Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How did the M-e films impact your enjoyment of JRRT Text versions?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How did the M-e films impact your enjoyment of JRRT Text versions?
No change - Film and Text exist separately in my mind
Enhanced my readings of the Text
Detracted; left the me wanting more from the Text
Film brought me to reading Text
Just experienced Film so far...
...and planning on reading something.
...and not planning on reading anything.
Film highlights superiority of text to me
View Results (65 votes)

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 9:04pm

Post #1 of 47 (1419 views)
Shortcut
How did the M-e films impact your enjoyment of JRRT Text versions? Can't Post

Hobbit and/or LOTR; by all means, detail if they impact your enjoyment of Sil, UT or other M-e works as well.

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Feb 14 2015, 11:26pm)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2015, 9:35pm

Post #2 of 47 (1275 views)
Shortcut
I adimit to only trying [In reply to] Can't Post

and not succeeding very well, to reading LOTR and The Hobbit when I was younger. I just couldn't get interested. My family tradition books growing up were very different so I was never exposed to "fantasy" books. It took me getting older to be able to read them and enjoy them. The movies filled in some of the details that my imagination hadn't gotten to yet. They made the books that much richer and made rereading them much more fun!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 9:59pm

Post #3 of 47 (1257 views)
Shortcut
The films brought me to the books [In reply to] Can't Post

More precisely, AUJ. I just had to find out how the story was going to end. Little did I know what I was getting myself into. Laugh

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 14 2015, 10:42pm

Post #4 of 47 (1243 views)
Shortcut
Had to vote … [In reply to] Can't Post

“No change”. . .

1. *This movie is based on the writings of JRR Tolkien*

2. *This movie is loosely based on the writings of JRR Tolkien*

3. *This movie is based on an idea by JRR Tolkien*

I’m torn between 2 and 3. . . CrazyCrazy

Oh, now I’ve done gone and given away my LOVE for THE TEXT!
Well, it’s Valentines Day.. Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart

Kim
Valinor

Feb 14 2015, 10:43pm

Post #5 of 47 (1258 views)
Shortcut
It's a combination [In reply to] Can't Post

I tend to see the story in the movies as separate from the text, so can enjoy each for what they are. At the same time, especially as I'm re-reading FOTR right now, I'm finding I can connect to it more when I think of the version of events in the movies. For example, having Bofur's tune in my head of The Man in the Moon makes reading it much more fun. And I do intend to read more of the books - I had only read TH and LOTR once before seeing the films, and the films prompted me to go back and re-read those, and consider tackling the Sil next.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 10:46pm

Post #6 of 47 (1248 views)
Shortcut
Yes, BF. Welcome to the habit (hobbit?) that is Middle-earth. // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Brethil on Feb 14 2015, 10:59pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 10:48pm

Post #7 of 47 (1265 views)
Shortcut
I love the text too [In reply to] Can't Post

and I missed a category I suppose...should have added 'Film highlights superiority of text to me.' Because that's a valid option too.

I am feeling between option 1 for LOTR, 2-3 for TH as you describe them!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Feb 14 2015, 10:51pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 10:51pm

Post #8 of 47 (1210 views)
Shortcut
I do love the songs too... [In reply to] Can't Post

and how actually hearing them sung reverberates when I read now. Cool

Another point that Film made me enjoy Text even more: the whole unexpectedness of Bilbo's Arkenstone plan plays out beautifully on screen. Its so novel, and that scene really WORKS, right out of the book. Made me tip my hat to JRRT, and say, well conceived, sir.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Feb 14 2015, 11:00pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 10:52pm

Post #9 of 47 (1220 views)
Shortcut
Well, Tolkien says he didn't write for children... [In reply to] Can't Post

so there, you were right on time. Like a Wizard.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2015, 11:32pm

Post #10 of 47 (1188 views)
Shortcut
For me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I tend to see the story in the movies as separate from the text, so can enjoy each for what they are. At the same time, especially as I'm re-reading FOTR right now, I'm finding I can connect to it more when I think of the version of events in the movies. For example, having Bofur's tune in my head of The Man in the Moon makes reading it much more fun.

Yeah, what Kim said. Wink I guess I think of them as separate but enhancing each another at the same time!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 15 2015, 2:28am

Post #11 of 47 (1194 views)
Shortcut
I said "no change", but it's not entirely true. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had pretty solid mental images after reading LotR almost yearly for 30 years before seeing the first movie. But the movies did rescue Boromir for me. I never thought much of him before.

And the last time I read the books, I had to fight to keep my dear, perfect, black-haired Faramir from being usurped by a pretender.

Annael
Immortal

Feb 15 2015, 2:53am

Post #12 of 47 (1203 views)
Shortcut
I'd have voted for that one [In reply to] Can't Post

or perhaps Movies proved that it's not possible to make a film that fully captures the text

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 15 2015, 3:36am

Post #13 of 47 (1189 views)
Shortcut
Your option is a bit more detailed [In reply to] Can't Post

and very much to JRRT's thoughts, I should think.

And since the RR just covered Tom and Goldberry, I am kinda glad they left that out. That may be completely impossible to really express. A part I can definitely say is better read than seen or heard.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 15 2015, 3:45am

Post #14 of 47 (1194 views)
Shortcut
They rescued Boromir from Bakshi for me [In reply to] Can't Post

because I saw it before I read LOTR, and read LOTR with that picture in mind. (Sorry all, just not a big Bakshi fan).

I must admit, though not a Bean-ophile, that moment when Boromir charges to rescue the Hobbits...I rewind it and watch it over and over. He's just such a beautiful model of the heroic, like Norse-god-heroic, right there. And he did so many little things, everyday noble things, along the way. Like comforting Gimli after Moria. Humanizing and redeeming. That has affected how I read him, nowadays.

I do enjoy a lot of film-Faramir (large changes notwithstanding) except for the Gollum-interrogation scene. I FF that one. I think that's just right out of character.

Konrad S
Lorien

Feb 15 2015, 5:07am

Post #15 of 47 (1186 views)
Shortcut
This was hard to understand,But i think i understand it now. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was also hard to chose but i take, Film brought me to reading Text bechause i saw all the films before i read the book, But with lotr was isnt so easy to read it when i was 5.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2015, 5:09am

Post #16 of 47 (1171 views)
Shortcut
Mostly no change, but with a dash of enhanced [In reply to] Can't Post

I read the books first, but in anticipation of the films. I read them knowing and expecting that changes would be made. I had seen the preview so I had a feel for the general look of the film, but nothing was locked in. I was able to imagine how things looked for myself. In some cases my original vision is what I picture when rereading the books, but sometimes I see the film. Sometimes seeing the film version is an intrusion, but often it just helps me focus on the words, which are often quite beautiful, rather than trying to conjure up a vision of Lothlorien.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 15 2015, 9:51am

Post #17 of 47 (1177 views)
Shortcut
I regret nothing [In reply to] Can't Post

For a while, I expected it to pass (as my excitement about such things usually does). By now, I've realized that that's not the case here, or, as Frodo would say, that there is no going back. Embracing the fact that I was beyond cure, I decided to join TORn, which has only made my condition worse, but also a lot more fun. LaughSmile

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 15 2015, 2:29pm

Post #18 of 47 (1168 views)
Shortcut
The EE did redeem film-Faramir for me to some extent. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I've always had such a clear picture in my mind of book-Faramir, and it gets overlaid by film-Faramir now when I don't want it to, probably because they're so visually different. I had a little of the same problem with Frodo, but not as much.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 15 2015, 3:00pm

Post #19 of 47 (1163 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to give an awkward answer ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think age has had the biggest impact on my enjoyment of Tolkien's Middle-earth. The story I read at 10 years old isn't the same one I read now. My knowledge and understanding is completely different to how it was. As it will also be in another 25 years time.

And mingled in with growing up, is the impact of the movies *and* this forum. I don't think I could discern the impact of the movies from within the impact of age. It iss always being enhanced, whether I like it (movies/forum) or not (growing up).

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Feb 15 2015, 3:02pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 16 2015, 4:44pm

Post #20 of 47 (1127 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you answered! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think its a great thing when the films inspire reading of the books. Both can be enjoyed but its such an internal, imaginative journey with the books.

(And yes, 5 is a *little* young for LOTR! Wink )

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 16 2015, 4:46pm

Post #21 of 47 (1126 views)
Shortcut
I have that feeling for the Shire too [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sometimes seeing the film version is an intrusion, but often it just helps me focus on the words, which are often quite beautiful, rather than trying to conjure up a vision of Lothlorien.

Now the vision as filmed is always there, because it filmed so perfectly.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Feb 16 2015, 4:47pm)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Feb 16 2015, 4:50pm

Post #22 of 47 (1116 views)
Shortcut
Wow, this was a really hard one to answer, Brethil [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say more that the movies enhanced my reading of Middle earth in Tolkien's text but at the same time, the text sometimes detracted from my enjoyment of Middle earth in Jackson's films. I am unable to keep each universe completely separate in my head, though I think it would be ideal if I could.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 16 2015, 5:04pm

Post #23 of 47 (1098 views)
Shortcut
I have such a fondness for Faramir, and his name [In reply to] Can't Post

This is quite OT, and not sure if you ever read anything about my son's 'name change' (I may have posted it once) but when he watched LOTR at nine years old, he just adored Faramir over everyone. I told him, that was my chosen middle name for him before he was born but alas, I was roundly shot down in the idea. So he decided to adopt it anyway, at about eleven years old...so his 'middle names' are now John Faramir. Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 16 2015, 5:06pm

Post #24 of 47 (1113 views)
Shortcut
"You are not the same Hobbit that you were!" [In reply to] Can't Post

It has that way of changing as you change. I think because JRRT hit the mark with 'elemental truths'. They emerge in the eye of the beholder.

I get you. Completely.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 16 2015, 5:09pm

Post #25 of 47 (1113 views)
Shortcut
Is it that in Film, parts are missing? Or just that the text tells it better? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'd say more that the movies enhanced my reading of Middle earth in Tolkien's text but at the same time, the text sometimes detracted from my enjoyment of Middle earth in Jackson's films. I am unable to keep each universe completely separate in my head, though I think it would be ideal if I could.

And I think one of the reasons I *do* like Film so much is that to me, they are very separate. Makes it much easier.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.