Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Will Thranduil be seperated with Legolas for eternity if he didn't go west?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 21 2015, 2:53pm

Post #26 of 33 (420 views)
Shortcut
Our Rembrethil hosted a wonderful discussion of the Athrabeth [In reply to] Can't Post

In December of 2013:

The Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth

I am with you, Mae Govannen. Love that piece.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 21 2015, 3:25pm

Post #27 of 33 (406 views)
Shortcut
So do I ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and I remember eavesdropping the discussion, it was such a good one

(This post was edited by dormouse on Feb 21 2015, 3:28pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 21 2015, 4:26pm

Post #28 of 33 (428 views)
Shortcut
that is one of the reasons that I regret... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... Christopher did not follow his father's explicit instruction to include the Athrabeth as an appendix to The Silmarillion. It would have given people, I think, a much more accurate understanding of the fates of the two kindreds.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

(This post was edited by Voronwë_the_Faithful on Feb 21 2015, 4:29pm)

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Feb 21 2015, 7:12pm

Post #29 of 33 (399 views)
Shortcut
i've just looked at the first couple of posts in that discussion [In reply to] Can't Post

and the issue of the possible longevity of men seems to fit in with other writing. By this i mean that maybe the long lived Numenoreans simply had their rightful life span restored., as men were created a certain way, just randomly increasing their life span as a reward seems to go against nature or Eru's will. This life extension could have simply been an undoing of whatever corruption by Melkor/Morgoth had occured.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 21 2015, 10:33pm

Post #30 of 33 (369 views)
Shortcut
Uncommonly happy to know you were reading along! // [In reply to] Can't Post

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2015, 10:01am

Post #31 of 33 (325 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the link, I'll definitely have a look! // [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2015, 10:36am

Post #32 of 33 (342 views)
Shortcut
How much do I regret that too! [In reply to] Can't Post

It made such a difference already for me when I read it at least where he put it, in the volume 'Morgoth's Ring' of HOME; but it would have been so much better had it been directly the first Appendix to 'The Silmarillion' itself as his father JRRT wanted it to be! I still don't understand why Christopher did it differently and relegated it to Home, which not so many people read... It would deserve now rather a publication on its own, as clearly an important Appendix to 'the 'Silmarillion' . Instead of that, it was the terribly tragic story of 'The Children of Hurin' that Christopher chose for a separate publication!!! ShockedUnsure
If i had the money and other means needed, i would publish 'the Athrabth' s soon as possible, so that everybody gets a chance to know it exists and can find it easily to finally read it! Such a beautiful and promising Dialogue...Heart

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2015, 6:43pm

Post #33 of 33 (323 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

..now I have to go find it........

I have some of the HoME stuff, but apparently not all of it!

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.