The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dol Goldur orc...Original Bolg design?

Longbottom Leaf
Lorien

Feb 19 2015, 1:59am

Post #1 of 8 (951 views)
Shortcut
Dol Goldur orc...Original Bolg design? Can't Post

I was just wondering about that scene in BOTFA when the orc at Dol Goldur takes Gandalf from his cage and tosses him to the ground uttering the menacing words "DIE NOW WIZARD!" Was this orc the original design for Bolg? I seem to remember a picture of Bolg from before the films came out that looked similar to this orc. Either way I must say that this guy, to me, was much more threatening and frightening than both Bolg and Azog in both voice and appearance. Don't get me wrong, I thought they were both pretty good but I didn't really fear them. The Dol Goldur orc kinda scared me even though we only saw him for about 3 seconds. Anyway, I wonder why they scrapped the design.

The finest weed in the southfarthing!

Legolas_Shoehorn
Bree

Feb 19 2015, 9:16am

Post #2 of 8 (623 views)
Shortcut
In the AUJ EE Behind the scenes stuff ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... PJ claims design problems for abandoning the full prosthetic Bolg (and Azog).

But perhaps it was caused mostly because of the 3 film split. It was easier to create a CG Bolg (and a CG Azog) instead
of getting the actors back on set.

It was nice to see the real Bolg for a few seconds. Poor Conan Stevens Unsure

My English is not that good, my Elvish is better ;-)

sycorax82
Rohan

Feb 19 2015, 4:08pm

Post #3 of 8 (539 views)
Shortcut
He's a reminder of how good the movies could have been... [In reply to] Can't Post

Imagine if they'd kept this design/character and also followed up the Beorn subplot? Could have been so amazing!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 19 2015, 5:52pm

Post #4 of 8 (503 views)
Shortcut
Bomby for one is TOTALLY Glad he only makes a Brief [In reply to] Can't Post

Appearence...for these Reasons

1. "Range of Movement", as a Former Gymnast
it was perfectly Clear that Characters, to have
Serious One-on-Ones, they needed to extend
their Limbs into a.. Full Range of Movement.

Likely Conan Stevens could NOT, { if it was
Stilll Him} in.. his Elaborate Monkey SUIT...

2. The Possibility of him wearing "ALL THAT"
would have been a disaster... to Create Elaborate
CGI...

3. Having Manu & Mister Tui as Azog & Blog
as STRIPPED Down Monsters ready to
Perform much more Efficiently as Fighting
MonsterMachines.

4. The Battle Scars brought a "LEVEL of UGLY"
never seen before...

5. The Self-Inflicted "SCARology" on AZOG
in particular portrayed.. many THINGS...
....a. "I'm too Tough for Woundzz even? Self-Inflected".
....b. PAIN was his Friend?
....c. He was REALLY proud of his "Albino ORC" Status.

Couldn't have been more PLEASED, since when it
Came to
Climactic
Conclusion on the Icy River....even getting
CLOSE to Drowning...the ICEY Water
didn't Phase HIM one bit?
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2015, 7:04pm

Post #5 of 8 (495 views)
Shortcut
What could have been... [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so many changes involved with the Azog/Bolg subplots. It makes you wonder what the original plan for them really was. Bolg probably was supposed to fight Beorn, which is why they bothered adding those bear claws to his armor in the first place. I know they shot a lot of the Battle of Five Armies stuff pretty late anyway, so the original Bolg/Beorn stuff probably never ended up even being shot before they rewrote it. It's a real shame because Bolg's little rivalry with Legolas felt so bland and forced. And seeing how Bolg would hold his own against a giant bear could have been much more interesting and exciting. Legolas has five movies to do crazy stunts. Why didn't they take advantage of a unique character like Beorn?

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Feb 21 2015, 10:57pm

Post #6 of 8 (376 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas has five movies to do crazy stunts. Why didn't they take advantage of a unique character like Beorn?

One of the things that truly burns me up about Jackson's handling of The Hobbit is his force-feeding Legolas down our collective throat simply because he feels the audience cares more about seeing some invented backstory for why Legolas hates Dwarves in LotR instead of seeing a character like Beorn expanded, a character who as you said is completely unique and actually plays a pretty substantial role in the book. I didn't mind that Legolas was included as it made sense (him being the son of Thranduil and all), but why did he have to have his own freaking character arc in a story that he didn't even appear in? Legolas should have been a cameo, not a main focus.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Feb 21 2015, 10:57pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 22 2015, 8:43pm

Post #7 of 8 (355 views)
Shortcut
Bom will state again....The Lack of Beorn is.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Because it is SSOoo...violent that He was cut short
since what he does to the ORCS?

Would have pushed the Movie from a PG-13
into the REALM of "R" Rating...

Bom can picture Beorn ripping apart ORCs
in Half, Smashing them Together, like the ENTS did
@ Isenguard,
Slicing and REALLY DICING them
to pieces & Bloody parts.

Bom is SURE of it...Yet
bom has been wrong
before.

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2015, 9:39pm

Post #8 of 8 (348 views)
Shortcut
Even if that is the case... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'm still not happy about characters like Legolas, Azog, Tauriel, and Alfrid getting such massive roles while book characters like Beorn, the Dwarvish company, Dain, and the Master of Lake-town had such miniscule roles.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Feb 22 2015, 9:40pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.