Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Did Saruman's clothes become less white in movie?

Long Hammer
The Shire

Feb 20 2015, 2:08am

Post #1 of 5 (1572 views)
Shortcut
Did Saruman's clothes become less white in movie? Can't Post

In the book he obviously changes to "of many colors" but I always go back and forth on if the movie reflects that he is no longer white. Is it just me or does his outfit become a little more dingy after Gandalf reveals himself to Saruman when he frees Theoden

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 20 2015, 2:22am

Post #2 of 5 (1490 views)
Shortcut
The off-white is deliberate. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a hint that Saruman hasn't stayed true to the role given him by the Valar but has strayed from the 'path of wisdom', as Gandalf put it.

I don't remember where I got that information - either from Ngila Dickson in the FOTR EE appendices or from an interview with the filmmakers at the time.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 20 2015, 4:14am

Post #3 of 5 (1491 views)
Shortcut
fwiw: an old discussion about his costume [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=131247#131247

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 20 2015, 2:35pm

Post #4 of 5 (1458 views)
Shortcut
sad [In reply to] Can't Post

its one of a few little but to me big annoyances i have with the great lotr films, it would have been so easily done and self explainable to have sarumans white robes change to many colours, i love the writing for this in the book, and would have been a visual treat! andmakes perfect sense why gandalf comes back white!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 20 2015, 6:47pm

Post #5 of 5 (1454 views)
Shortcut
Not movie but… [In reply to] Can't Post

Book-

….and old man, swathed in a great cloak, the colour of which was not easy to tell, for it changed if they moved their eyes or if he stirred. –TT, The Voice of Saruman

Then it appears a great change took place after he was cast from the order of Istari by Gandalf.

… at sundown they overtook an old man leaning on a staff, and he was clothed in rags of grey or dirty white… -ROTK, Many Partings

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.