The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why Thorin let Azog stab him....

NateGate
Rivendell

Feb 14 2015, 9:19pm

Post #1 of 6 (1807 views)
Shortcut
Why Thorin let Azog stab him.... Can't Post

Though most people would think that Thorin let Azog stab him simply because he saw it was the only way out, I beg to differ. The real reason why Thorin let the blade pass is quite simple enough, and can easily be determined from reading his facial expressions. Consider this scenario:

Thorin (to himself): Good thing I'm wearing my mithril! *releases Azog's blade*

BILBO YOU @#$%!&*!!!!!

I think it's plainly obvious Thorin forgot that Bilbo had his mithril (via dragon sickness) and expected Azog's blade to deflect off of himself. Am I right or am I right? xD

(This post was edited by NateGate on Feb 14 2015, 9:20pm)

Ilmatar
Rohan

Feb 14 2015, 9:23pm

Post #2 of 6 (1379 views)
Shortcut
The mithril shirt... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Would have been too small for Thorin. It just barely fit Bilbo. I don't think Thorin would have a false memory of having worn it.

NateGate
Rivendell

Feb 14 2015, 9:38pm

Post #3 of 6 (1318 views)
Shortcut
I think it would have... [In reply to] Can't Post

The mithril shirt was already huge on Bilbo, regardless of the fact that it was designed BY dwarves FOR dwarves. Honestly, the vestment is literally invincible and Thorin pawns it off to a burglar who already has a ring that makes him invisible. Clearly this oversight was a result of Thorin's dragon sickness. I'm laughing right now though because you took this post seriously, it was intended as a joke. xD

Ilmatar
Rohan

Feb 14 2015, 9:49pm

Post #4 of 6 (1279 views)
Shortcut
happy to be of assistance :D [In reply to] Can't Post

regardless of the fact that it was designed BY dwarves FOR dwarves.

Well, no, it was made for a young elven prince (much lighter build than dwarves): click

But no matter, I'm just happy to have made someone laugh for whatever reason Smile so something good came out of this thread!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 10:26pm

Post #5 of 6 (1214 views)
Shortcut
It sorta Fits..BUT "a Little Tight across the Chest"// [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Bernhardina
Rohan

Feb 14 2015, 11:28pm

Post #6 of 6 (1215 views)
Shortcut
This made me LOL xD // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.