Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Hobbit Cast Happy Valentines’ Day image lard LOTS-OF-LUV (fun) thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 14 2015, 7:05pm

Post #26 of 61 (999 views)
Shortcut
And in response - his valentine to us: [In reply to] Can't Post

https://twitter.com/...s/566635559079411712

with this:

https://twitter.com/...s/566638542517194753

and, of course, this: https://soundcloud.com/...e/i-carry-your-heart

this: https://soundcloud.com/audible/bright-star

and this: https://soundcloud.com/audible/sonnet-116

Enjoy!

Edited to add: Can't forget this: http://www.weibo.com/...ke#_rnd1423877611538

I think it's supposed to read "Happy Valentine's Day, give all to love".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Feb 14 2015, 7:28pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 14 2015, 7:13pm

Post #27 of 61 (984 views)
Shortcut
What, you don't like [In reply to] Can't Post

chocolate-covered fisssh?

Tongue

Those chocolates are outstanding, what a variety, and how yummy they all look! Too bad they haven't developed "taste pixels" for computers, I'd start with the Irish cremes and coffee beans and salted caramels...but I have doubts about that chocolate-covered bacon...Crazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ilmatar
Rohan

Feb 14 2015, 9:12pm

Post #28 of 61 (982 views)
Shortcut
They have it all right :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Thorin, I'll join your Company in a heartbeat. Just let me get my sleeping bag and boots... Tongue

-------------------

Little ravens told me that there was an opening for syrupy poetry Angelic So here goes...

ODE TO THORIN

With his bearing so noble -
How could you help but fall
While all else may crumble
And it doesn't matter at all

With his voice so majestic,
Commanding - or gentle - and deep
Makes you shiver and wonder,
Obey, sigh, and weep

With his eyes like the sea,
Shades of clear summer sky
Make you fall to your knees,
Feeling breathtakingly high

With his mane of deep chocolate,
Wavy cappuccino with cream
Makes you yearn to touch,
Run thru' with your fingers and dream

For a touch, an embrace, a caress, or a kiss
What wouldn't you give up and not even miss?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Legal Disclaimer: The 'Ode', including but not limited to the last verse, exercises poetic license and does not necessarily reflect the personal views of the author.

Cool

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2015, 9:38pm

Post #29 of 61 (974 views)
Shortcut
So sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is such a sweet thread, Avandel! Great job!Smile

Like you were saying, love is such a big part of the ME stories, even if ME doesn't have a holiday specifically to celebrate love. There was a lot of love between all the people who made the movies too which I truly think that it shines through on screen and is one of the reasons I love the movies so much. And then there are all the people who love ME and the characters and are inspired by that love to create art and music and written things and there's just love everywhere!HeartHeartHeart

Speaking of love everywhere, here are some cute and silly LOTR valentines by Kumama on the website DeviantArt. Click the links under each pic for a bigger version.

(clicky)

(clicky)

(clicky)

(clicky)

And my personal favorite (not that I have a thing for Leggy or anything...Tongue):

(clicky)

SmileCoolAngelicLaugh

Alas, I tried to think of a poem or something else to add to the thread too, but nothing's coming to me.Unsure Oh well. Have some more hearts instead! ---->HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartSmile

"Your love is like radiant diamonds
Bursting inside us we cannot contain
Your love will surely come find us
Like blazing wild fires singing Your name.

God of mercy sweet love of mine
I have surrendered to Your design
May this offering stretch across the skies
And these Halleluiahs be multiplied"

-"Multiplied" by Needtobreathe

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2015, 9:43pm

Post #30 of 61 (974 views)
Shortcut
Chocolate covered bacon [In reply to] Can't Post

Blech!Crazy I don't understand why chocolate covered bacon is even a thing that people make. Yesterday, I was watching the Rachel Ray show and she made chocolate covered bacon as well as some kind of chocolate dipped sausage and cheese, and then on another show they topped a sweet dessert with candied bacon. Eeeeeew!CrazyPirate I just don't get it. I'd rather have a box of regular chocolates any day!

"Your love is like radiant diamonds
Bursting inside us we cannot contain
Your love will surely come find us
Like blazing wild fires singing Your name.

God of mercy sweet love of mine
I have surrendered to Your design
May this offering stretch across the skies
And these Halleluiahs be multiplied"

-"Multiplied" by Needtobreathe

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 9:59pm

Post #31 of 61 (964 views)
Shortcut
This should be set to music for next Valentine's Day! [In reply to] Can't Post

You have some skill! The we could all sing it and put it on You Tube!Evil

With his mane of deep chocolate,
Wavy cappuccino with cream

Indeed.TongueTongueTongue This deserves a PRECIOUS Thorin-smile...

And I can't let Valentine's Day go by without a post of what may be the most *beloved* hug in the history of cinema.
There's no way to know that. But it MIGHT be. At least in the top ten.CoolHeart

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 10:37pm

Post #32 of 61 (957 views)
Shortcut
ADORABLE Valentines - thank you for those! [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG so cute! Thank you for taking the time to post those!HeartHeartHeart

And LOL no worries, it turns out poetry is HARD, even silly limericks. It's always that last sentence that doesn't fit.Unsure

I went looking up a bit more, re elven feasts, and if there was anything in the elven world like Valentines' Day - and according to the Ask About Middle Earth blog re the Feast of Starlight:

There’s no mention in Tolkien’s writings of this particular feast, and in The Hobbit it’s just said that there was “a feast” that night - no details. Given the time of year, it was likely some sort of harvest festival, but it’s really not specified.
Of course, it’s perfectly possible (likely, even) that the elves had a special feast to celebrate the stars - the elves just love their stars. But if there was such a feast, Tolkien didn’t write about it.
(Also, in case anyone was interested: “Mereth" means "feast", and "Nuin Giliath" means "under stars." So, technically, Mereth Nuin Giliath means "Feast Under Stars.")

But personally I am sure if Professor Tolkien had known there would be so much interest in his world, he would have happily provided details of elven and dwarf special days. And it makes sense there would be a sort of fall festival or celebration. And if not a Valentine's Day in the elven world as such, I am sure there was a similar spring festival.

PS. Oh, I am quite fond of Legolas these day myselfHeart, seeing as how in BOFA it's one of my favorite sequences - Legolas shooting down those orcs, then Thorin tosses an orc over the cliff and saves Legolas, and then the final returning Orcrist saving Thorin. It was all so well done IMO, between these warriors in the film. Even if it took me several viewings to track what was going on.Cool It's awesome! - er, if not exactly Valentine-ish I guessCool. But I take it in real life OB and RA became good friends.Heart

And I am posting this because I love animals and can't stand not to!Heart

Aaaaawwwww. My heart melts....HeartHeartHeart Beautiful work too, wish I knew who the artist was.

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 10:56pm

Post #33 of 61 (955 views)
Shortcut
Those links are BETTER than any chocolate - what a voice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you. I can't even begin to pick a favorite, tho I have always loved Shakespeare and E. E. CummingsHeart. I would give a great deal to just go to a poetry reading by RA. *Sighs*Cool

Thinking of his fans on Valentine's Day too, to Tweet us. I had an early Valentine re-watching N & S last weekend "Look back. Look back at me..."HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart OMG.

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 11:07pm

Post #34 of 61 (947 views)
Shortcut
I can see it, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean maple & bacon for me is good stuff, like maple and sausages. But the chocolate-covered bacon I've had - it seems to start out tasting good, and then it becomes kind of cloying or something. And chocolate and cheese to me doesn't seem like a great combinationUnsureShocked

LOL, in any case, seems I have neglected some critical cast members, so how about:

I want these honey-chocolates.Heart

An elegant chocolate mint cocktail for an elegant Lady....

Chocolate liquor cups made with the wine of Elrond's choice

I think Bard isn't a FUSSY guy, and would be happy to share his Valentine chocolate pretzels!Heart

Elarie
Grey Havens

Feb 14 2015, 11:19pm

Post #35 of 61 (946 views)
Shortcut
That was wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for such a great Valentine's Day gift.

And Happy Valentine's Day to you, too! SmileHeart

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2015, 11:24pm

Post #36 of 61 (935 views)
Shortcut
Here's one for your N&S theme, Avandel [In reply to] Can't Post

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 11:29pm

Post #37 of 61 (932 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! and right back at you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope you have a STASH of chocolate and whatever else that will make the day and night a bit specialSmile. Picked up my raspberries, have chocolate (some good stuff *grins*), so I'm good.Angelic

(Tho now, I wonder what a $1000 cupcake tastes like?Cool)

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 11:37pm

Post #38 of 61 (936 views)
Shortcut
*THUD* [In reply to] Can't Post

Those EYES. And not like RA didn't outdo everyone in that *N&S last scene*... *Sigh*HeartHeartHeart.

But I'm trying not to SPOIL as myself and I think others are encouraging Ilmatar to watch N&S - she hasn't seen it yetShocked. All I can say to her is, kick everyone away, get into your favorite chair or sofa, turn the lights down, and just lose yourself for a few hours.HeartHeartHeart

Of course, one can do that with any of the Hobbit films, too.Cool

Ilmatar
Rohan

Feb 14 2015, 11:42pm

Post #39 of 61 (935 views)
Shortcut
Happy Valentine's Day to you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Avandel! Although the thought of hearing it as a song frightens me a little... Laugh

I would cast my vote for That Hug as one of the most beloved hugs... Heart And the image of Thranduil with the fawn, so sweet...! Evil

Here's another little thing just because, with even less finesse and more OTT tongue-in-cheek gushiness & squishiness ;) Then I'll shut up (about certain King at least) to make room for (the love for) other characters...!

---

O' mighty dwarven King of Hearts - Your charm is wild and pure
In near or distant realms and parts - All succumb to your allure

Your wondrous gaze is so intense - Its force so fiercely felt
That fans and thralls lose all their sense - So many hearts have melt

Your element: the raging Fire - Proud profile reflected by flame
Chiseled features all so admire - They put even elves to shame Wink

Your image haunts many a dream - Ladies and maidens blush
As thoughts may heat and gather steam - Turns fangirls' brains to mush

To the ends of the Earth and back again - Your quest they'd gladly follow
All those who've become so smitten - Any hardships they would swallow

Whether clean or messy, sweaty, soken wet or brooding -
Your countless swooning admirers find you absolutely stunning! Evil

Happy Valentine's to all Smile

Ilmatar
Rohan

Feb 14 2015, 11:45pm

Post #40 of 61 (933 views)
Shortcut
:D [In reply to] Can't Post

All I can say to her is, kick everyone away, get into your favorite chair or sofa, turn the lights down, and just lose yourself for a few hours.HeartHeartHeart

Thanks again - I think I'll do just that once I have the DVD... Angelic

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 15 2015, 12:07am

Post #41 of 61 (933 views)
Shortcut
And a Happy Valentine's to you [In reply to] Can't Post

Your wondrous gaze is so intense - Its force so fiercely felt
That fans and thralls lose all their sense - So many hearts have melt

Another WONDERFUL job - LOL you do know the cat's out of the bag now, we all know now that we have another writer on board *grins*. And we need to send all this to RA.Angelic

Re Thorin - well, what can I say? HeartHeartHeart

But I have the elves covered with some lovely work:

and *THUD*

Original by Pelegrin-tn on Deviant Art http://www.deviantart.com/...Erebor-end-512612101
and lots more Thranduil from this artist!

Ilmatar
Rohan

Feb 15 2015, 12:57am

Post #42 of 61 (939 views)
Shortcut
Uh oh [In reply to] Can't Post

Another WONDERFUL job - LOL you do know the cat's out of the bag now, we all know now that we have another writer on board *grins*.

Thank you most kindly for the compliment! Blush But I'm not a writer, I was just... Inspired. AngelicTongue Those just came to me, especially the first, seemingly almost out of nowhere. I don't think I could ever just sit down with the intention of actually starting to produce anything...

And we need to send all this to RA.Angelic

Ummm... How about... No? *considers between having a panic attack, running to the hills or hiding behind the sofa* LaughLaughLaugh
Actually, the thought is terrifying and weirdly exhilarating at the same time! Luckily only in theory... Tongue

This thread has been so much fun - you did us all a GREAT favor! Smile

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 15 2015, 5:13pm

Post #43 of 61 (896 views)
Shortcut
Like... [In reply to] Can't Post

Chocolate with sea salt, or chocolate covered pretzels, it you like eiher of those, and like bacon, I suspect you woudl find cholcolate covered bacon surprisingly tasty. I;ve never tried it, but I considered both of the above weird until I tried them, so I am now more open to the idea of salty/crunchy chocolate combinations.

Sausage and cheese covered in chocolate seems a bit much though...

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Feb 15 2015, 5:29pm

Post #44 of 61 (921 views)
Shortcut
Lovely thread - so thoughtful, so visually stunning, so [In reply to] Can't Post

CHOCOLATEY! ~drool~ I fancy so many of those tasty morsels, but all I have in the house is plain chocolate digestive biscuits - they'll have to do. Bacon, sausage or cheese with chocolate, however...? Ick. Might I suggest that just because we can, doesn't mean we should? Loving all the imagery on here, and the limericks - haven't written a limerick in years, must have a go.

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 15 2015, 5:51pm

Post #45 of 61 (925 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes please! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you! And LOVE limericks - there have been some really funny ones on TORn. It was my first time to try, and it's harder than it would seem, at least for meUnsure.

PS. What is a digestive biscuit? I have heard of those in the UK? is that a cookie? Or is that like our Pepto-Bismol - this pink stuff for digestive troubles. Which I may need after yesterday's chocolate-fest.Cool

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 15 2015, 5:58pm

Post #46 of 61 (892 views)
Shortcut
Chocolate bacon! [In reply to] Can't Post

Chocolate bacon! I have mixed feelings about - I had my first from a chocolatier from a trade show - and at first it tasted really good, and then I started thinking this is too much and then there were these rock hard chunks of bacon, I guess. Very salty.Frown

Maybe it depends a lot on the quality of the bacon? And the chocolate of course.

But sea salt caramel dark chocolates IMO are heaven - the big surprise to me was how good chocolate covered potato chips can be - pure SIN.Tongue

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 15 2015, 5:58pm

Post #47 of 61 (895 views)
Shortcut
Chocolate covered bacon is amazing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've tried it and it's really, really good. I've also had bacon ice cream and chocolate covered potato chips (crisps) - excellent also. It's the mix of sweet and salty that I really like.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Feb 15 2015, 10:58pm

Post #48 of 61 (912 views)
Shortcut
A digestive biscuit [In reply to] Can't Post

is a plain round cookie made with wholemeal flour, elevated to a luxury item by the addition of a coating of light or dark chocolate to one side. ~slurp~ McVities is a popular manufacturer in the UK.

(This post was edited by Greenwood Hobbit on Feb 15 2015, 11:01pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 17 2015, 12:57am

Post #49 of 61 (854 views)
Shortcut
Thank you 'coz to me a biscuit is like: [In reply to] Can't Post

Tho some cookies are called biscuits here. It's all good - especially a big fluffy biscuit like this one with honey butter. Or split with strawberries and cream.Tongue
(Of course ALL these biscuits are low-calorie and HEALTHFUL, as is chocolate.AngelicWink)

Kim
Valinor

Feb 17 2015, 1:12am

Post #50 of 61 (851 views)
Shortcut
Mmmmm, biscuits [In reply to] Can't Post

My mom made the best fluffy biscuits. And now I have a craving for one all warm with melty butter and honey. And sure, throw in some chocolate too, I need something low-cal and healthful. Wink

#OneLastTime

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.