The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Two Towers CR going for wha???

Lindele
Gondor

Feb 16 2015, 10:32pm

Post #1 of 9 (1614 views)
Shortcut
Two Towers CR going for wha??? Can't Post

Years ago I had the foresight to buy extra copies of all three complete recordings and leave them in their wrapper...right now TTT is going for $3,600 new!!!! man that is tempting.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 10:35pm

Post #2 of 9 (1503 views)
Shortcut
They're out of stock and third party dealers are basically gouging [In reply to] Can't Post

However, Doug recently hinted (via a tweet) that there might be 'movement' coming in regards to the CRs. I posted about this in a thread on main Bomby started about the Hobbit soundtrack recently if you want to find a link to Doug's tweet.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Lindele
Gondor

Feb 16 2015, 10:38pm

Post #3 of 9 (1492 views)
Shortcut
I did see that from Doug [In reply to] Can't Post

to me these are more valuable than the $$$ i can get out of them anyway.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 10:48pm

Post #4 of 9 (1492 views)
Shortcut
no way would I sell them... [In reply to] Can't Post

it had never occurred to me, actually.

I only think of the flip side, people wanting to buy them but they can't.

Maciliel
Valinor

Feb 17 2015, 1:38am

Post #5 of 9 (1479 views)
Shortcut
i bought an extra copy [In reply to] Can't Post

i bought an extra copy of ROTK CR for +myself+, in case my original ever wears weary.

i long to do the same with FOTR and TT, but not yet.

i remember when these first came out they were, like, $30+ each!!!

i agree with you, magpie. when i see these reseller prices, it makes me sad to think of all the people would would love to have this astounding music, and cannot, because of the crazy pricing.

btw... doug has tweeted such hints before (that you have relayed)... but nothing has been forthcoming for one or two years... are you hopeful that this year reissues might come to fruition?

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 17 2015, 3:54am

Post #6 of 9 (1465 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't aware he'd tweeted anything like that in the past. And he's one of four people I'm following!

But maybe I missed it or forgot.

I think, though, he's gotten much more cautious about what he says for lots of reasons. So the fact that he said anything makes me think something is afoot.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Feb 17 2015, 6:09am

Post #7 of 9 (1489 views)
Shortcut
I'm somewhat mystified that these have so long been out of print... [In reply to] Can't Post

For titles such as these, you'd think they'd have, at least occasionally, put out more copies. I'm even more mystified that only RotK is available on iTunes. It makes no sense whatsoever that the first two CRs wouldn't be available on there.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Feb 17 2015, 6:10am)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Feb 17 2015, 6:36am

Post #8 of 9 (1470 views)
Shortcut
thankful for RotK [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just glad that RotK is at least on iTunes, otherwise I wouldn't have the songs from disc 3. The copy I ordered came with a third disc that had some random rock music on it. The printed label was correct, but somehow it didn't actually have the correct songs. I've never heard of that happening before, and of course it had to be on an already expensive and virtually impossible to replace set...

I never realized the other two weren't on iTunes because I never thought to check. I already own both physical sets, and thankfully they don't have any ridiculous errors. I'm not sure why they're not on iTunes though. You'd think having all three collections on at the same time would be a no brainer...

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 17 2015, 5:26pm

Post #9 of 9 (1503 views)
Shortcut
I suspect ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that the complicated packaging the physical sets used have made it an expensive prospect to reissue. Especially since the market for these may not be all that high - as much as we fans may think they may be. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised that, if they are reissued, the packaging is changed. Is there still much market for that extra audio DVD disc? A lot of people didn't want it when they bought the sets years ago.

It's also possible that they are reworking the liner notes in some manner. A) Doug rewrote/reworked them for his book and he may wish to update the liner notes version and B) those liner notes were so impossible for me to read that I actually typed them out so I could read them without a strong light and magnifying glass.

I kid you not.

Those are speculations of mine based on following the score for all these years and being on the periphery of marketing in a different commercial area.

I can't think of any reason why the two sets aren't available as mp3 downloads unless there's some party involved (rights - wise) that doesn't want to sign off on it. Sometimes there can be many hands in the pots and if one balks, it can hold up on things like syndication (for tv shows) and offering digital versions of various media.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.