Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Do you think it childish to get Dwarven braids if you're a man over 25?

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Feb 15 2015, 3:54am

Post #1 of 17 (1390 views)
Shortcut
Do you think it childish to get Dwarven braids if you're a man over 25? Can't Post

Dwarven/Thorin style braids.

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Feb 15 2015, 3:55am)

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Feb 15 2015, 11:55am

Post #2 of 17 (1003 views)
Shortcut
Nope! Of course, it might depend [In reply to] Can't Post

what line of work you are in and whether there's any sort of 'hair code' attached to that, but in general, if you want to do it and are prepared to field some comments, go for it. It's just another form of personal expression. Also, I think it's good to see a man celebrate having hair, and having some fun with it; so many men go for the short crop these days. Why not make the most of it while you have it, if there's a chance you're going to go bald later in life! We will, of course, expect pictures...

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 15 2015, 12:57pm

Post #3 of 17 (985 views)
Shortcut
Certainly not! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know a man who has gorgeous blond dreadlocks down to his waist. He looks amazing. He can get away with such a look in his line of work because he is a gardener. Unfortunately, people are judged by their appearance when it comes to work (and I suppose to other things as well).

And I love long hair on men in general. I'm afraid those short crops (probably often disguising balding) do nothing for me.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Feb 15 2015, 1:06pm

Post #4 of 17 (1020 views)
Shortcut
Depends how dateable / employable you want to be. [In reply to] Can't Post

* crunch *

Elarie
Grey Havens

Feb 15 2015, 1:20pm

Post #5 of 17 (970 views)
Shortcut
Not at all! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it sounds fun and attractive.

Just be prepared for all those silly elf lovers to mistake them for elf braids. Unsure You might have to grow a beard and braid that, too, just to set them straight. Smile

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 15 2015, 4:49pm

Post #6 of 17 (930 views)
Shortcut
No, go for it [In reply to] Can't Post

Love longer hair and in my area it's the cool artistic people, various scientists, and various tech types who have it.

Then we have our shaved-head suit types zzzzzzzzz. Of course, you might have a job that demands a "conservative" look.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2015, 6:00pm

Post #7 of 17 (1008 views)
Shortcut
braaaaaaaaaaaaaids [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the things people have done for millennia is use hair as an artistic statement.

As an artistic female, I like men with long hair (though I generally like the Elvish look, personally).

I love it when someone does something unique and wonderful with their hair design. Do some research on what actually works with your body/face/life, but have fun with it.

Sadly, many of our places of employement expect a certain appearance, a certain uniformity (bleah). But that's been the way throughout history, your hair, clothes and decorations said something about your culture, your place in life, your job, your skills, your history.

Art... films, books, stories... is there to inspire us.

Who knows, it may start a fashion trend.

So much cooler than stick chick barbie and her friends.

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 15 2015, 6:22pm

Post #8 of 17 (919 views)
Shortcut
or maybe who you want to date or work for [In reply to] Can't Post

My style in men can radically differ from my friends and long hair in men is something I'm always attracted to.

as for employment, throw in a couple of hipster clothing nods and you could get a job easily in Minneapolis (and I assume Portland from what I see on TV! - which seems a lot like Minneapolis)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 15 2015, 6:31pm

Post #9 of 17 (948 views)
Shortcut
I've known a few men in my day who wore braids [In reply to] Can't Post

none of them were or seemed childish. I also know lots of guys with huge beards (but not hipsters) and long hair. They all have good jobs, productive lives, and most have families.

They were comfortable in their style/lifestyle choices. They weren't seeking to impress anyone or worried about looking weird. They just went with what they liked.

If you're going to second guess yourself, don't do it. But if you can own your own preferences, then why not?

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Dwarewien
Rohan

Feb 15 2015, 9:32pm

Post #10 of 17 (908 views)
Shortcut
Not at all... [In reply to] Can't Post

my mom doesn't like men with long hair, since it reminds her of inmates (she used to work in a correctional facility), but not me. I love men with long hair! Sometimes I wish the men of our day and age would take a hint from the men of Middle-earth. I imitate Thorin's hairstyle myself (well, the hairstyle he has in the prologue minus the braids, since my hair's finally long enough). One of the natives around town recently cut his hair off. When I saw him, I was tempted to say: "You should have left it long, who cares what society thinks?" It should be more socially accepted. Workplaces should allow guys to wear their hair back in a ponytail if they don't want to cut it. I cry every time my mom cuts my hair too short. Like the dwarves, I like to play with my hair, and I'd look like a guy if I had RA's actual style, so I'll stick with Thorin's, thank you very much.Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 16 2015, 6:35am

Post #11 of 17 (939 views)
Shortcut
I'm not going to answer that question [In reply to] Can't Post

for fear of incriminating myself.
But I will say, do what you like and feel good about what you do, bearing in mind any restrictions that may be upon you in work life etc.

As an aside, for those bemoaning the 'shave my head because I am going bald' look, perhaps they might prefer a return to the stylish solution previously employed by fashion forward blokes:

I know what I prefer.

smtfhw
Lorien

Feb 16 2015, 8:36am

Post #12 of 17 (863 views)
Shortcut
Nothing childish about it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Provided the hair in question is generally in good condition. A friend of mine wore his hair long for years but it looked dreadful because it was never trimmed so the ends were all split and broken and horrible and scrappy (OK, I didn't like it - you may have guessed). But well-cared for long hair is a glorious thing on a man in my opinion! Adding braids would make it more so I suspect.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 16 2015, 12:43pm

Post #13 of 17 (856 views)
Shortcut
If I had the luxury of growing my hair... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I would definitely give it a shot. As it stands, I need to be professional, and I wish I was more gutsy in college. Oh well!

I guess I'd say if you have the opportunity and you're comfortable doing it, got for it Smile

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 3:21pm

Post #14 of 17 (847 views)
Shortcut
Sweeeet! Go for it!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 3:28pm

Post #15 of 17 (873 views)
Shortcut
If you can pull it off... [In reply to] Can't Post

More power to ya!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Annael
Immortal

Feb 16 2015, 5:15pm

Post #16 of 17 (840 views)
Shortcut
braids on men are popular in my part of the woods [In reply to] Can't Post

Not just for the artists; the men of the local Native tribes often sport a single braid in back.

As a child of the 60s I like long hair on men as opposed to the buzzcuts that look military to me, but I also like the long hair to be tidy, so if it's pulled back either in a tail or braid, I'm for it.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 17 2015, 2:45am

Post #17 of 17 (869 views)
Shortcut
Why not? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tons of men of African descent have wonderful braids. I don't see many of othe ethnicities, but I'd rather like to. Keep it clean and trimmed and looking nice and I'm sure that the majority of the comments will be either curious or positive or both. Good luck! Would love to see pictures of the style once it's ready to go.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.