Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Do you think Richard Armitage should have been Aragorn?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 14 2015, 1:13am

Post #26 of 57 (1005 views)
Shortcut
very interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I find it fascinating how quickly loyaltys are changed, not long ago viggo was considered perfect , an untouchable casting, now some new guy comes along and suddenly viggo is being replaced in the role that got us here.

i dont get this place, RA is nowhere in the same league as Viggo, the breadth of work this man has done is fascinating, a true auteur, working with interesting directors independant projects and foreign language. even if you took away lotr it wouldnt matter, that was almost an anomoly in his career. he is a true artist. when RA makes something with real value, give me a call.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 14 2015, 1:29am

Post #27 of 57 (990 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps you don't get this place [In reply to] Can't Post

because there's a wider range of thought in the world out there than your own personal opinions. And most of us work on that premise and find a way to accept differences in opinions.

just saying.

I don't have your number but watch:

North and South
MI5/Spooks
Macbeth in ShakespeaRe-Told
and yes, even Vicar of Dibley because well done humor is of real value.

There's a few people here who can speak to his performance on stage in The Crucible (and have done so on Off Topic) but I haven't seen it.

If you have, and dismissed them, then Chacun à son goût. Not dismissing either of those men, I get to enjoy two good actors. I feel rich. :-)

I find it fascinating how quickly loyaltys are changed, not long ago viggo was considered perfect , an untouchable casting, now some new guy comes along and suddenly viggo is being replaced in the role that got us here.

That's all straw man stuff.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 1:40am

Post #28 of 57 (1037 views)
Shortcut
I would add RA was an exceptional part [In reply to] Can't Post

of an exceptional cast in last year's Pinter on Proust, which I had the privilege of seeing with Dame Ioreth. I wish he would do another live performance in NY soon, because it would be something really worthwhile, I am sure.

I am with you in feeling rich; Viggo is also an exceptional Renaissance Man of many art forms. I am happy that the same franchise that I love so much showcased their talents.Angelic

(BTW I think RA would make a wonderful Feanor.)

(This post was edited by Brethil on Feb 14 2015, 1:46am)

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 14 2015, 1:58am

Post #29 of 57 (991 views)
Shortcut
i do [In reply to] Can't Post

its not just a personal opinion, its from the on the breadth and obvious depth of the work! the work you listed by RA (seen all the tv work) is mainly in no way of any comparable merit, vicar of dibley, spooks ? cmon.

I dont dislike RA or think he is a bad actor but the evidence is clear.

I also think RA appeals mainly to women, but viggo appeals to both.

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 2:18am

Post #30 of 57 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Aha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:

So that's why I like Richard Armitage. And here I was thinking he's a very good actor, but really I only like him 'cause I'm a lady.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2015, 3:11am

Post #31 of 57 (1006 views)
Shortcut
What other possible explanation is there [In reply to] Can't Post

except femine hormones?
Wink

In Reply To
Quote:

So that's why I like Richard Armitage. And here I was thinking he's a very good actor, but really I only like him 'cause I'm a lady.

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 14 2015, 3:24am

Post #32 of 57 (942 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I think he would have made a great Aragorn if time was not a consideration [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though I think VM played the role very well. Remember all the talk about how VM inhabits a role, becomes a character? It seems that RA does a similar thing. Recall that he stayed in the Thorin character. I'd never seen VM except for that bit part he had in The Witness. And I'm with those who don't particularly care for VMs voice. It's just too quiet. In LOTR, he practicality whispered even when I didn't think it was appropriate. Just not my personal preference.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 14 2015, 3:44am

Post #33 of 57 (958 views)
Shortcut
So *that's* why... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would sign a petition to have Richard overdub Viggo's lines in LotR. ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 14 2015, 3:57am

Post #34 of 57 (981 views)
Shortcut
I don't think I have any hormones left [In reply to] Can't Post

... and I think they took my patience for certain things with them.

Anyone got a link to that survey of which actor appeals to which demographic? I can't seem to find it.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Feb 14 2015, 3:58am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2015, 4:00am

Post #35 of 57 (935 views)
Shortcut
No, absolutely not.// [In reply to] Can't Post

//

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Feb 14 2015, 10:56am

Post #36 of 57 (905 views)
Shortcut
as of now he could have been [In reply to] Can't Post

too young when it was filmed though. To me he fits the physical description of book Aragorn better than Viggo. Best Aragorn would have been one of the apparent original picks, Daniel Day Lewis. Tall, dark and lean, just like in the book. And his face has a kingly profile.

I think Viggo portrayed Aragorns humility and nobility well for the most part, considering what he had to work with.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 11:29am

Post #37 of 57 (922 views)
Shortcut
He'd make a fantastic Aragorn now.... [In reply to] Can't Post

And that's not decrying Viggo Mortensen in any way - he made the role his own. But both men are actors and extremely good ones. Richard Armitage would make a different Aragorn but an equally compelling one - now. When LotR was made he would have been far too young.

CathrineB
Rohan

Feb 14 2015, 11:38am

Post #38 of 57 (919 views)
Shortcut
Nah [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a fan of Viggo, but I think he's good as Aragorn. As others says I think Richard would have been too young at the time possibly.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 14 2015, 11:55am

Post #39 of 57 (923 views)
Shortcut
Thanks very much for letting me know about this [In reply to] Can't Post

I will try to get around to reading it when I have time, given the amount of reading I have to do anyway!Smile

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 14 2015, 12:48pm

Post #40 of 57 (933 views)
Shortcut
appeal [In reply to] Can't Post

why is it a bad thing to say that RA and i suppose also orlando bloom appeal to female audience, thats not a critiscism, thats just a fact. but its an interesting observation, viggo has a broader appeal thats for sure

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Feb 14 2015, 2:30pm

Post #41 of 57 (911 views)
Shortcut
In 1999 Richard Armitage [In reply to] Can't Post

was a complete unknown.
He made an uncredited cameo as a Naboo fighter pilot in The Phantom Menace. He had done nothing yet. And of course he looked very different from now.

Daniel Day Lewis is an excellent actor, and he would have made a wonderful Aragorn.
In theory.
He would have never gone to New Zealand for such a long time and to work with Peter Jackson, who probably had no appeal whatsoever to him.

Viggo needed a challenge and was willing to challenge himself on such a mammoth project.

Viggo was the right man at the right time. One of the strong points of PJ's films is casting.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 14 2015, 2:38pm

Post #42 of 57 (896 views)
Shortcut
its not a fact the unless you can back it up with some data [In reply to] Can't Post

Otherwise, its an opinion. But you know that and I gave up arguing points like that ages ago.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Feb 14 2015, 2:43pm

Post #43 of 57 (915 views)
Shortcut
RA would actually be my first choice to play Eol if the Sil were being made today [In reply to] Can't Post

He's such a good, versatile actor that I think he would make a fine Aragorn, but I think he would make a really thrilling Eol. A bit of typecasting, perhaps, but it's just so easy to imagine him in that role, and he's an actor who could give Eol all the complexity and inner turmoil that is implied in the story.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 14 2015, 3:35pm

Post #44 of 57 (915 views)
Shortcut
ooooo! *ponders* Fascinating thought! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lemmie work on that!

Not bad!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 5:17pm

Post #45 of 57 (907 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear. Is that why Ladies can't be film critics? // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What other possible explanation is there except femine hormones?
Wink

In Reply To
Quote:

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 5:58pm

Post #46 of 57 (932 views)
Shortcut
Mmm.... the little ladies can't be relied on to think clearly.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I am left wondering why my brother and my nephew were so pleased that Richard Armitage was cast as Thorin.... Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 14 2015, 6:04pm

Post #47 of 57 (872 views)
Shortcut
You're far too busy for that. [In reply to] Can't Post

You look after the kids, Brethil, while us men discuss movies and stuff. Unsure

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Feb 14 2015, 6:05pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 6:19pm

Post #48 of 57 (853 views)
Shortcut
There we have some good, solid Viking sensibilities. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 14 2015, 6:20pm

Post #49 of 57 (856 views)
Shortcut
An unfathomable oddity, Dormouse. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But I am left wondering why my brother and my nephew were so pleased that Richard Armitage was cast as Thorin.... Wink

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2015, 7:14pm

Post #50 of 57 (854 views)
Shortcut
The Crucible [In reply to] Can't Post

From all accounts (critics and folks I know who know theatre) his John Proctor was spellbinding.

I've seen him on stage in a reading of Pinter on Proust and Even with the bare-bones production values, I thought his Swann was amazing. He covered a number of parts with ease and put as much into the smallest part and the most inconsequential line as he did Swann. I'm asuming Pinter would at least meet this subjective "art" bar?

While TV may not be artistic enough for some, his Lucas North was very good. I watched him construct and then deconstruct that character and was blown away by his ability to portray the range required.

I thought his John Thornton not only did justice to the book, but also to the soul of the character. Again, TV so maybe not "artistic" enough.

Sparkhouse - another great part in a wonderful adaptation. He disappeared into that part and brought to it an vulnerability that made me cry for him. But yes, TV... so maybe that doesn't meet the grade either.

The Impressionists - Claude Monet. He brought Monet to life in a fresh way. I've read some of Monet's writings and the soul of the artist that I heard in my head was portrayed by Armitage. Whoops, not art house just another TV movie.

VIggo has done some fantastic work... and has had some real less than stellar stuff (Walk on the Moon, G.I.Jane, Texas Chainsaw Massacre #42 or whatever it was?) . He's stayed pretty much in movies and also been offered more of the art project work because of his own work in independent publishing. He is very much a renaissance man. I loved his Aragorn except for a few of the speeches (as someone else said) that sounded a bit squeaky. (I too wanted to hear a baritone voice for Aragorn.) He had the vagabond vibe that was perfect for what I saw as the Strider side of Aragorn. His King Aragorn was less than what I saw in my head. The transition was incomplete, but then we only saw the very first days of his reign.

Richard I think would play Aragorn in a different way making the comparison rather hard to make. I don't have a doubt that he would be able to deliver a stunning performance, but it would not be Viggo's Aragorn, the scruffy hide in the shadows would be king. It's only a guess, but I think he might include some of the elf influence in Aragorn's life, possibly more of the inner struggle. Both actors have in their arsenal a haunted look that is essential to the character.

Which would do it better? Can't choose but I would love to be able to see both so I could try!

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Feb 16 2015, 3:41pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.