View Results (33 votes)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Feb 15 2015, 11:03pm

Post #1 of 23 (1328 views)
Shortcut
If you were dared to eat a live worm Can't Post

for a million dollars, would you?

My daughter has posited this to me and her father. For them the answer is a swift "Yes!" For me, it is a firm and immediate "No." My self-respect cannot be bought for any amount of money or at least I hope so. Either that or I'm an idiot. What say you? Would you perform a demeaning act of Smeagol for major coin? I hope I'm not alone in my attitude so weigh in, folks!

Na Vedui
Rohan

Feb 15 2015, 11:18pm

Post #2 of 23 (1209 views)
Shortcut
Birds don't know any better [In reply to] Can't Post

... than to eat creatures alive, but human beings should do. And no living creature should be deprived of its life for a whim.

Bofur's Hat
The Shire

Feb 16 2015, 12:24am

Post #3 of 23 (1205 views)
Shortcut
Yes for me, but [In reply to] Can't Post

Bwith all the money I would start a worm sanctuary dedicated to the brave worm that I ate... just kidding I would just buy some lotr sword replicas, a trip to New Zealand, and save the rest for when I need it.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 16 2015, 2:03am

Post #4 of 23 (1194 views)
Shortcut
I see your point... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and even agree somewhat (on the principle that there are things I would not do for $1,000,000).

But eating a worm just does not cross that line for me. I suspect it was on the menu for my stone age ancestors.

Konrad S
Lorien

Feb 16 2015, 5:01am

Post #5 of 23 (1178 views)
Shortcut
As long as it was not poisonous or too big for my mouth [In reply to] Can't Post

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 16 2015, 5:16am

Post #6 of 23 (1184 views)
Shortcut
I ate ants and grasshoppers during survival training. [In reply to] Can't Post

So I could probably manage a worm.

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 16 2015, 6:22am

Post #7 of 23 (1193 views)
Shortcut
Only if I actually needed to [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely not for money. I couldn't care less what I would look like if I did it, but I prefer to avoid killing anything unnecessarily.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 16 2015, 9:47am

Post #8 of 23 (1182 views)
Shortcut
For a million dollars... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure I would. Even if that would get me labelled as someone who lacks self-respect.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 1:19pm

Post #9 of 23 (1212 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dollars are pretty useless in the UK.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 2:06pm

Post #10 of 23 (1163 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Dollars are pretty useless in the UK.

You've never heard of exchange rates?

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 2:17pm

Post #11 of 23 (1176 views)
Shortcut
But $1 million < £1 million. [In reply to] Can't Post

Why would I exchange it? I don't want to be short-changed! If I eat a worm, I want 1 million as promised! Evil

Konrad S
Lorien

Feb 16 2015, 2:19pm

Post #12 of 23 (1156 views)
Shortcut
1 us dollar= 7 Swedish crowns. 1 Million= 7 Million swedish crowns !YAY! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 2:19pm

Post #13 of 23 (1205 views)
Shortcut
Life is tough. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you were in the U.S. you would lose roughly half of the mil. to taxes anyway. I would take the pounds.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 16 2015, 2:23pm

Post #14 of 23 (1172 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you would probably need even more than 1 million pounds. I would guess that in the UK, as in the US, a prize for eating a worm would be considered income, and be taxed accordingly!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 16 2015, 2:28pm

Post #15 of 23 (1150 views)
Shortcut
Oops! [In reply to] Can't Post

You post appeared after I started reading the thread.

Annael
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 4:07pm

Post #16 of 23 (1178 views)
Shortcut
I have to agree [In reply to] Can't Post

it would mean my family wouldn't have to worry about anything. I'd do it for that reason.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Feb 16 2015, 4:40pm

Post #17 of 23 (1130 views)
Shortcut
Personal circumstances of course directly influence one's answer [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps I should have qualified my question, "if you or your loved ones were financially secure," because if they were not, that would naturally dictate my having a different response as would anyone's, I'd guess. Or if the million $$ were to go to a charity of my choice, I would answer yes. (As long as I had a nice bucket to daintily barf in after the deed was done Tongue)

BUT my question was not on these conditions. Plain and simple, would you be willing to do something unnatural and degrading (and inhumane) for enough money? The polls currently seem to agree with me but few of these "nay" voters have posted the reasons for their choice. It would be great to hear from some of those people, too.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Feb 16 2015, 5:29pm

Post #18 of 23 (1143 views)
Shortcut
How about if it were only slightly alive? [In reply to] Can't Post

Mostly dead I could probably cope with. Wink

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Feb 16 2015, 8:57pm

Post #19 of 23 (1110 views)
Shortcut
You mean like a [In reply to] Can't Post

Monty Python and The Holy Grail worm: a Black Knightcrawler - "It's just a flesh wound!"

Cool

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 16 2015, 9:57pm

Post #20 of 23 (1098 views)
Shortcut
Dead escargot, on the other hand...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Donry
Tol Eressea

Feb 16 2015, 10:15pm

Post #21 of 23 (1098 views)
Shortcut
for free...no way... [In reply to] Can't Post

If it was a matter of life and death for me or a family member...absolutely......If there was money coming my way....definitely. I guess I'd start at $100.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 17 2015, 2:52pm

Post #22 of 23 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Yo! . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

All 10 (up to this point) that voted "No way!" are either liars or are already in Fat City and don't need the Do-Re-Mi.... Smile

To you vegans: Cauliflower has feelings too. Tongue

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2015, 6:32pm

Post #23 of 23 (1100 views)
Shortcut
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... [In reply to] Can't Post

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...

(while I appreciate the usefulness of all lifeforms, and the fact our gardens would be trash without these denizens of the earth, I cannot come near them....)

...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Feb 18 2015, 7:49pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.