The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Peter Jackson vs JRR Tolkien
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Syndra

Feb 23 2015, 7:53am

Post #26 of 39 (703 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson vs J R R Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo I could not agree more, I also dislike the way that people call New Zealand Middle earth. I think people should remember Middle Earth is an area called Sarehole, an area near Birmingham.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2015, 1:08am

Post #27 of 39 (688 views)
Shortcut
Ah the mountains of Sarehole.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The great waterfall of Moseley Bog, the vast forests of Yardley Wood stretching as far as the eye can see, the sweeping grassland plains away to the North beyond the A34.

Once visited people would know the truth.....

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 24 2015, 9:41am

Post #28 of 39 (694 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting and worth remembering as Tolkien's connection to Sarehole is, I think you'd be hard put to find much of Middle Earth there!

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 24 2015, 12:31pm

Post #29 of 39 (678 views)
Shortcut
childhood [In reply to] Can't Post

when your a kid things seem much bigger and more wild! i know youre a film fan but please lets not take tolkiens childhood away from him, you wern't there,its an important part of the story and its what sowed the seed.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 24 2015, 2:05pm

Post #30 of 39 (675 views)
Shortcut
Oh come on - taking Tolkien's childhood away???.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Melodrama aside, it isn't even possible. And for what it's worth, I'm older than Peter Jackson and was a Tolkien fan devouring books about him as well as by him decades before I'd even heard of PJ and his films. As a kid I used to wish I was brave enough to write to Tolkien, but I never was. Take a deep breath:

I'm a Tolkien fan who finds infinite joy in Peter Jackson's films because I love the books. OK?

I'm a Tolkien fan who finds infinite joy in Peter Jackson's films because I love the books.

When Tolkien was a child Sarehole and the countryside around it was far more wild than it is today. And he loved it and of course it did help to shape his imagination. But it isn't the only influence. It isn't Middle Earth - though the Sarehole he knew still flourishes in quiet corners of the Shire. Sarehole didn't give him mountains though, or Wilderland, or Gondor, or Dale, or Rivendell. You won't find Lothlorien at Sarehole, or Menegroth or Gondolin - or the Grey Havens. It's not the only place that lays claim to be Middle Earth: really they're just ingredients in the soup - the real magic happened when he brought them together.

You don't own Tolkien, bb, and you're not the only person here who respects what he achieved

joec_34
Rivendell

Feb 24 2015, 2:57pm

Post #31 of 39 (641 views)
Shortcut
That has to be sarcasm...I hope.// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 24 2015, 3:44pm

Post #32 of 39 (674 views)
Shortcut
hm [In reply to] Can't Post

i dont claim to own tolkien what a ridiculous statement! youre the one who is dismissing his early inspirations!

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2015, 4:20pm

Post #33 of 39 (663 views)
Shortcut
Scratching my head a little. [In reply to] Can't Post

From where do we have the idea that Sarhole is Middle Earth, which is apparently being dismissed?

Tolkien described it as an inspiration for Hobbiton, but not (as far as logic or his other quotes) as inspiration for Middle Earth as a whole - obviously, I would have thought.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 24 2015, 5:30pm

Post #34 of 39 (639 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien said Switzerland [In reply to] Can't Post

his visit there was a Major influence TOO!

Bom imagines JRRT's visit was all done by train....

Bom also knows PJ read the LOTR on a
TRAIN from Wellington to Auckland, TOO

SSOoo there is some
SOME symmetry there.

It could be that riding along looking out Windows
at the Landscapes rushing by, that is Truly Inspirational
since it is like Reading a Book about people going about
their business,
Farming, or going to
Funerals...

IT's also like a Movie running past your NOSE
Pressed up against your Window.

Same Inspiration! jus'
Different media, in a
Different Time Frame,

separated by about 40+ years.
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 24 2015, 6:07pm

Post #35 of 39 (644 views)
Shortcut
Well, there were many inspirations for Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

and as his mental map that he refers to places Hobbiton in the Oxford region, I wonder if his adult experiences also strongly influenced that development. Its a complex tracery of places and experiences.

And why is being both a book fan and a film fan such a bad thing? I don't get the disdain. Should the books lie dust-covered on the shelf, and we all avert our eyes? They aren't sacred or cursed texts, they were written to be shared (granted, with the author's own trepidation) and I'm glad the films brought them to the larger world. It always makes me very happy to hear that film has brought people to read the books. I know many people in person and online who have had this experience. And those books can change lives, for the better. So I see it as worthwhile. Anyone who doesn't like the films has this neat option: don't watch them. Read the books instead. I feel lucky to enjoy both.

And its quite impossible to take away anyone's childhood unless you have a time machine. Wink

dreamflower
Lorien

Feb 24 2015, 8:03pm

Post #36 of 39 (613 views)
Shortcut
There's a big difference... [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson is still around, and so are most of those who worked with him. Let them receive all the acclaim they can. They worked hard for it. I am quite sure that if JRRT were still among us, there would be those who would want to so honor him. He is not, though he receives plenty of post-humous honor.
But JRR Tolkien was a modest man, who from all accounts, and his own statements, did not particularly enjoy the perks of fame. He was in fact baffled by it, and by the phenomena known as "fandom". I suspect he would have hated glittery Hollywood parties and would have had something snarky to say if someone asked him "who are you wearing?" Wink

Some people call it fanfiction. I call it story-internal literary criticism.

rakshi

Feb 24 2015, 9:28pm

Post #37 of 39 (627 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for saying what I've been thinking and feeling for 15 years.

Smile

shadowdog
Rohan

Feb 25 2015, 12:55am

Post #38 of 39 (585 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

I am also older than Peter Jackson and read and reread and enjoyed Tolkien for 40 years before I heard of Jackson. I enjoyed his movies; but the books will always be number 1 in my heart.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 25 2015, 4:00am

Post #39 of 39 (575 views)
Shortcut
That had to be a tongue in cheek comment....if not....wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.