Who Said It?

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 15 2015, 8:16pm

Post #1 of 10 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Who Said It? Can't Post

Who is up for a game?

Below are 22 anonymous quotes from interviews ranging throughout the production of The Hobbit movies. Can you guess who said it? Virtual points are given for virtual(ly) correct answers. Extra points are given if you can elaborate on the context of the quote, and even more points if you can guess the interview it was taken from.

It's just a bit of fun, but it is tricky. I have put them in chronological order for a bit of help. I will post the answers in a couple of days. I've tried to pick some interesting quotes/interviews; so even if they aren't guessed correctly, the quotes/interviews should spark some interesting discussion (in retrospect).

1. July 2008:

That is the film we work the hardest on in the next six months. There are many more questions than there are answers. In my heart of hearts, I believe we found a way to do it.

2. August 2009

I was telling him for a long time to get out of that thing because there is only room for one captain on the ship.

3. October 2009

They're very, very, very alike. They also very different, but they've so much in common. They both can't stand Hollywood and have wonderful imaginations, and they're both obsessed with gore and fantasy. Both of them laugh a great deal.

4. October 2010

I did ask, 'Does this mean I can start eating pies now?' I love a good pie! I'm about to go to the gym now actually, but you've got to have balance.

5. October 2010

My Mum, Dad and I organized a karaoke one night at a Korean restaurant and that was a blast! My driver Yvette, all the scale doubles, my double Venetia, the one ring’s Larry and the dialect coaches Leith and Sarah were all singing away into the wee hours of the morning to Britney Spears and Tina Turner.

6. March 2011

According to XXX, “I haven’t heard from anybody.” She also didn’t know that filming began today.

7. April 2011

And I'm excited to read the script. I'm very excited to see what they've done with "The Hobbit." They've stretched it out over the course of two films. I'm so curious as to what other elements they've woven in, because there are certainly additional works that refer to that same time period that they could weave into it. So I'm just very excited to sort of see what the ultimate vision is.

I was down there about a year ago, February, and I saw some of the design. This is when Guillermo [del Toro] was still attached. So I've seen a lot of the design work. I mean, it's extraordinary! And Alan Lee and John Howe are back in the art department doing designs for it. I think it's going to feel very familiar, and different as well.

8. May 2011

It's probably not going to work out with The Hobbit unfortunately. Because I would have been working for about a year on it and there were other projects that I was very interested in.

9. May 2011

Well, they saw my screentest for XXX, and Guillermo del Toro, who was going to direct it, he'd okayed it. He was keen that I play the part. I didn't know this, but I got it from the screentest. It wasn't until I went to see them for tea that I knew. They were asking my permission to be in it!

10. January 2012

I’m playing XXX through motion-capture and XXX the XXX, which is a character in the Five Legions War or something which I’m meant to understand. He’s not actually in the original Hobbit. It’s something [Peter Jackson]’s taken from Lord Of The Rings that he wants to put in there.

11. June 2012

I think because my character does spend a lot of time onscreen and you really have to understand what he's going through emotionally, it became clear that if we started make the prosthetic as close to my features as possible but still make him a dwarf, it would be much easier to read the character.

12. July 2012

I’m covered in armour, its like wearing a Volkswagen. Dunno how I’m supposed to fight with it on.

13. July 2012

The movie explains where Gandalf goes; the book never does. We’ve explained it using Tolkien’s own notes. That helped inform the tone of the movie, because it allowed us to pull in material he wrote in The Lord of the Rings era and incorporate it with The Hobbit.

14. August 2012

I'm a homebody, I like to put my feet up and I like the comforts of home. I'm not much of an adventurer, so I've always related to the hobbits and the story of Bilbo Baggins is the ultimate hobbit story.

15. October 2012

There are inevitably bits that you'll wish you were better in, but Peter Jackson is a very skilled director and he knows Middle Earth better than anybody else.

16. November 2012

We got especially designed rings inscribed on the inside ... very secret stuff you understand, not to be spoken of outside the group ... oops.

17. November 2012

I understood that I had his blessing, and I had to follow my own way with it, really. Well, like everything he does, he's a brilliant actor.

18. March 2013

Yeah, I did. I went on opening day to see it. I was actually in Argentina, and I went with a bunch of kids and their parents. It was kind of a party atmosphere, it was fun, it was in 3-D, and they had popcorn. I enjoyed it. In particular it was nice to see some of the landscapes I remembered. It was a nice trip down memory lane, where we’d shot near some of the places where I’d gone camping or fishing.

19. January 2014

Oh! When you say man-up – I screamed all the way down. I had a panic attack on the way down. I couldn't breathe. Yeah. Yeah. It’s all on tape… I didn't man-up at all!

20. January 2014

And I didn't have any sleep since then so I'm still exhausted. Nothing changes.

21. December 2014

Some people love that moment, some people got very confused by it. I know that it was a strong thematic connection that became the head-scratcher for people.

22. December 2014

I actually think the young girls are going to start watching this 1, 2, 3 and they're going to start wondering where she is.

Smile

Lonely Mountain
The Shire

Feb 15 2015, 10:43pm

Post #2 of 10 (666 views)
Shortcut
Great idea [In reply to] Can't Post

4. October 2010

I did ask, 'Does this mean I can start eating pies now?' I love a good pie! I'm about to go to the gym now actually, but you've got to have balance.

Stephen Hunter

6. March 2011

According to XXX, “I haven’t heard from anybody.” She also didn’t know that filming began today.

Liv Tyler on whether she was in The Hobbit

11. June 2012

I think because my character does spend a lot of time onscreen and you really have to understand what he's going through emotionally, it became clear that if we started make the prosthetic as close to my features as possible but still make him a dwarf, it would be much easier to read the character.

Richard Armitage about his prosthetic as Thorin

17. November 2012

I understood that I had his blessing, and I had to follow my own way with it, really. Well, like everything he does, he's a brilliant actor.

Martin Freeman about Ian Holm and playing Bilbo

21. December 2014

Some people love that moment, some people got very confused by it. I know that it was a strong thematic connection that became the head-scratcher for people.

Doug Adams about the Nazgul theme in AUJ

22. December 2014

I actually think the young girls are going to start watching this 1, 2, 3 and they're going to start wondering where she is.

Philippa Boyens about Tauriel. The question was if she and Peter Jackson were sad that there are characters in The Hobbit films that they cannot put in the LotR films.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 15 2015, 11:06pm

Post #3 of 10 (665 views)
Shortcut
I'll give it a go.... some of it, at least..... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. don't know, but I guess Philippa Boyens

2. James Cameron

3. No idea

4. Stephen Hunter?

5. The date rules out the only answer I can think of.....

6. Wasn't XXX Cate Blanchett?

7. Sounds like one of the returning actors. Elijah Wood maybe?

8. Don't know

9. Is that Martin Freeman?

10. Benedict Cumberbatch

11. Richard Armitage

12. Billy Connolly?

13. Philippa Boyens?

14. Martin Freeman?

15. No idea

16. Probably a dwarf - how about Graham McTavish?

17. Don't know

18. Viggo Mortensen

19. Adam Brown?

20. Peter Jackson?

21. Don't know

22. Peter Jackson.

There are five there I think I know. Just five - but it was fun guessing!

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 15 2015, 11:21pm

Post #4 of 10 (651 views)
Shortcut
Correction to #5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks dormouse. The date for that quote should be July 2012.

5. July 2012

My Mum, Dad and I organized a karaoke one night at a Korean restaurant and that was a blast! My driver Yvette, all the scale doubles, my double Venetia, the one ring’s Larry and the dialect coaches Leith and Sarah were all singing away into the wee hours of the morning to Britney Spears and Tina Turner.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 15 2015, 11:39pm

Post #5 of 10 (620 views)
Shortcut
In that case.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say
5. Evangeline Lilly

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 16 2015, 1:40am

Post #6 of 10 (602 views)
Shortcut
Games? We loves games! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. July 2008:

That is the film we work the hardest on in the next six months. There are many more questions than there are answers. In my heart of hearts, I believe we found a way to do it.

My guess, Guillermo del Toro. Simply because this was during his time as director.

2. August 2009

I was telling him for a long time to get out of that thing because there is only room for one captain on the ship.

No idea...

3. October 2009

They're very, very, very alike. They also very different, but they've so much in common. They both can't stand Hollywood and have wonderful imaginations, and they're both obsessed with gore and fantasy. Both of them laugh a great deal.

Again, no idea. But "they" might be Jackson and del Toro.

4. October 2010

Steven Hunter? His was certainly not a role anyone would need to slim down for...

5. October 2010

The older daughter of James Nesbitt, who played Sigrid? It must be a female cast member, and I can't imagine what other one would have her parents around and organizing Karaoke..

6. March 2011

I'm trying to guess who XXX is. Cate Blanchett? She probably came in later so might not have known when filming started...

7. April 2011

And I'm excited to read the script. I'm very excited to see what they've done with "The Hobbit." They've stretched it out over the course of two films. I'm so curious as to what other elements they've woven in, because there are certainly additional works that refer to that same time period that they could weave into it. So I'm just very excited to sort of see what the ultimate vision is.

I was down there about a year ago, February, and I saw some of the design. This is when Guillermo [del Toro] was still attached. So I've seen a lot of the design work. I mean, it's extraordinary! And Alan Lee and John Howe are back in the art department doing designs for it. I think it's going to feel very familiar, and different as well.

Orlando Bloom?

8. May 2011

It's probably not going to work out with The Hobbit unfortunately. Because I would have been working for about a year on it and there were other projects that I was very interested in.

I would guess, Martin Freeman. It took rearranging of the filming schedule for him to be able to play the part, since he had signed on to do "Sherlock".

9. May 2011

Well, they saw my screentest for XXX, and Guillermo del Toro, who was going to direct it, he'd okayed it. He was keen that I play the part. I didn't know this, but I got it from the screentest. It wasn't until I went to see them for tea that I knew. They were asking my permission to be in it!

No idea...

10. January 2012

I’m playing XXX through motion-capture and XXX the XXX, which is a character in the Five Legions War or something which I’m meant to understand. He’s not actually in the original Hobbit. It’s something [Peter Jackson]’s taken from Lord Of The Rings that he wants to put in there.

Manu Bennett? Just because mocap and something the something sounds like Azog to me...

11. June 2012

Aidan Turner? (Thinking of Dwarves who have less prosthetics....)

12. July 2012

I’m covered in armour, its like wearing a Volkswagen. Dunno how I’m supposed to fight with it on.

Richard Armitage?

13. July 2012

The movie explains where Gandalf goes; the book never does. We’ve explained it using Tolkien’s own notes. That helped inform the tone of the movie, because it allowed us to pull in material he wrote in The Lord of the Rings era and incorporate it with The Hobbit.

Philippa Boyens? Sounds like a screenwriter,not Peter, and Fran Walsh never does interviews, that I can recall.

14. August 2012

I'm a homebody, I like to put my feet up and I like the comforts of home. I'm not much of an adventurer, so I've always related to the hobbits and the story of Bilbo Baggins is the ultimate hobbit story.

Peter Jackson.

15. October 2012

There are inevitably bits that you'll wish you were better in, but Peter Jackson is a very skilled director and he knows Middle Earth better than anybody else.

Richard Armitage?

16. November 2012

We got especially designed rings inscribed on the inside ... very secret stuff you understand, not to be spoken of outside the group ... oops.

Graham McTavish?

17. November 2012

Martin Freeman, discussing Ian Holm. (Guess, because he's playing the one character that has been played by someone else in Jackson's ME films).

18. March 2013

Yeah, I did. I went on opening day to see it. I was actually in Argentina, and I went with a bunch of kids and their parents. It was kind of a party atmosphere, it was fun, it was in 3-D, and they had popcorn. I enjoyed it. In particular it was nice to see some of the landscapes I remembered. It was a nice trip down memory lane, where we’d shot near some of the places where I’d gone camping or fishing.

19. January 2014

Oh! When you say man-up – I screamed all the way down. I had a panic attack on the way down. I couldn't breathe. Yeah. Yeah. It’s all on tape… I didn't man-up at all!

20. January 2014

Peter Jackson?

21. December 2014

OK. I think "it" is the healing scene in DoS, so I will say Evangeline Lily.

22. December 2014

Peter Jackson. ("she" is Tauriel, who is never seen in LotR).

Maciliel
Valinor

Feb 16 2015, 4:15am

Post #7 of 10 (598 views)
Shortcut
maciliel answers [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1. July 2008:

peter jackson

2. August 2009

phillipa boyens

3. October 2009

ian mckellan

4. October 2010

stephen hunter

5. October 2010

cate blanchett

6. March 2011

evangeline lily

7. April 2011

christopher lee

elijah wood

8. May 2011

guillermo del toro

9. May 2011

piers brandebent

10. January 2012

manu bennett
11. June 2012

richard armitage

12. July 2012

billy connolly

13. July 2012

ian mckellan

14. August 2012

elijah wood

15. October 2012

ian mckellan

16. November 2012

james nesbitt

17. November 2012

martin freeman

18. March 2013

viggo mortenson
19. January 2014

graham mctavish

20. January 2014

ian mckellan

21. December 2014

doug adams

22. December 2014

phillipa boyens

Smile

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 17 2015, 5:37pm

Post #8 of 10 (473 views)
Shortcut
Throwing my hat in the ring [In reply to] Can't Post

1. July 2008:

Peter Jackson

2. August 2009

??

3. October 2009

Phillipa Boyens

4. October 2010

Grahm McTavish

5. October 2010

Mary Nesbitt

6. March 2011

??

7. April 2011

Richard Armitage

8. May 2011

Either Guermo or Martin - I'll go with Martin

9. May 2011

Aidan Turner?

10. January 2012

Manu Bennet

11. June 2012

Richard or Aidan, I'll go with Richard

12. July 2012

Billy Connelly - sounds like something he'd say

13. July 2012

Peter or Phillipa

14. August 2012

Sounds like something PJ would say

15. October 2012

??

16. November 2012

James Nesbitt

17. November 2012

Martin Freeman

18. March 2013

Viggo Mortensen

19. January 2014

Aidan Turner - this is the only one I'm sure of, I remember the interview. He was talking about parachuting.

20. January 2014

Peter for sure

21. December 2014

What momment?

22. December 2014

I actually think the young girls are going to start watching this 1, 2, 3 and they're going to start wondering where she is. No idea, and couldn't scroll down either.

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 18 2015, 8:58pm

Post #9 of 10 (431 views)
Shortcut
Who Said It? - Answers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to everyone who played - I hope it was a fun guessing game. I was surprised by how many were guessed correctly.

I've linked to the TORn threads, where you can the links to the interview. Is there anything that jumps out at you?

1. July 2008:

*Guillermo del Toro*

2. August 2009

*James Cameron*

3. October 2009

*Ian McKellen*

4. October 2010

*Stephen Hunter*

5. October 2010

*John Bell*

6. March 2011

*Liv Tyler*

7. April 2011

*Elijah Wood*

8. May 2011

*Saorise Ronan*

9. May 2011

*Sylvester McCoy*

10. January 2012

*Benedict Cumberbatch*

11. June 2012

*Richard Armitage*

12. July 2012

*Billy Connolly*

13. July 2012

*Peter Jackson*

14. August 2012

*Peter Jackson*

15. October 2012

*Martin Freeman*

16. November 2012

*Jed Brophy*

17. November 2012

*Martin Freeman*

18. March 2013

*Viggo Mortensen*

19. January 2014

*Aidan Turner*

20. January 2014

*Peter Jackson*

21. December 2014

*Doug Adams*

22. December 2014

*Philippa Boyens*

iduna
Rivendell

Feb 23 2015, 4:20pm

Post #10 of 10 (387 views)
Shortcut
Here are my guesses [In reply to] Can't Post

Sheesh, I don't hardly know! But I'll play....

1. July 2008: Guillermo del Toro?

2. August 2009 : Philippa Boyens

3. October 2009 : Philippa Boyens about Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro

4. October 2010 : Stephen Hunter?

5. October 2010 : Evangeline Lilly? (if the date is changed)

6. March 2011: Cate Blanchett?

7. April 2011 : Orlando Bloom (because filming began earlier so it can't be Andy Serkis)

8. May 2011: Guillermo del Toro

9. May 2011 : Martin Freeman

10. January 2012 : Benedict Cumberbatch

11. June 2012 : Richard Armitage

12. July 2012 : Billy Connolly!

13. July 2012 : Philippa Boyens

14. August 2012 : Peter Jackson

15. October 2012 : Martin Freeman

16. November 2012 : Graham McTavish

17. November 2012 : Martin Freeman about Ian Holm

18. March 2013 : Viggo Mortensen?

19. January 2014 : Adam Brown?

20. January 2014 : Luke Evans?

21. December 2014 : Richard Armitage? About the final battle with Azog?

22. December 2014 : Philippa Boyens

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.