Legolas vs. Other Elves
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Sebastian the Hedgehog
Rivendell

Feb 18 2015, 6:17am

Post #1 of 28 (1536 views)
Shortcut
Legolas vs. Other Elves Can't Post

Legolas is known for having keen eyesight and hearing. Is this special for him or are these common traits among elves? Or is it perhaps due to the fact that he is a warrior for the Woodland Realm, in which case other elf warriors would possess the same qualities? Any book references would be appreciated!

Nerven
Rivendell

Feb 18 2015, 1:56pm

Post #2 of 28 (1305 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas is actualy nothing compared to those mighty first age elves, like Galadriel, Elrond, Glorfindel and those in Aman, Fingolfin for example, who wounded Morgoth 7 times.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 18 2015, 2:17pm

Post #3 of 28 (1307 views)
Shortcut
One comes quickly to mind… [In reply to] Can't Post

In my upcoming ‘Fellowship of the Ring’ discussion Chapter 12, Glorfindel is able to read the “evil things” on the hilt of the Morgul knife that stabbed Frodo, whereas Aragorn was not.

I’m sure you’re probably asking about distance vision… but….

Elthir
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2015, 2:45pm

Post #4 of 28 (1313 views)
Shortcut
There's a keen sighted Elf in Gondolin... [In reply to] Can't Post

... if I recall correctly his name was Laigolas "green-leaf" or Legolast "keen-sight"... but perhaps both were his names, as it was said at one point that the Noldor delighted to give similar sounding names of dissimilar meaning (and in that light, Legolas, the ordinary form, is a confusion of the two).

Anyway he lived in Gondolin and was night sighted.

Sorry, I couldn't resist Smile

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Feb 18 2015, 3:40pm

Post #5 of 28 (1296 views)
Shortcut
Where does he get it from? [In reply to] Can't Post

His father's feats barely compare to what Legolas has done; he has super mario skills. I don't even think any of the high Elves has been portrayed as much as his skill level...lol

Of course, that's the movie.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 18 2015, 10:19pm

Post #6 of 28 (1291 views)
Shortcut
I've always found it interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

... how Legolas is often singled out in The Passing of the Grey Company, a chapter in which two other elves, Elladan and Elrohir, are also present.

Here are a few examples:

The light was still grey as they rode, for the sun had not yet climbed over the black ridges of the Haunted Mountain before them. A dread fell on them, even as they passed between the lines of ancient stones and so came to the Dimholt. There under the gloom of black trees that not even Legolas could long endure they found a hollow place opening at the mountain’s root, and right in their path stood a single mighty stone like a finger of doom.

The company halted, and there was not a heart among them that did not quail, unless it were the heart of Legolas of the Elves, for whom the ghosts of Men have no terror.

But when the dawn came, cold and pale, Aragorn rose at once, and he led the Company forth upon the journey of greatest haste and weariness that any among them had known, save he alone, and only his will held them to go on. No other mortal Men could have endured it, none but the Dúnedain of the North, and with them Gimli the Dwarf and Legolas of the Elves.

Maybe it's simply because he is a more prominent character or maybe it's nothing, but it's something that stands out for me whenever I read this chapter.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 18 2015, 10:38pm

Post #7 of 28 (1259 views)
Shortcut
Good points BlackFox … [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if it could have anything to do with Elladan and Elrohir being Peredhil and not yet having made “the choice”?

Hmm… Did the brothers have ALL the characteristics of the truly Elven being but “Half-elven”?
But, yes, Legolas does get all the press. . .Shocked

Just wondering . . . and a thought.. Cheers!

BG

CuriousG
Half-elven

Feb 18 2015, 10:55pm

Post #8 of 28 (1261 views)
Shortcut
I find that chapter odd, honestly [In reply to] Can't Post

Singling out Legolas as the only Elf who is seemingly present makes me stop and think, "So what about Elrond's sons? Did Tolkien forget they were there?" They were Elvish enough to be immortal to this point, and their mother was pure Elvish, so regardless of their choice in the future, they were living as Elves, as Arwen did until she made her choice. So were they afraid like mortal men, or as brave as Legolas, or somewhere in-between? And given their exalted bloodline, shouldn't they have been braver/more powerful than Legolas?

squire
Half-elven

Feb 18 2015, 11:00pm

Post #9 of 28 (1269 views)
Shortcut
I would agree that Tolkien generally forgets about Elrond's beaming boys. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never been sure what role they play in the story, given that he introduces them early on (Book II) then takes the time to bring them back for this segment. They're absolute blanks as characters, and then there's questions like this one that have no answer.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 19 2015, 1:27am

Post #10 of 28 (1266 views)
Shortcut
The brothers are background characters. [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't hear much about the Rangers in this section, either. The focus is entirely on the three main characters.

I think a good in-story reason is that these three presumably told their stories to Frodo, Sam, or whoever acted as the historian here, whereas the others were not interviewed for their perspectives.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 19 2015, 3:09am

Post #11 of 28 (1245 views)
Shortcut
Or could it be that Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

or Sam or Frodo (if you choose) preferred to follow the members of the Fellowship and understandably give them preferential and extended treatment (most especially if this part of the history was written by Sam or Frodo).

Glancing through the chapter I find Halbarad mentioned a couple times before their entry into the Paths of the Dead, and again at the Stone of Erech; and Elladan mentioned once inside and once outside near the source of the Morthond. I find nothing of Elrohir in this chapter except being one of the sons of Elrond, before entry into the Paths. So they all weren’t completely discarded, but certainly, as you say “background characters”.

Maciliel
Valinor

Feb 19 2015, 3:38am

Post #12 of 28 (1238 views)
Shortcut
would it be blasphemy...? [In reply to] Can't Post

would it be blasphemy to say that i think tolkien forgot about them?

he was a master, but not infallible.

perhaps a thread he meant to spin into a (slightly) larger strand, but never got around to it?

conversely, they get as much face time / presence as arwen, their sister. arwen figures large in the story not because of the size of her part, but as an essential figure to be won if the kingdom of arnor and gondor is to be successfully restored.

perhaps if dame ioreth and elrohir fell in love, and elrond would not allow the marriage until dame ioreth successfully completed the quest for albino athelas, elrohir might feel more important to the story.

cheers -- T

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Elarie
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2015, 2:39pm

Post #13 of 28 (1223 views)
Shortcut
A question about Elven eyesight and the Faery realm [In reply to] Can't Post

This thread came along at a very opportune time and addresses something I've been wondering about since yesterday. I'm reading "Tolkien: Man and Myth" and there is a quote in it from "Smith of Wooten Major" that makes me question the way I've previously understood the superior eyesight of the elves (and I do think it's all elves, just because Aragorn mentions it - "keen are the eyes of the elves" during the chase after Merry and Pippin). Smith enters Faery, and the quote is "There the air is so lucid that eyes can see the red tongues of birds as they sing on the trees upon the far side of the valley..."

In the past I just assumed that elves had "better" eyes than people, but my understanding of Tolkien's elves also includes the idea that one of their innate characteristics is that they "walk" or "exist" in both worlds at once, our world and Faery. If so, then the superior eyesight of elves has nothing to do with their biological, physical eyes, but is because they are always seeing through the eyes of the world of Faery, the true world behind the world, so to speak.

Any thoughts?

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2015, 6:09pm

Post #14 of 28 (1213 views)
Shortcut
whose eyes were like cats for the dark... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as I remember...

and he was Noldorin.

And in my copy, it was spelled Legolas. (from those earlier forms, of course)

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2015, 6:17pm

Post #15 of 28 (1196 views)
Shortcut
my first thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

is that Legolas is the Elvish representative for the reader. He's the only one we spend time with, travel with, so he becomes an icon of Elvishness. We expect the others to be similar (of course, as living beings, they are not homogenous!). But I think he is "a fairly typical young Elf" as some reviewer noted.

For me, the characteristics that endeared him to me were; his closeness to the natural world ("they are not supernatural... in fact they are far more natural than we..." said Tolkien, somewhere); his being the sidekick to a Mere Mortal (Ok, soooo, he gets to be the King that saves Middle Earth from Impending Doom), setting aside his Princelyness and Immortalness to support Strider and the others... (see also: Finrod, who lays down his crown to assist Beren on an impossible quest)(and see also: Voronwe who leads a Mere Mortal into the Hidden Kingdom and aids him as a sidekick)(also Beleg...)(Tolkien had this habit of setting Awesome Immortals up as sidekicks to his Mortal heroes).

With few visuals to go on as I read the books for the first time, I glommed onto this character pretty much because everything he said or did was something that resonated with me.

The "superpowers" demonstrated by Legolas were subtle, as was "magic" in general in LOTR. That poked the whole world of Middle Earth just a notch beyond ordinary reality, and made it far more understandable, far more believable.

To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2015, 6:20pm

Post #16 of 28 (1190 views)
Shortcut
interesting.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there, he embodies the spiritual, the Light...

The Company is going into great Darkness, darkness of the spirit as well as of the world, and for some of it, the Elf is so rooted in the Light that he knows the Dark is transitory and powerless.

In other situations, it is so utterly Dark, that it affects even him.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2015, 6:26pm

Post #17 of 28 (1204 views)
Shortcut
now there's an idea.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't thought of that!

I think it's possible. Tolkien was always writing on some spiritual level. And leaving things open enough for "applicability", or the interpretation of the reader.

It may be more of a kind of spiritual sight.

Like the walking on snow thing. it's not because he weighs less. It's like those martial artists in Crouching tiger... dancing among the bamboo fronds or flying over houses... it's a spiritual/energy manipulation thing.

Elthir
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2015, 6:50pm

Post #18 of 28 (1204 views)
Shortcut
Green-leaves [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And in my copy, it was spelled Legolas. (from those earlier forms, of course)

Yes it's spelled Legolas in the early Fall of Gondolin proper. It's only in notes that Tolkien plays with the idea that the name of this Elf is really Laigolas Legolast, and that he was called Legolas from a confusion of his two real names.

My post in answer to this thread was a bit tongue in cheek, since the question was about Legolas of Mirkwood. Tolkien surely borrowed the name (from his own earlier writing) Legolas for this character in The Lord of the Rings, and ultimately gave the name a different etymology to not only fit the new language scenario, but the Silvan circumstance of Legolas' home (Laigolast Legolast existed in the language called Gnomish)...

... but it's also interesting that his name was once related (in a sense) to a name meaning "keen sight", given the question.

For myself I tend to doubt this Elf from the early Gondolin tale was going to retain the name Legolas, but as Tolkien only revised the story up to a point... well if so (if I guess right), we will seemingly never know the new name!

Although maybe it would have been Laegolas of Gondolin, considering that in the new scenario this was the true Sindarin form of the name, with Legolas being the result of a Silvan dialect.

Another guess at what Tolkien might have done, although the true Sindarin form itself is attested.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2015, 7:22pm

Post #19 of 28 (1187 views)
Shortcut
sometimes I wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

what would have developed in Middle Earth if Tolkien had had more time....

as it was, he gave us a classic.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2015, 8:52pm

Post #20 of 28 (1199 views)
Shortcut
Walking on snow [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always wondered about the "lightness" of the elves and the walking on top of the snow. Perhaps the keen elven eyesight and the clarity of vision that Tolkien describes in the land of Faery comes from that Bible verse, "For now we see through a glass darkly..." (just a thought) but I can't figure out at all where the weightlessness comes from or what it means. Unless maybe it's just Tolkien's way of saying that mortals live in the physical world and immortals live in the spiritual world and are "above" the physical. ???

(I'm guessing that something as noticeable as snow-walking has been discussed before but if so I missed it or I've forgotten, so sorry if this is a repetition.)

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 20 2015, 4:04pm

Post #21 of 28 (1169 views)
Shortcut
in martial arts films [In reply to] Can't Post

...which tend to stretch the reality of the arts...

you often see "wire-fu".. think Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, where the kung-fu artists are leaping over houses like Superman, having swordfights in the tops of swaying bamboo, and other wonders of "weightlessness".

You see a real version of this in things like parkour; real world people doing impossible things.

Martial arts are full of that sort of "mind over body" thing. The basic concept is that you are moving energy (in tai chi, you can feel your hands heat up, tingle... you can feel the position of someone else's hands, or their body, with your eyes closed if you are good. It's alll about energy.

I remember some film (again, a fantastic exaggeration of martial arts skills) in which the hero runs over water.

I think it was Marco Polo who wrote that he observed flying or levitating monks.

At any rate, there is a tradition, both in myth and in reality, of skilled martial artists being able to go beyond the "normal" bonds of gravity.

I think after many centuries of practice, you could walk on snow, no problem.

and energy and spirit are intertwined

HeWhoArisesinMight
Rivendell

Feb 20 2015, 5:30pm

Post #22 of 28 (1166 views)
Shortcut
I think the film you are referring too... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is "Hero," which stars Jet Li. I know it's a bit off topic, but it was a great martial arts movie (there is a fantastic fight between Li and another character over a lake, stunning visuals where they both run on water during a swordfight).

Anyway, your analogy is good. Like how you pulled out a different genre to make your point.

Might makes Right!

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 21 2015, 12:07am

Post #23 of 28 (1151 views)
Shortcut
Also sensei Chung in Remo Williams. [In reply to] Can't Post

"To do this, you must run very fast."

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 21 2015, 2:21pm

Post #24 of 28 (1133 views)
Shortcut
"To do this, you must run very fast." [In reply to] Can't Post

David Carradine as Kwai Chang Caine in Kung Fu always ambled very slowly but carried a Big Fist… MadMad

Pow! Wham! Socko! Laugh

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 21 2015, 4:26pm

Post #25 of 28 (1137 views)
Shortcut
ah yesssss! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hero was one of a "trilogy" of unrelated Chinese martial arts films that came out within a short time of each other: Crouching tiger Hidden Dragon; House of Flying Daggers; Hero. all were fantastic. (I have a particular fondness for Jet Li, Chow Yun Fat and Michelle Yohe)

The one I was thinking of was a more silly fun thing where the wannabe hero is fed a bowl of rice a day and eventually learns to run on water. Oh, ack, it was Remo Williams! (I just googled martial arts film funny running on water) Sly

And different genres often have much in common! It seems to me that many Chinese martial arts films have the sort of mythology we see in LOTR, reality tweaked and pushed just a bit.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.