First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 1:13am

Post #1 of 85 (1846 views)
Shortcut
Live from TORn... it's the 'what have you been watching' thread Can't Post

What have you been watching.

I'm watching the Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary show. What are your favoriteskits or character? Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake just did an amazing rap review of many of mine.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 16 2015, 4:26am

Post #2 of 85 (1535 views)
Shortcut
Arabian Nights [In reply to] Can't Post

2000. Hallmark mini-series, not bad, not great. Andy Serkis had a small part.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 16 2015, 6:38am

Post #3 of 85 (1527 views)
Shortcut
The Story of the Jews (Simon Schama) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm up to part three and enjoying it very much so far, as I have enjoyed all of Schama's programmes.

smtfhw
Lorien

Feb 16 2015, 8:42am

Post #4 of 85 (1534 views)
Shortcut
Films this weekend... [In reply to] Can't Post

Father-in-law died a week ago and we're in the midst of funeral arrangements, etc so we needed something to laugh at/about. Hence a trip yesterday to the local cinema to see Sean the Sheep... Brilliant! Utterly brilliant! I love the Aardman people so much - they're utter geniuses...

http://shaunthesheep.com/

(This post was edited by smtfhw on Feb 16 2015, 8:43am)

Niniachel
The Shire

Feb 16 2015, 9:05am

Post #5 of 85 (1546 views)
Shortcut
OOOooOWEEEEEOOOOoo [In reply to] Can't Post

Doctor Who! I reluctantly started watching it last summer, and then bingewatched the entire rebooted series in a month. Now I'm slowly watching it again, taking my time to get all the subtleties.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Feb 16 2015, 1:13pm

Post #6 of 85 (1518 views)
Shortcut
Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all, the special dealt with the elephant in the room - the fact that the show has sadly lost several cast members through the years who passed far too young from various causes. It didn't skirt over the fact that everyone was painfully aware that Gilda Radner and John Belushi weren't there to reprise Roseanne Rossanadanna and Jake Blues, and that their absences hurt. They and others were appropriately acknowledged several times throughout the night without becoming too morbid about it.

They did a pretty good job of giving shout-outs to some of the show's classic moments, with new Celebrity Jeopardy and Wayne's World skits. Even the Landshark made an appearance (how could he not have - you know everyone was waiting for it!) My favorite section was the tribute to the show's many musical spoofs, with Operaman's special new "aria" for the occasion, Steve Martin dusting off King Tut once again, Bill Murray's "Love Theme from Jaws" and finally Dan Aykroyd and John's brother Jim reviving the Blues Brothers for a rousing finale of the segment.

It would have been fun to see a new Coneheads sketch, but naturally with the show already being 3 1/2 hours long it was obvious why they narrowed things down to one performance per cast member/guest star/musician. I don't think anyone could complain, with all four decades of the show well represented.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 2:13pm

Post #7 of 85 (1569 views)
Shortcut
I did not watch the SNL special. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure it was nice, but I have to ask: Are we going to have another SNL 40th Anniversary Special in seven months when we reach the actual anniversary? And might it actually be on a Saturday?

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 3:23pm

Post #8 of 85 (1514 views)
Shortcut
I only was able to watch a bit of SNL [In reply to] Can't Post

And what I did see was great fun :) I'm not up on the last 15 years or so... but geez it was good to see the old stuff.

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 3:27pm

Post #9 of 85 (1498 views)
Shortcut
I had a tiny hope ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that Howard Shore would appear. But honestly, I wonder how many people watching last night would remember his involvement in the show and Paul Shaffer is a much more 'popularly' recognizable face.

I hadn't realized that Tom Davis had died. He was surprise in the memorial section.

I'm not sure I could quickly come up with a favorite moment or phrase that didn't make it into the show. Except for one of Howard's 'All X Band' skits.

Howard Shore's All-Nurse Band

Howard Shore's All-Monster Band

Howard Shore's All-Bee Band

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 3:28pm

Post #10 of 85 (1518 views)
Shortcut
a nice touch... [In reply to] Can't Post

when Dan Ackroyd was doing his bassomatic commercial was the old Harvest Gold blender.

I practically do a shout out whenever I see Harvest Gold or Avacado appliances. They were so 70s.

Annael
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 3:56pm

Post #11 of 85 (1503 views)
Shortcut
Harvest Gold! [In reply to] Can't Post

A phase I'm very, very happy did not last.

A friend of mine had a theory that these "harvest" colors evoked feelings of abundance to the children of the Great Depression , which is why our parents all decorated with them.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Feb 16 2015, 3:57pm)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Feb 16 2015, 5:50pm

Post #12 of 85 (1478 views)
Shortcut
Lots of stuff: [In reply to] Can't Post

Movies - A Single Man, very stylish, well acted and sad. I felt bleak afterwards.

Guardians of the Galaxy, cute, imaginative, fun but I can't quite say I loved it.

Will Penny, an often under-rated western from the '60s with an atypically unhappy but honest ending. Charlton Heston is actually really good in this, and I've always loved Joan Hackett. Highly recommend (it's on Netflix).

The Imitation Game - I was pleased that though he's playing yet another sociopathic genius, Ben C. didn't remind me of Sherlock once. Though it was very hard for me not to hear Tywin Lannister speaking whenever Charles Dance spoke. Keira K. was also terrific; in fact, I think the best scenes were the ones between her character and BC's Alan Turing. Overall, a really good flick though I don't think BC will win the Oscar this time around.

TV - Fraid I missed SNL's 40th special but it sure has gotten lots of coverage so I hope to catch up on YouTube. Smile

Binge-watching Outlander - really enjoying it though I think it falls just short of greatness. The Scottish scenery is awe-inspiring, everything feels very authentic, and I think Graham MacTavish as Dougal is actually the most complex and interesting character of everyone. I have some issues with the heroine Claire who at times comes across as too much the romance novel cliche. Then Jamie appears, and I forget all about it. Blush

Also binging on Friends on Netflix. The laughs are all still there the way I remember them plus new unintended ones -- those '90s clothes and hairstyles and the phones and computers! What strikes me most what a great cast Friends had. I mean the central six had such amazing chemistry, it was hard for guest actors to blend in with them. Though I loved Teri Garr as Phoebe's birth mom. Casting perfection to a T.

Also caught most but not all of Richard Armitage's seasons on Spooks before it disappeared from Netflix. RA was as good as you'd expect him to be but the weakness in the show's premise is that while it's okay to speed through the weekly geopolitical crisis, you can't do that successfully with the characters' personal lives, at least as far as Lucas North was concerned. Sarah Caulfield? Please! Also, possibly the worst performance of an American by a Brit ever. Never bought into Maya either though I missed seeing all her episodes.

Still hanging in there with Downton Abbey. (*sigh*) Getting really frustrated with the redundant story lines, endless melodrama at big fancy dinners and characters who should be changing and maturing but aren't (I'm looking at you, Mary.). Violet and Isobel's conjoined stories are about the only ones I'm enjoying. Except for the whole brush-up over the Marigold scandal and the flaming classicism exhibited by Edith, her granny and her aunt towards the Drewes which may be historically accurate but really makes me dislike them. And disliking the Dowager Countess just doesn't feel natural!

"If not us, who? If not now, when?" HeforShe

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 5:56pm

Post #13 of 85 (1462 views)
Shortcut
lol on Sarah Caulfield [In reply to] Can't Post

I KNOW if I found some of my posts about those later seasons of MI5, I'd find my ranting even heartier about her accent.

I'm sure it's the worse I've heard.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 5:58pm

Post #14 of 85 (1455 views)
Shortcut
nice article comparing 2001: A Space Odyssey and Interstellar [In reply to] Can't Post

http://observationdeck.io9.com/...9091453/+laurendavis

as always with io9, the comments are just as interesting and insightful as the ariticle.

If you've seen both films and at least moderately like either or both - and you like to read about films - I'd recommend the article.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Feb 16 2015, 6:02pm

Post #15 of 85 (1471 views)
Shortcut
M*A*S*H is on Netflix! [In reply to] Can't Post

At least the first 5 seasons. I have the DVDs but some of them came damaged and after a few fruitless attempts to rectify that situation I gave up. Now I can just pull them up and watch. My favorite episode is still Deal Me Out - one of the many poker games but the funniest of them all! Laugh

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

NottaSackville
Valinor

Feb 16 2015, 6:31pm

Post #16 of 85 (1455 views)
Shortcut
Fargo [In reply to] Can't Post

We binge-watched the Fx series over the last few weeks. We'd recorded it at the time but it was languishing on our DVR. The recent award season prompted us to watch it, and boy are we glad we did. Now we're eagerly looking forward to season 2!

Billy Bob Thornton plays a character that is so evil, so vile, and yet, really so gosh darn likable that it makes him even scarier.

And, of course, it was also fun seeing Bilbo Baggins in a good movie. Wink

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Kim
Valinor

Feb 16 2015, 8:18pm

Post #17 of 85 (1477 views)
Shortcut
That's a lotta stuff! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Movies - A Single Man, very stylish, well acted and sad. I felt bleak afterwards. Yeah, I had kind of the same reaction. Well done, but sad.

Guardians of the Galaxy, cute, imaginative, fun but I can't quite say I loved it. I thought this was a lot of fun, don't have to take it seriously, and can just go with it. Was rocking out to the soundtrack in my car yesterday.

Binge-watching Outlander - really enjoying it though I think it falls just short of greatness. The Scottish scenery is awe-inspiring, everything feels very authentic, and I think Graham MacTavish as Dougal is actually the most complex and interesting character of everyone. I have some issues with the heroine Claire who at times comes across as too much the romance novel cliche. Then Jamie appears, and I forget all about it. Blush This arrives on Netflix March 3, looking forward to catching up with everyone else.

Also binging on Friends on Netflix. The laughs are all still there the way I remember them plus new unintended ones -- those '90s clothes and hairstyles and the phones and computers! What strikes me most what a great cast Friends had. I mean the central six had such amazing chemistry, it was hard for guest actors to blend in with them. Though I loved Teri Garr as Phoebe's birth mom. Casting perfection to a T. I should check this out to catch up on the stuff that gets cut out of the re-runs on tv. One of my favorite series ever.

Also caught most but not all of Richard Armitage's seasons on Spooks before it disappeared from Netflix. RA was as good as you'd expect him to be but the weakness in the show's premise is that while it's okay to speed through the weekly geopolitical crisis, you can't do that successfully with the characters' personal lives, at least as far as Lucas North was concerned. Sarah Caulfield? Please! Also, possibly the worst performance of an American by a Brit ever. Never bought into Maya either though I missed seeing all her episodes. OK, don't get me started on Sarah's "accent" - gawd awful! And yeah, I hear you on Maya, she was just kind of blah. Kind of a bummer Richard didn't have better characters to play off of.

Still hanging in there with Downton Abbey. (*sigh*) Getting really frustrated with the redundant story lines, endless melodrama at big fancy dinners and characters who should be changing and maturing but aren't (I'm looking at you, Mary.). Violet and Isobel's conjoined stories are about the only ones I'm enjoying. Except for the whole brush-up over the Marigold scandal and the flaming classicism exhibited by Edith, her granny and her aunt towards the Drewes which may be historically accurate but really makes me dislike them. And disliking the Dowager Countess just doesn't feel natural! I feel like things are picking up, and while I agree with you on the whole Edith storyline, I did like Violet's comment to Mary about being compassionate - I'm kind of tired of Mary's attitude and constant sniping. At least Rose and Atticus are sweet. But poor Isobel - how awful for her to receive such a reaction from Lord whosit's jerk sons.

#OneLastTime

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Feb 16 2015, 8:36pm

Post #18 of 85 (1508 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I was really glad to hear Violet's reproach of Mary, as well [In reply to] Can't Post

It's about time!

But I'm still in a huff over the decision to off Isis which we know is only because of her unfortunate name. Mad

Didn't know Outlander was coming to Netflix next month. Have you read any of the books? I have not. Hopefully, a nice discussion thread will pop up on this board.

Kim
Valinor

Feb 16 2015, 8:43pm

Post #19 of 85 (1570 views)
Shortcut
You can say that again! [In reply to] Can't Post

I cheered at that comment. Yeah, the Isis thing is a little weird, but if you think about it, the dog would be pretty old in the show-verse, so at least it makes sense.

I've read the first 4 Outlander books, then gave up shortly after starting the 5th. I loved the first, liked the second, loved the third, liked the fourth, but didn't like the direction the story was going, so I finally gave up. I wasn't too sure about watching the show, but have read so many great comments, I've decided I'd like to check it out. I don't have Starz, so have to wait patiently.

#OneLastTime

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 8:44pm

Post #20 of 85 (1575 views)
Shortcut
We went to see "Fifty Shades of Grey" [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, I'll admit it: I loved it. On a fantasy level. I get all the stuff people are saying about him being a stalker-y control freak, and it could be trigger-y for people who've had to deal with people like that. It's definitely not for everyone. But I loved it as a fantasy. I loved the feisty deadpan-snarker heroine. And I loved Uncle Baggins' comments. When she first finds the playroom, he whispered to me, "He sure has a lot of devices." (A reference to Barbarella.)

I didn't get a crush on the hero, but I was amused that his way of speaking and facial expressions reminded me a lot of the Mr. Darcy from the Lizzie Bennet Diaries.

I've been reading the books too (kindle had a special where you could get a bundled set of all three for $15). They're not great literature, but the people complaining about the writing apparently haven't read many romance novels. They're up to the usual standard, and that's good enough for me. I'm finding them to be unputdownable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Feb 16 2015, 8:53pm

Post #21 of 85 (1545 views)
Shortcut
Fifty Shades is on my To Read list [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm in no big hurry. And I'll pass on the movie because Jamie Dornan's baby face kind of creeps me out as a guy into bondage. I read a review, I think it was The Guardian, that described him as being "hobbit-faced!" But I do not judge anyone who enjoys this kind of stuff. To each their own. Angelic

"If not us, who? If not now, when?" HeforShe

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 9:21pm

Post #22 of 85 (1462 views)
Shortcut
He was OK in the part, but [In reply to] Can't Post

she was amazing. I really loved the subtle expressions on her face.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 9:51pm

Post #23 of 85 (1478 views)
Shortcut
Oh. Boy. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've been reading the books too (kindle had a special where you could get a bundled set of all three for $15). They're not great literature, but the people complaining about the writing apparently haven't read many romance novels. They're up to the usual standard, and that's good enough for me. I'm finding them to be unputdownable.

My wife actually found a couple of snippets from the book and, for our mutual amusement, read them aloud. I admit they were out of context; I can say that the heroine was in Grey's kitchen perusing his, um, cookbooks. It was bad. Outrageously, howlingly, ridiculously bad. I-was-almost-reduced-to-tears bad. Literally, the worst writing I have ever seen or heard bad.

If this is the level of writing in the romance novels that you read, Auntie, please keep them away from me!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 16 2015, 9:56pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 9:53pm

Post #24 of 85 (1441 views)
Shortcut
I checked out Dornan's filmography after seeing him in Once Upon a Time [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought he was dreamy in there.

The way they've styled him for 50SoG just killed all the dreaminess for me. It's my taste, I'm sure. I like a bit of tousled curls and a beard way more than that bland (to my eyes) cleancut look.

I agree with the baby face comment by Grey Elf.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Feb 16 2015, 9:54pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 16 2015, 10:13pm

Post #25 of 85 (1446 views)
Shortcut
I read the books, [In reply to] Can't Post

but not planning on seeing the movie. I can't really describe what bothers me about the story without spoiling the ending, so I'll just say the stalker-y control freak is not the biggest problem for me.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.