared between Bilbo and Thorin in the acorn scene. It´s a beautiful moment

- Seeing the row of hobbits going down the Hill, all carrying at least one item from the auction

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 25 2015, 2:12am

Post #40 of 47 (358 views)
Shortcut
A few ... [In reply to] Can't Post

• Gandalf snorting at Bilbo, 'selling buttons at the door!'
  • Legolas mentioning Gondolin. *Oh yes*
  • Bilbo running out the door; I love the shot of him leaping.
  • Balin winking at Bilbo when he catches up.
  • Elrond telling Gandalf he's never dressed for dinner.
  • When Bilbo picks up the golden cup and the dragon wakes...lovely.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 25 2015, 9:22am

Post #41 of 47 (333 views)
Shortcut
Yes to all these...... [In reply to] Can't Post

Another one I love is the way Bilbo slumps down onto his knee on the treasure hoard when he realises this dragon is very, very, big and it's about to wake up. His position and expression say so much.

CathrineB
Rohan

Feb 25 2015, 10:52am

Post #42 of 47 (332 views)
Shortcut
There's many! [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my fave little moment is Bilbo's reaction to Gandalf asking him about the ring when they say goodbye. Bilbo's all :O No.. No no. It's just really adorable.

Fili and Kili in the stone giants scene

The look on Dori's face when Ori stands up going all "I'm up for it!" Dori looks at Nori like "Are you listening to this?!" and the turns to pull Ori back down XD

Fili and his final little dagger being found by the elf in the cells Laugh

banaili
Bree

Feb 25 2015, 4:59pm

Post #43 of 47 (308 views)
Shortcut
There are just so many... [In reply to] Can't Post

So very many that I enjoyed, so it's hard to choose just one! However, as many of the little moments I adored have already been mentioned here, I'll mention one that I didn't see on this list yet:

--Balin crying amidst his books in the dusty library of Erebor, during BotFA. I loved seeing the connection between him and Bilbo there, but I think what struck me most about that scene was how true to Balin that moment seemed in the movie. He always seemed the bookish type, and seeing him retreating, in his sadness, to a place where he might feel more comfortable, more secure...What a beautiful moment. (Even if his tears are heartbreaking! Frown ) It was really well-done!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 25 2015, 5:25pm

Post #44 of 47 (303 views)
Shortcut
I have two... [In reply to] Can't Post

and they both tie in closely with music. The first is Bilbo rushing off to join the company, with that great uptempo version of the Shire/Hobbit theme. The other is the eagles flying the company to the Carrock, with what is probably the best music Howard Shore did for this trilogy playing over.

marary
Lorien

Feb 25 2015, 6:07pm

Post #45 of 47 (296 views)
Shortcut
More Balin moments [In reply to] Can't Post

Balin was such a wonderfully depicted character.

There are two moments in particular where Balin subtly knows more than he is saying, and it's so wonderfully expressed in his eyes. These two moments are:

1) When Bilbo asks Balin if the Arkenstone would make Thorin's dragon sickness worse, and Balin has this little eye twitch at Bilbo (almost a wink) that tells you he *totally* knows Bilbo has it. "Best it stays lost."

2) When Bilbo is leaving Erebor, and can't finish his sentence about Thorin. Balin has this wonderfully knowing look.

Bonus Balin moment: "Apology accepted."

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 25 2015, 6:41pm

Post #46 of 47 (289 views)
Shortcut
I love that moment too, Dormouse! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Another one I love is the way Bilbo slumps down onto his knee on the treasure hoard when he realises this dragon is very, very, big and it's about to wake up. His position and expression say so much.

I note most of my moments are in AUJ. But I also love the shot on BoFA of Smaug flying low over Laketown, whooshing by. Scary but yet so gorgeous, so imposing. Brings me joy that they make him so real.

Martin's Bilbo comedy is low key which I also love. That bit in DoS EE when he's crossing the river..."I don't see any problems." Slides upside completely down. "Hup, there's one." Laugh Just so well done. So Bilbo!

banaili
Bree

Feb 26 2015, 3:37pm

Post #47 of 47 (245 views)
Shortcut
Balin love!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1) When Bilbo asks Balin if the Arkenstone would make Thorin's dragon sickness worse, and Balin has this little eye twitch at Bilbo (almost a wink) that tells you he *totally* knows Bilbo has it. "Best it stays lost."

That is the exact moment I meant! :D He's absolutely amazing, and I think Ken Stott really portrayed him perfectly! Considering his age, he seems like the sort of dwarf who would know more than he lets on, especially when it comes to his king!

And completely agreed! XD Balin's "Apology accepted" really made that scene in the first film! XD

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.