Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Did Jackson make a digital dwarf double of himself?

Bishop
Gondor

Feb 21 2015, 12:02am

Post #1 of 10 (1438 views)
Shortcut
Did Jackson make a digital dwarf double of himself? Can't Post

Not sure if anyone can confirm, but watching the Battle of Azanulbizar I noticed that the dwarf right next to Thorin looks an awful lot like Jackson's hobbling dwarf cameo. Plus there are two of them, one next to Thorin and one to the left, and then a third one enters the shot as the camera spins around. I'm fairly certain the entire shot is CG, and I thought it was funny (in a good way) that Jackson might have put himself into the charge as a duplicated CG dwarf.

Image is here.

For reference here's the earlier cameo.

(This post was edited by Bishop on Feb 21 2015, 12:04am)

Name
Rohan

Feb 21 2015, 1:12am

Post #2 of 10 (994 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

But notice that the other bare-headed dwarf on the far left (of the first image) looks almost exactly the same. So that might have just been the basic digital design they used. Whether it's supposed to be Jackson I don't know.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

(This post was edited by Name on Feb 21 2015, 1:13am)

Bishop
Gondor

Feb 21 2015, 2:13am

Post #3 of 10 (946 views)
Shortcut
Indeed, that was my point [In reply to] Can't Post

I think all the Dwarves here are digital, and yes the one next to Thorin is clearly the same as the one on the left (in the first pic), as well as the third one that enters the frame in the film in the same shot. I was just curious if anyone knew if it was a design based on Jackson in full makeup. It looks so much like him, especially in motion.

Name
Rohan

Feb 21 2015, 2:15am

Post #4 of 10 (924 views)
Shortcut
Ah sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

Must've misunderstood a little bit there.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Feb 21 2015, 3:22am

Post #5 of 10 (943 views)
Shortcut
Yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good spot!! That's him alright. I never noticed that before.

Bishop
Gondor

Feb 21 2015, 3:36am

Post #6 of 10 (921 views)
Shortcut
Seeing as you're good with carrot man [In reply to] Can't Post

This shouldn't be an issue! Laugh

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Feb 21 2015, 4:00am

Post #7 of 10 (910 views)
Shortcut
No issue. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love carrot man ^_^ Anyway, that's a wrap, Bishop. I assume you got my last messages.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 22 2015, 6:09pm

Post #8 of 10 (723 views)
Shortcut
Shame there's so much obvious cloning in these crowd scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

Remembering the effort put into Weta's 'Massive' software in Lord of the Rings, where each individual was randomized to create a sense of uniqueness. Different proportions and heights and tones and armour and weapons - and different fight styles and behaviors were all generated by their "orc builder" tech.

Here they seem to have just cloned around 5 variations and said "that'll do". It does seem a bit lazy, especially the elves in BoFA, they all look like mannequins. Frown

I suppose it's difficult to generate thousands of unique human faces, but I think they needed to add in more variations to make it less obvious. For example, by giving the crowd the faces of all the animation team. It would be a cool way to give everyone a cameo, while keeping the large crowds diverse. Ah well. It's just too much work, I guess.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Feb 22 2015, 6:11pm)

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 22 2015, 8:07pm

Post #9 of 10 (704 views)
Shortcut
Based on the commentaries and extras [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it was too much work for the time they had.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2015, 8:37pm

Post #10 of 10 (652 views)
Shortcut
I love the shot of Thranduil on his elk mount in AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

surrounded by his clone army.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.